CapeBuild's Cross Country Travel Log

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: CapeBuild's Cross Country Travel Log

Postby Capebuild » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:51 am

Friday, October 7

Tony, that is so great that you spent some of your youth in that area. Aside from our feeling of being geographically lost there, it was very beautiful. And yes, the aspens were a blazing yellow. The ranch I mentioned was such a great sight, with the home being set way back off the road and right up on a fairly large body of water that also seemed perfect for irrigating the livestock areas. Also interesting history with the Harriman family at one time owning it. I remember his name when I was growing up in the New York metro area.

Ralph, sorry we missed each other in our travels!! I think I would have recognized your teardrop had I seen it. I find myself always on the lookout for other rigs. We were wondering how the town of Ten Sleep got its name, so thanks for the explanation. So much history. I’ve got a lot of reading to do when I return home.

We spent the last 2 nights/3 days just outside of Arco, Idaho at Crater of the Moons National Monument at the Lava Flow Campground. This campground was terrific! Really great and I highly recommend visiting it/camping there. It’s first come /first serve (they don’t take reservations) but we had no trouble getting a great spot. No elex hook-ups. There were clean bathroom facilities. The sites were well spaced and just a great place to set up.

There’s a visitor center with tons of information and helpful rangers. There’s also a bunch of trails for hiking and viewing the lava formations and old volcanic rims. Just a really unusual landscape with all these lava rocks and areas where molten lava had created such a weird landscape. The “rocks” are larva remnants and pumice like; very light weight. We hiked a trail up to one of the lava rims. Really great hike but quite the heart stopper, up and up.

We left Craters yesterday and traveled into Nevada; yet another mesmerizing landscape. Seems like each area we travel through is defined by its own unique mountain range and flat prairie lands.

Landed at Ward Mountain Campground outside Ely, NV. around 5pm. Another first come first serve area. Hardly anyone here, maybe 4 other campers. Nice. After some breakfast we travel on to Lake Tahoe.

Trailer needs a bath, otherwise holding up well.

John

Attachments
craters camp set up.jpeg
craters camp set up.jpeg (140.46 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_8306 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8306 Medium.jpeg (160.48 KiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_8295 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8295 Medium.jpeg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 672 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:51 pm

Saturday, Oct 8

MADE IT TO CALIFORNIA!!

Yesterday traveled the “Loneliest Road in America”, Route 50, starting in Ely, Nevada and winding up in Lake Tahoe on the California side. Another incredible landscape that words could never describe. Although a long ride it is on Rte 50, you travel through many intense inclines and just as many 8, 9 or 10% declines. Elevations ranging from 4,000+ to 7500+ (although we had been in 10,000 ft around Big Horn National Forest). The environment here on route 50 seems pretty intense and harsh for wildlife (or humans). I can imagine what it was like for the Pony Express riders that traveled here in the early 1860’s . There were a number of old remnants of Pony Express “stations” we passed. There was this area called Salt Mountain where we pulled off to have a look. In the distance was this huge sand mountain where we could see many RV types and all these ATV’s riding up and down the sand mountain. Kind of a recreational area. Along the side of the road in a linear fashion as you travel along people have spelled out with small rocks sayings, names and causes. See attached video. This went on for a couple of miles. Where we are in Lake Tahoe for a day or 2 is a lot more commercial than I had envisioned but looking forward to biking around the lake area.

Couple of things I forgot to mention regarding our travels through Idaho….. we passed by many potato fields and saw huge, and I mean huge, like maybe 30 feet high, mountains of harvested potatoes; I assume out in the air to kind of dry out and “ripen”. We passed through Twin Falls and over the Perrine Bridge, which one person told us sometimes you can see “the jumpers”. We thought she meant people who are doing themselves in… but then she clarified it to mean “parachuters”. Great canyon below with the Snake River, which we wound up crossing over a number of times in our travels. We stopped at this great fruit stand (more like a small store) off the highway in Twin Falls run by these fresh faced wholesome and freckly faced girls. We bought locally grown peaches and plums, corn and a bunch of other supplies that were just really fresh and tasty.

John

"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:07 pm

There is a place you can go as you like ;)
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:29 pm

Just a follow up. I did a little looking up about the sand mountain just outside of Fallon, NV. Attached is a 4 minute video that gives a good geographical insight to the area along with a glimpse of its current recreational offerings. Also a shot of a plaque just off the highway about the sand mountain

https://youtu.be/2RLsDN-XqJU

Also attached are some additional images.

Arriving at our Tahoe campground and a shot of Lake Tahoe from today's bike ride. The lake is pretty shallow at least in this area. Not too cold either (by our standards, at least). May go for a swim tomorrow:

Traveling America's loneliest road (it was lonely):

Going through Ely, NV on our way to the loneliest road:

other shots:

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:46 am

We were at an in-law's wedding in Fallon a few years ago and learned of the "Loneliest road in America." (We flew to Sacramento and drove up to Carson City from there. That drive is beautiful!)

I want to take the lonely road someday. Shelly says she'll let me drive and she'll sleep through it.

Great travel log John! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:07 am

I forgot to mention regarding our travels through Idaho….. we passed by many potato fields...

Are you sure those piles weren't sugar beets? :thinking:

Next time you come through the state, try bumping a bit north. :thinking: We do a lotta playing here and none of it occurs in the southern reaches. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:53 am

Nothing like having the galley pass through for that morning coffee!

IMG_8391 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8391 Medium.jpeg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 586 times
tony.latham wrote:Are you sure those piles weren't sugar beets?

Well, that's a good question. They could have been.

Those pics are quite beautiful, Tony. We found Idaho to be really great. Neither of us have been to the state before. I'm sure we will make the cross country trip a number of times again as our son lives in CA and having this teardrop will make it all happen
:)

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby nsfr1206 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:28 pm

I’ve been enjoying your travel log too. Beautiful country out there.

My wife’s family came from northern Idaho and Tony’s pics make me want to visit there, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nsfr1206
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:45 pm

nsfr1206 wrote:I’ve been enjoying your travel log too. Beautiful country out there.

Thanks NSFR. It is a very beautiful country out there! Constantly amazed at it all,..... although I think my wife is starting to get dismayed every time I start singing "Seeeeee thaaahhhhh USA in your Chevrolet....."

Today we hiked the Eagle Lake Loop Trail. Great views of Lake Tahoe.

For some reason when we returned from our hike we noticed the park had literally emptied out of most of the campers. We had our section pretty much most to ourselves. We powered up the JBL Flip 5, put on some tunes and made chicken dinner.

After that we walked down to the lake to see a nice sunset.

Leaving here tomorrow for Northern California.
So far have traveled 4500 miles.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:11 am

Capebuild wrote:It is a very beautiful country out there! Constantly amazed at it all,..... although I think my wife is starting to get dismayed every time I start singing "Seeeeee thaaahhhhh USA in your Chevrolet....."

That would dismay me! It should have been "Californ-ee here I come!" :lol:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:32 am

Capebuild wrote:I think my wife is starting to get dismayed every time I...

John

That's just what we husbands DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

:applause: 8)
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:26 pm

IMG_8391 Medium.jpeg
tony.latham wrote:Are you sure those piles weren't sugar beets?

Well, that's a good question. They could have been.

So many places across North America we have debated what we have just seen! Oh ya buddy, I get it! What we thought and what it was became the surprise!
It is quite an amazing world we live in when we take the time to explore it a bit. Sometimes beyond our concepts of a region!

Safe travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:24 pm

Tuesday Oct 11

Left Lake Tahoe area yesterday. Needed auto fuel and could not believe the price of gas
:(
IMG_8417 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8417 Medium.jpeg (135.57 KiB) Viewed 478 times

The hills and twisty turny roads of route 50 were a steering wheel grabber, for sure! Sooner or later we wound up in where the redwoods were abundant and also the remnants of previous fires. These trees are something to behold. Around 4pm wound up at Samuel P. Taylor Campground. Nestled here amongst the tall redwoods is great.... not so great for our solar and no elex hookups. We'll see how that goes. Otherwise very comfortable in our trailer and feel like we have everything we need.

We've been traveling for a month now, today. Just today ran out of propane after a month, so our 5 lb tank actually lasted longer than I thought it would. I had an extra tank, so swapped it out and will get the empty tank refilled. Just turned over 50,000 miles on our Subaru and just about to hit 5,000 miles for the trip.

John
Attachments
IMG_8437 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8437 Medium.jpeg (157 KiB) Viewed 478 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby dabend » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:02 pm

What kind of stove is that in your chicken dinner photo? It looks pretty heavy duty.

Thanks Darrin.
dabend
Teardrop Builder

Postby Capebuild » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:03 am

dabend wrote:What kind of stove is that in your chicken dinner photo? It looks pretty heavy duty.
Thanks Darrin.

The stove is a Partner Stove. Each burner provides 10,000 BTUs(if I remember correctly). It’s all tig welded
out of fairly heavy material. Very sturdy. We like it.
:)

Capebuild
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales