POST YOUR 4TH JULY '11 PICS HERE....

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

POST YOUR 4TH JULY '11 PICS HERE....

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Went up last Wed and just got home...5 nights of camping at 5500' elev. Nice and cool at nights, kinda warm days though. It snowed at 6500 Tues. night, so when I got there, lots of tenters were drying everything out as it was a gully washer up there. What's nice is that it's 23 miles from the house. Penny and Rich got the people and eats pics. Doug

On the way up, Desolation Wilderness area up ahead.

First 2 nights site.

The lake

View from campsite.

Steve and Patty's Scotty...
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Canoeing on the Current River (Salem, MO)

Postby GeoDrop » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:37 pm

We spent our Independence Day weekend near Salem, MO canoeing on the current river. Here are a few shots. Few more here.

YouTube Video
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Re: POST YOUR 4TH JULY '11 PICS HERE....

Postby caseydog » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:57 pm

doug hodder wrote:Went up last Wed and just got home...5 nights of camping at 5500' elev. Nice and cool at nights, kinda warm days though. It snowed at 6500 Tues. night, so when I got there, lots of tenters were drying everything out as it was a gully washer up there. What's nice is that it's 23 miles from the house. Penny and Rich got the people and eats pics. Doug

On the way up, Desolation Wilderness area up ahead.

First 2 nights site.

The lake

View from campsite.

Steve and Patty's Scotty...

Okay, I hate you -- at least for now.

It is 105 degrees at my house. I could go camping in the woods -- where it would only be 103.

Of course, there would be no campfire, because the whole state is under a burn ban. It is a coin toss from county to county as to if I could even use my charcoal grill.

So, I am the fourth of July Grinch.

I hope you enjoyed your weekend in the mountains with the morning fog and the cool waters. :roll:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby honeask » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:11 pm

OK we did not camp but always stay in these cabins on the Frio River. They are begging for rain as it is almost desert like. The terrain is dismal to say the least. A sad view right now. The river is quite low but the friends are great so we are not really suffering. We drove thru Garner State Park to see if we could find any teardrops.....nope! It is so hot it would be a miserable camping trip. I will be eagerly awaiting the arrival of our teardrop to get in some early fall trips when the heat dies down. Happy 4th to everyone.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:13 am

My new place is right across the street from the park where four small towns got together for one big fireworks event. I put my folding chair and my tripod in my guitar case and and tossed it over my shoulder and walked across the street. I got some good photos.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2283632689529.2138137.1210224460&l=2ad60fbb09
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby T@Baker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:24 am

We also went on a canoe float at Ozark Outdoors River Resort near Leasburg, MO.

Hot and very humid on Friday. Saturday was les humid and more tolerable, and we enjoyed the cool Meramec. Sunday we did a canoe float, and later than evening we had a slight rain for two hours which brought us cooler temps just in time for the spectacular firework show put on by the campground. Great weekend!

Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

4th of July - Ice House style

Postby Rocketgirl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Flan..by Doug... with garni!

Bosco the wonder dog

Chicken Curry and Dumplings

Beverages...sip...sip...

Steve and Patty... taking a breather from making waffle dogs
[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=80663[img][/img][/img]
Rocketgirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rainjer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm

My son and I went to the 10th (and last) annual 4th of July in Carnation gathering.

We had 70+ trailer in attendance. Lots of fun and food. The gathering is held at the home of Ken and Marty Madsen in Carnation Washington. I have attended it for the last 6 years and every time has been great.

There were tractor rides, horse drawn wagon rides and of course the rumble seat rides in Ken's collection of vintage cars. On the 4th we rode the tractor into town (about 2.5 miles) to watch the parade.

We even had a special guest....

More pictures:
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/therainjer/Carnation%202011/

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby 2bits » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Jeremy, That is the coolest kind of gathering right there! I hope to attend one similar some day.

Here are my photos, fireworks only. I have a city park with a four town festival going on right there and it is right across the street. There were cars everywhere, and I just walked over, took about 5 min.

The soccer fields as people were coming in. It was full by the time the show started.

Red white and blue to start the night

They had alot of images imbedded in them (No it wasn't drug induced, everyone saw them haha) This is a dandelion

Hard to pick between these two, so here they both are:

Same for these two, these are my favorite shots of the night:

This is Saturn:

It was a good show, and while every one else was in traffic for an hour, I just walked across the street :)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:47 pm

Slow, it sounds like you had a pretty awesome 4th... If this job hadn't came your way then it would not have been such a great day. We can't camp all the time, I know I have taken this entire freaking season off, but we do what we need to do. I am glad you were able to keep the wheels turnin!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Alleged User » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:42 am

I don't have pictures as beautiful as you all posted. I was so happy to be camping in our trailer for the first time that it's about all I got pictures of. :oops:

Had a great long weekend camping on Cape Cod. Spent my first birthday camping here at Maple Park, and my family goes every year. Just wish I'd have gotten more pictures of the surrounds for you all. Cranberry bogs, amazing fireworks, soaring pines, and a nice beach...love the place. Anyhoo...

And my brother's cabin car...

Hope you all had a great 4th of July.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby BillZ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:23 pm

My wife and I also had our first outing in the new Tear. We went to New Germany State Park in the mountains of western Maryland. It is currently our favorite campground and we have come here on the 4th for the last 3 years.

At about 2,500 ft elevation, It was a nice break from the heat of DC. Days were around 75-80 and nights were down in the 50's.

Like many of you said, our tear drew attention and we had a few come by to take a look.

Camp site

I am glad I built the side tables because they really came in handy!

Steak and potato salad

Me on a trail Image

My wife, Julia on a hiking trail.

Blooming Rhododendrons

This part of Maryland gets a lot of rain so we had no shortage of interesting fungus

Salamander

King of my domain

We saw a young couple decide to move to a different site in an unusual way. I took a pic and later asked them where I could get a Volvo tent.

I didn't remember to get pictures of the park so here's one of New Germany Lake that I took a couple of years ago.

Last edited by BillZ on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillZ
The 300 Club

My 4th

Postby ssrjim » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:51 pm

We went to Show Low Az and met up with a dozen trailers:

Rained every afternoon:

We were in the parade on the 4th:

Many photos of the area here:
http://gallery.me.com/ramjim#100897

We made an extra day out of it and stayed at Canyon Point campgound. The forest was closed so no hiking or we would have stayed another day:
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Cow or Bull Camp

Postby stumphugger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:23 am

I had not intended to go camping on the 4th. On the evening of the 2nd, a neighbor seemed to have upped the arms race and was firing a mortar sounding device. Our weather had warmed up but I had to shut the windows to keep The Used Dog calm. So, I made a phone call, and the next day we hauled the Little Guy 12 miles out to what I call "Cow Camp".
We camped in a cow pasture. The cows came over and snuffed the trailer. A bull was there when I went back to get something. He didn't shoe away so I hoped he would be kind and not tip anything over. He was good. There were no cow/bull pies to deal with either.

The Used Dog is a clean fellow. He does not do the shoulder drop roll or any roll in cow pies so I was happy to have this place to go to. We stayed two nights.

Night one, I had the rear of the dog presented to my head, but there were no gastric problems of the dog stomach, so it was OK except for knees in my back. It is amazing how a dog, who likes to curl up in a too small puppy bed, will SPREAD OUT in a queensized bed.

Night two, The Used Dog assumed the opposite position. I had to turn off the fan after waking up coughing. Camping in a pasture this time of year isn't the best for hay fever. So, I woke up to snoring and dogbreath on my neck.

I left The Used Dog with the property dog. They stayed in the house while we humans went to a party and the fireworks show. The fireworks
staging area had to change--the school moved the football field, and we now sit within "shrapnel" distance. I wore a hat, after getting a hit on the head last year.

It was an excellent show. Our volunteer fire dept. puts it on. I didn't take any photos.

The Used Dog was happy, I was tired, and we returned home. Traffic was horrible. I had to wait for 4 cars to go by before making my left turn onto the highway. :)

He's not at all grumpy like he looks in this picture. He is a gentle, kind fellow. Breakfast.

The reason for camping.
A view of the hayfield.

We'll return in August for an annual gathering.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby stumphugger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:01 pm

The only irrigation of that field comes from the sky. I live on the Wet side of the mountains. We get lots of rain. In fact, this winter, which ended last week is the fourth wettest on record.

There are a half dozen curious cows in that pasture. One will soon be in the freezer--the bull. But it will be happy meat and all grass fed.
Here is half the herd, enjoying a fire earlier this year.

I grew up on the dry side of the state, and we irrigated and raised alfalfa.
Changing hand lines when there was ice on the sprinklers was not fun.

Now, back to the cow camp. I am on call to drive the pickup and pull the hay trailer around. I do it for beer and a hot dog. My friends have helped me out in a few emergencies so I return the favors. So, I'll dose up with hay fever pills and go out and operate machinery. :D

I am descended from Scandihoovian cowboys on one side of the family. :)
Yah, you betcha!
stumphugger
500 Club

Next

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales