Northwestern New York State

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Northwestern New York State

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:32 am

Last Sunday we set out for four days at Darien Lakes State Park in New York. It was the closest campsite we could find to Niagara Falls with reasonable rates. The park has a small lake, and campsites, so, except for some day use from the Buffalo-Rochester area, it seems to be for those of us who want to explore the area. It has hot showers, but not much else to recommend it, frankly

166548 166549 166547

Our first night was spent at the site in the first picture. Noisy neighbors who lit off fire crackers after the evening quiet time (no response from any officials in the park). The next afternoon we complained and moved to a site near the edge of the field (the original offenders were gone). The third picture is just to show we are no longer in dry New Mexico! Although it rained coming up, we actually had a great week weather-wise.

We had a self-inflicted injury starting out, when the jack popped off the ball coming out or my Mom's driveway :oops:

166551 166550

Made the tear a little wobbly until we put the levelers down; so they are useful after all!

Funny story about that: We thought about trying to fix it while out there and I went to a TSC and, after looking around, asked a worker where they had their files. "What kind of files?" was the answer. Not missing an opportunity, I audited their paperwork and... nah! :FNP

In fact, they did not have files, but I found a mill file at the auto parts store next door (guy said that's the first one he remembers selling). After all that, we still haven't fixed our jack. I'll dig into my Dad's tools this week and see if we have what we need.

I ruined a camera at Niagara Falls many years ago (from the mist), so didn't take any pictures there this time. Of course, anything like that is easy to find on the webs now.

We also went to Old Fort Niagara, where we were met by French Marines, who demonstrated musketry and artillery

166552 166553 166556

The building is "The French Castle" which was the original "trading post" the Iroquois allowed the French to build. They were snookered--they hadn't bargained for a fortified building. The French expanded the fort for the British, who took it during the 7 years war (French and Indian War). The British were supposed to evacuate the fort after the American revolutionary war, but didn't until years later. Even then, they had their fingers crossed and took it back during the War of 1812. After they evacuated it, they built a new fort in Canada (hiding it behind some apartment buildings)

I'm hoping Canada opens up soon so we can get over there and hear their side of the story!

I'd been to the fort as a child, but didn't remember being able to see the Toronto skyline on the other side of the lake

We also visited the George Eastman museum in Rochester. (No pictures--ironically.) I'd been there as a child with my Grandparents (Grandfather worked for Kodak). It includes Eastman's mansion, and several photographic art galleries, as well as a few exhibits of old cameras.

After Darien Lakes, we were able to get a site for two nights at Letchworth State Park. It was a 50 foot site, so we invited my uncle, who sold his house in March and is touring the region in a van, to join us

166567 166573

He brought out his coffee maker, so the 120 vac outlet in our galley was justified

Only minor complaint about that campsite--the hot water didn't work.

Letchworth is well worth the trip. Three water falls

166568 166571 166572

plenty of hiking trails, and other nature

That's a relatively new railroad bridge, replacing an old one.

The thick forest in Letchworth is typical of most of Upstate NY, including my folk's back yard, and every place we camped. It brings back many memories, and is a wonderful place to explore in a small camper.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Northwestern New York State

Postby Spotman » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:46 am

:thumbsup: Wow Tom, that is a beautiful part of New York. Glad you enjoyed the trip, except those rowdy noise makers! :frightened:

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Re: Northwestern New York State

Postby Bezoar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:14 am

Looks like a great trip! I love seeing the trailers out in the wild!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales