Southern Arizona and Southwest New Mexico

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Southern Arizona and Southwest New Mexico

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:04 pm

We just got back from a two week trip down to Southern Arizona, and thought I'd share some for anyone interested.

Left early afternoon on March 21 so we missed Winter camping by one day. First stop was only 2 1/2 hours down the road at Elephant Butte State Park New Mexico. A nice beach for a land locked state

168692 168694 168693

Stayed at an electric site. Flush toilets. I don't think they have showers, but we can't remember for sure.

We ate with friends that night (which was the objective of that stop). It was below freezing with a little rain and snow. Found out the next day they had a surprise storm in Albuquerque that left a few inches of snow, so we left at the right time! Cold enough in the morning we decided to have breakfast in a diner rather than break out the new stove.

Drove from there to Catalina State park Arizona, just North of Tuscon. Much nicer weather!

168697 168696 168698 168699 168700

Very nice campsite. We again stayed at an electric site and used our electric heater a few nights. Typical of the desert this time of year with cold nights (maybe just above freezing) warming up to shorts and short sleeve shirt weather as soon as the Sun comes up. Good hot showers. Catalina has some nice trails and is just a little away from Tuscon.

Cigar-O National Park is almost in Tuscon and is named for the cigar shaped cactus found in those parts

Just kidding! We did drive an hour through Tuscon one day to see Saguaro National Park (East) and drove around a loop road through the park

168703 168702 168701

It is pretty nice, but there is no camping, and to tell the truth, I'm having trouble remembering which pictures came from the state park and which from Saguaro. If we go back next year, I'd be happy skipping the national park and doing more exploring on the trails in Catalina and the adjoining National Forest.

We also went to a doll house museum in Tuscon one day and visited Pima Air and Space museum another. (I'll post pics of Pima for fellow aviation enthusiasts later.) One day we drove to Phoenix for a doll house convention, which was the event this trip was built around. Shelly is starting her business selling doll house furniture and accessories, mostly made on her new 3D printer. The only interest I have is, since I'll probably never build a full size log cabin, maybe trying a few cabin building styles in 1/12 scale and selling them through her. But I digress.

From Catalina State Park, we drove to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument...

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:30 pm

Camping is nice at Organ Pipe. We stayed at a non-electric site, and it was partly to mostly cloudy much of our two days there, but we were able to keep the battery charged with our panel.

They have solar showers. We arrived on a 90 degree sunny day, but took our showers back at Catalina SP that morning, so why again so soon? Well, the next day the temperatures dropped to highs in the 60's with overcast and some rain. So the showers were cold! Forewarned is four-armed, so if you hate washing your four armpits (and other body parts) in cold water as much as I do, plan ahead! :thinking:

There are two drives around the park, with some great views

168708 168710 168712
168713 168714 168715

The first day was so windy, we decided to eat a cold dinner, and go out for ice cream. The town of Why (named for their extensive road system) is only about 20 miles each way, and made for a pleasant drive. Now, I hate stereotyping anyone (that's what they do in Russia), but the road back from Why goes through the park and into Mexico. We spent the 20 mile return trip hoping this guy's straps held

The park is, in fact, right on the border, and this was a view of the wall from our campsite

With the crime in that part of Mexico what it is, we decided not to enter. It is only an hour from there to the Gulf of California, so someday, when conditions improve...

There is a town on the Mexican side of the border, much larger than anything in that part of Arizona, so we could see the lights at night, and we had cell phone service from a Mexican tower.

The wind died down the second day, so we took the second loop drive in the morning and then in the afternoon decided to try baking some of the bread sold in the visitor center for somewhat high, tourist, "we can see you coming" prices.

168717 168718 168719

Cooked up nice in the dutch oven! Made a great lunch, and then a quick breakfast the next morning as we packed up and headed for City of Rocks State Park back in New Mexico...

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

City of Rocks State Park, NM, and Gila Cliff Dwellings N.M.

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:55 pm

When we planned the trip, we were thinking of staying the last two nights at one of several National Forest camp sites near Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. But it would have been at the end of a 6 1/2 hour drive, and we really didn't know the area. So, when a site opened up at City of Rocks State Park, we grabbed it. Glad we did!

168738 168739 168721 168720

The electric sites are all down on flat terrain, but they spaced the non-electric sites a few hundred yards away, among the rocks. Made for a challenge leveling the tear, but boy what a view! Once set up, we again found the wind too much to enjoy making dinner, so we found a nice restaurant nearby in Hurely NM. Can't miss it, if you're driving through Hurely, it's at the gas station. I can recommend the roasted chicken. Shelly says the gravy on her chicken fried steak was a little watery.

The campsite has a few out-houses, but closest to us was a modern facility across from the visitor center. The showers were only luke-warm, but were welcome after the cold solar showers at the last place! In fact, this was the only place we stayed at where we would have been comfortable setting up our shower tent, if necessary. The other campsites were too close together.

I regret we didn't spend as much time exploring the rocks as we might have. Someday we will go back and do that, and also explore Rock Hound State Park nearby, as well as see Silver City, and "The Cat-Walk". Instead, we drove an hour or so up into the mountains to see Gila Cliff Dwelling National Monument

168731 168732 168733
168734 168735 168736

The national monument features a mile long walk, including through some old ruins built into caves in the cliffs. Similar to Mesa Verde or Bandalier but, perhaps, less visited because it is somewhat off the beaten path.

Overall, we had a great time. This was a wonderful start to our camping year!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Re: Southern Arizona and Southwest New Mexico

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:14 am

Was down in Organ Pipe Cactus NP as well in January. We wanted to see the Organ Pipe Cactus as it's considered the only place thy grow! We did see some very much like it in Baja, so.. maybe the only place they grow?

Crime in Mexico, especially along our border, is closer to the border. If you cross, do so during the day and drive south an hour or so. I have friends with a places in the Rocky Point/Penasco area and have been going there for years with absolutely no issues. It seems to be the Rt2 corridor that is questionable. Same goes for Baja. We crossed in San Louis and drove south with no issues. Seems the further south you go (especially Baja) the friendlier folks get!

Columbus, NM is a cool town with much history along the border! It would be fun to return there during the reenactment of the battle!

Safe Travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales