West TX, Monahans Sandhills (killer sunsets), and Davis Mts.

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

West TX, Monahans Sandhills (killer sunsets), and Davis Mts.

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Would like to put together a big ole trip report, lotsa details and pics, etc. But then it becomes this huge thing you never do because it's so freakin' huge you get intimidated and never do anything. So, in the interest of getting something down before it's old news, will try a summary and go from there, maybe fill in the blanks as they arise.

Week before Christmas I spent 10 days in the teardrop, traveling from TN to west TX because I love the wide open spaces. There's alot of things I love about the west, actually.

Of the 500-600 images I took, got 45 of 'em in a Flickr set. If you don't do anything else, you gotta watch the Monahans sunset video. It's only 30 seconds, but at this moment as we stare down the barrel of a big snowstorm (by TN standards), it's about the most beautiful place in the world.
Sunset video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skooterpics/4249082919/in/set-72157623045928780/

Entire photo set at this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skooterpics/sets/72157623045928780/ Image
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:00 pm

For those of you who's never tried winter camping, if you like solitude, put it on your must-do list. Midweek if possible. Nothing like being the only person in the entire campground. It's almost creepy...in a good sorta way. :thumbsup: Esp if you're an introvert, or if your job is lower management like mine and you get sick and darned tired of people pecking you to death like ducks all the time and you need a few days to breathe.
Scooter
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Boy! :shock: 80 MPH? This granny driver will be in trouble if she ever drives through Texas!

Great pics! Nice video at the end, too. Thanks for sharing.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:09 pm

You wanna know what's insane? Getting back to TN, I-40 between Memphis and Nashville was like NASCAR at Talladega. Couple times I got in the fast lane and kept up, just to see what they were doing...90 miles an hour, no lie, for a good 200 miles. :? At one point I noticed things slowed to about 80 (in a 70) when passing a trooper...who just sat there, eating his donut (most likely), not caring how fast people went. :roll:
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Deserted 1912 schoolhouse in Toyah, TX. I'm fascinated by such places, call me strange. Link with more info: http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Toyah_Texas/Toyah_Texas.htm
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Killer sunsets; sunrises aren't so bad either. Monahans Sandhills State Park. I appreciate David Dotter, park superintendent for the care he and his staff take of this magnificent place.
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm

was that Ft. Davis?
and were you in the snow here in West Texas on Christmas Eve?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Scooter wrote:You wanna know what's insane? Getting back to TN, I-40 between Memphis and Nashville was like NASCAR at Talladega. Couple times I got in the fast lane and kept up, just to see what they were doing...90 miles an hour, no lie, for a good 200 miles. :? At one point I noticed things slowed to about 80 (in a 70) when passing a trooper...who just sat there, eating his donut (most likely), not caring how fast people went. :roll:

The last time I went through Nashville it was 80mph in town. :? They really don't slow down often. Lovely pictures and sunset! Thanks for the tour.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:12 pm

Laredo wrote:was that Ft. Davis?
and were you in the snow here in West Texas on Christmas Eve?

yes and yes

Perchance do you or someone on the forum own a blue teardrop that was traveling northbound on Rt 17 on Wed, Dec 23 sometime around midmorning?

This was the drive up to McDonald Observatory:
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Scooter,

Great pic's :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks................

wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 pm

Had planned the entire 75 mile scenic loop around Davis Mts, but with low clouds restricting views decided to head back to the state park, more specifically Indian Lodge for a big ole lunch at Black Bear Restaurant.
Neat place, built by the CCC back in the 1930's, complete with wifi less than a mile from the campground.
Kinda tacky taking a pic after the first bite; forgive me, I was famished. :D Tomato basil wrap w/fried green beans
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Picnic area at Monahans. There's something I like about this pic, but can't figure out what it is. :thinking:
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Scooter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 pm

another one from Toyah (many of these aren't on the flickr set)
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 am

Hey Scooter, I love this report and all the great pics. Course, I was born in West Texas -- Monahans, in fact. Heck, I thought a tree and a tumbleweed were the same thing until I was 6 years old. My dad was in the oil field supply business and we left the area in the late 50's for the oil fields in Kansas and then on to South Louisianna. I've only been back a very few times, once on my way down to Big Bend which is another trip you owe yourself.

Your pics stir me to make another trip out, this time with the TD. Thank-you for sharing them.:applause: :applause: :applause:

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Scooter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:15 am

Toytaco2 wrote:Hey Scooter, I love this report and all the great pics. Course, I was born in West Texas -- Monahans, in fact. Heck, I thought a tree and a tumbleweed were the same thing until I was 6 years old. My dad was in the oil field supply business and we left the area in the late 50's for the oil fields in Kansas and then on to South Louisianna. I've only been back a very few times, once on my way down to Big Bend which is another trip you owe yourself.

Your pics stir me to make another trip out, this time with the TD. Thank-you for sharing them.:applause: :applause: :applause:

Mike

I really enjoyed it. The area is one of those little known jewels that strikes me just right. Gotta admit, driving out there through Midland/Odessa with their industrial look (heck, they even smell like petroleum) I began to wonder what kind of nutjob I was vacationing in such a place. Until you get past M/O and the landscape seems to purify itself and the sandhills are superb. The howl of coyotes at dusk and lonely train whistle in the distance are a nice touch. :thumbsup:
Scooter
500 Club

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales