Moose Brook and Greenfield State Parks NH

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Moose Brook and Greenfield State Parks NH

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:16 pm

After Crown Point State Park in NY, we went to Moose Brook State Park in Northern New Hampshire. Rainy when we got there, but it was higher in the mountains (the White mountains, in this case) and not quite as hot and muggy as Crown Point or (later in our trip) Greenfield State Parks. Plenty of trees between sites at both NH parks. Both have running water and Moose Brook has quarter operated showers.

Incidentally, none of these campsites have shore power, and it was hot enough, even with rain, that we kept the fan on all night. Would generally run our AGM battery down about 5% each night. We left the solar panel out all day when traveling and sometimes picked up a little juice when the Sun made brief appearances, but mostly we charged from our tow vehicle when moving camp. Someone on the interwebs (maybe on this forum--I can't remember) claimed it was impossible to fully charge an AGM battery from the tow vehicle, but that is demonstrably untrue. Although it did take us about 5 hours of driving to get back to 100%.

Using our Eazy-up as shown in the picture helped keep rain from splattering in the side windows or through the fan. There was no wind, so, thankfully, we could keep our windows open the whole time. We also moved the Eazy-up over the hatch when working in the galley, but found water got through the cover and dripped off of the ribs. So, we need to work on our rainy day camp set up.

From Moose Brook, we drove back to Vermont the first day, and saw the Fairbanks Natural History Museum and Planetarium in St Johnsbury Vt. I seldom take pictures in a museum as they don't come out as well as real nature shots, so unfortunately don't have any, but it is a good museum. Lot's of stuffed animals from around the world. We left in rain and came back in rain (hence the choice of a museum that day) but it happened to be bright and sunny in St Johnsbury.

Next day we had reservations on the Conway Scenic Railway, starting in North Conway. Lots of interesting stock in their yard for those interested in that sort of thing:

167076 167075 167074
167073 167080 167081

BTW, the plural of caboose, according to the conductor is cabooses. (I was secretly hoping it was cabeese, or something like that...)

We took a four hour trip (diesel) in a dining car (the upper level of the dome car was full). Turned out to be good weather with interesting white mountain scenery

167079 167078 167077

We originally wanted to take the Cog Railway up Mt Washington on our first day, but changed our plans due to the expected weather. Instead, we did that trip while shift camp down south to Greenfield. Couldn't get reservations on the steam engine

but instead took a diesel

167084 167085

The weather was as good as could be hoped, but the haze from forest fires out west still prevented a great view from the top. It was, incidentally, about 53 degrees and very windy up there, so come prepared!

Got a great view of the hotel at Bretton Woods, where the allied financial experts met during World War II to decide how the international financial system would work after the war.

We also had a great view of our little dwelling on the road, where we made a substantial investment in our future!

Here's the campsite at Greenfield

Fine place! By then, depression Henri had moved out and the Sun came back (a little). Minor quibble here is that there is a single shower building quite a ways from our site. Shelly set up her cabana tent, and we took sponge baths for the last several days of this trip. On the other hand, we did get to see some friendly wildlife

In southern New Hampshire we saw a rather large doll house store, the telephone museum in Warner, and drove to Portsmouth for sea food. Too tired to see the USS Albacore museum, so that's on our list for the next time we are in the area.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Moose Brook and Greenfield State Parks NH

Postby rjgimp » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote: Someone on the interwebs (maybe on this forum--I can't remember) claimed it was impossible to fully charge an AGM battery from the tow vehicle, but that is demonstrably untrue. Although it did take us about 5 hours of driving to get back to 100%.

Tom

Many many people all over the interwebs have been spreading that nonsense. Certainly it is not the fastest way to charge but as you now know it IS, in fact, entirely possible.
:applause:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Next time you are in that area, shoot me a PM. I have a couple spots you may wish to try.

I'm heading up that way later this week and going 'dirt' Berlin to Errol, then 'dirt' again Errol into Pittsburg In hopes of catching the Pittsburg colors. Pittsburg goes quick and typically early!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:36 am

RJ Howell wrote:Next time you are in that area, shoot me a PM. I have a couple spots you may wish to try.

I'm heading up that way later this week and going 'dirt' Berlin to Errol, then 'dirt' again Errol into Pittsburg In hopes of catching the Pittsburg colors. Pittsburg goes quick and typically early!

Thank you! We probably won't be able to make it back to New Hampshire this year. Which is a shame because it has wonderful scenery!

We're hoping to catch the peak colors here in southern Upstate NY, but, perversely, we may be in Connecticut when that happens :shock: We'll catch is somewhere in the northeast though! If necessary, we'll chase it down in Pennsylvania!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales