Crowne Point SP NY, Ticondaroga, and the Eastern Adirondacks

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Crowne Point SP NY, Ticondaroga, and the Eastern Adirondacks

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:14 am

Ignoring hurricane warnings involving New England, two weeks ago we took a trip to Northeastern NY, Vermont, and New Hampshire. We spent the first three days at Crown (oops--thought it had an extra "e") Point State Park in New York, on Lake Champlain. What could sound nicer, at least in theory?

Turns out, possibly due to the rain this year, the camping area is a swamp

167054 167056

The grounds keeper told us he wanted to throw some dirt fill in the areas, but once the cat tails start, it's officially a swamp, and they aren't allowed to touch it

It rained our first night, so, instead of making dinner, we used it as an excuse to go out looking for a dry place to eat. Fortunately for us, the bridge to Vermont is right there, so we crossed, and found a small town with some delicious flat bread (okay, "pizza"). We were happy: The food was good, and I got to color in another state!

The weather was great the next morning, so we had a look around and found a covered fishing pier, and a monument to Champlain himself. (Far as I am aware, there is no pressure to remove this guy from favored monument status.)

167058 167059

We went on to Fort Ticonderoga, which Shelly thinks is just like Old Fort Niagara, but which I know is much much different. For one thing, Fort Ticonderoga is privately run. Also, it played a smaller role in the War of 1812. Anyway, we started with a boat trip on the Carillon (named for the French name for the fort), which was a nice trip up and down that part of the lake while docent gave us an oral history of the fort and the area around it

167060 167061 167063

When we arrived at the fort proper they greeted us with a band, and shot at Vermont in celebration

167066 167065 167062 167064

The next day, we explored the Eastern Adirondacks. We went to Ausable Chasm, but were disappointed to find it is a tourist trap, and wanted $38 for the two of us to have the privilege to hike their trails. We said "no" but did take a free walk upstream from the Chasm

Same problem when we got to High Falls Gorge: They wanted $20 for two to hike. I told Shelly we can find nice hikes with waterfalls closer to home (our Summer home in Endicott NY). (One is Buttermilk Falls, described in another folder.) Anyway, in the Adirondacks we did explore Lake Placid and Saranac Lake. (Lake Placid, of course, hosted the Winter Olympics back in 1980.)

When growing up, my family would spend two weeks a year in (the Western) Adirondacks. It's a great place to relax with a family, with plenty of (free) hiking and some good boating opportunities if you happen to own one, especially if you are camping on a lake. My advice is to watch out for private enterprises up there--often charging very high prices for little value!

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Crowne Point SP NY, Ticondaroga, and the Eastern Adirond

Postby twisted lines » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:09 am

Good to see you out there enjoying it :thumbsup:
Pictures are great and encouraging, the site looks like a wet golf coarse, I hate golfing :lol:
All things I will never visit,
on your way home you may cross off a few states I have flown over, can I mark them off as well?
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bezoar » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:50 am

Are we at war with Vermont?!!

Great pics - thanks for the inspiration to keep plugging away at construction!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:33 pm

twisted lines wrote:Good to see you out there enjoying it :thumbsup:
Pictures are great and encouraging, the site looks like a wet golf coarse, I hate golfing :lol:
All things I will never visit,
on your way home you may cross off a few states I have flown over, can I mark them off as well?

Thank you!

We brought a cat with us so only spent 5 days driving between New Mexico and New York and so didn't see much on the way. Hence the gray states on our map. If we didn't have her, we probably would spend a few weeks each way, and travel a different route each time, and so cover a lot of the middle US. Someday...

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:39 pm

Bezoar wrote:Are we at war with Vermont?!!

Great pics - thanks for the inspiration to keep plugging away at construction!

Thanks!

Vermont didn't seem too upset when we drove through a few days later. They did seem to lay their roads out to make it difficult to get from Upstate New York to New Hampshire though.
That may have been the first time we took three odd numbered interstates in a row, all intersecting... :thinking:

Anyway, keep constructing! By all indications, New England is friendly to teardrops. :)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales