Rte 90 or 14 through South Dakota

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Rte 90 or 14 through South Dakota

Postby Capebuild » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:54 am

Hello. We will be driving from Mauston, Wisconsin to Palisades State Park, Sioux Falls, SD and trying to decide which might be a better route..... between taking 90 or 14 .... realizing 14 will be a bit longer but maybe providing a more "interesting" experience. Is 90 more of a highway type travel experience whereas 14 might be more to see, nicer driving experience (not so much traffic) more rural America . Thanks for any thoughts.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Rte 90 or 14 through South Dakota

Postby rjgimp » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:23 am

Sometimes youse guys out east talk kinda funny. :R 8)

I believe you are referring to Interstate 90 and US 14.

I-90 will buzz you from A to B in the fastest possible amount of time and you’ll find ample national chain fuel stops and government operated rest areas along the way. I suspect you would prefer the much more intimate experience provided by US14. There are now many stretches of it with 4 lanes, a median, and limited access grade separated controlled interchanges. However much of it remains 2 lane and will allow you more direct interaction with Main Street, USA.

In the northwest suburbs of Minneapolis there are two 4 lane roads about 4 miles apart running parallel to each other for several miles. They both carry the designation “10”. One is a county road, the other a US highway. When someone comes here from another part of the country inquiring about “Route 10” the nearly universal response from locals is “Which one?” :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:29 am

rjgimp wrote:I believe you are referring to Interstate 90 and US 14.

I had totally forgotten I posted this and missed your reply, Rob. Thanks for the follow up (despite my east coast road identification shortcomings :roll: )
After much in-house debate we are planning on US 14 for our travel way with the thought if it was taking too long we could always cut back to that larger, faster moving highway, Interstate 90.
We leave next week.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:24 am

Best of luck John! Have fun! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales