Florida Trip Advice?

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Florida Trip Advice?

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 am

Wife finally retired, now what? We took one camping trip this summer but it was in a stretch of 100+ heat index! We used to end up in Florida all the time because my parents lived in Naples. Now we want to camp there for a few weeks this winter. Any advice for state or federal parks is greatly appreciated.

Tt in Ohio
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Florida Trip Advice?

Postby ae6black » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:28 pm

I spent the 40 dollars and got a years membership to the RV trip wizard. I like reading how others have fared in the campgrounds that I am considering. Allstays is a great app as well. With this membership, I can see how far I can drive comfortable distances and what campgrounds are available when I am tired of driving. then I call and make reservations with the phone number that is listed for the campground. If it's off season I just show up and take my chances. Was a huge blessing when I traveled to Texas this past spring. Knew what to expect before I got there. I really don't like surprises.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:12 am

The US Army Corps of Engineers have 3 camping spots on a canal in Southern Florida. They are Ortona, WP Franklin and St Lucie. Franklin is just outside of Ft Myers, Ortona is in LaBElle and St Lucie just west of LaBElle. They are 3 nice spots all on the water. If you have a National Parks Pass the sites are 12 bucks a night with full hookups.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Hey thanks guys. This is the sort of info I'm looking for. Florida is packed in the winter and not all places are worth camping. We don't want an RV parking lot! The only place we have visited was tent camping at Koreshan SP in Estero south of Ft. Meyers. We found this a nice place. We have a spot reserved in January but only for 3 days. I would like a spot in north Florida near I75 to break up the trip.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales