CapeBuild's Cross Country Travel Log

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: CapeBuild's Cross Country Travel Log

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Nice Pic's John! Enjoy!

Don't hurry back.. no snow up here yet to shovel! There's much to explore now that you are all the way over.. :thumbsup:

Safe Travels!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:49 pm

Thanks for the many beautiful pictures of your trip. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gulfcoast » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:13 pm

Be sure to check out Quartzsite AZ.... the winter home to thousands of RV'ers and nomads.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:08 pm

Sunday, October 30

After leaving Malibu State Park we made our way down Route 101 toward Route 10 and Joshua Tree National Park. I had thought up to this point we had traveled on just about every type road imaginable on our travels…… but I had totally forgotten about the 6 lane super highways that snake around the Los Angeles area. What a freakin’ nightmare! I suppose if you live in the area you get used to the traffic, the stop and go, congestion, creative driving of others and the crowded and claustrophobic building on top of building city planning layout. What a lot of population! At some point, probably around San Bernardino, it started to thin out a bit and we made our way up into what seemed like the desert.

Later Saturday afternoon we arrived at Joshua Tree National Park at the southern part of the park. We arrived a day early only having a reservation for the next night. The ranger was nice enough to let us stay in an “emergency site”, which they usually keep open. It’s just so incredible here that we decided to extend our stay by an additional 2 nights. The landscape is beyond description (at least to do it any justice). Such a variety of plants including cactus, palms, junipers, various florals, etc… the light varies from deep dark shadows and often very pale to bright illuminations. Very dry and hot however there always seems to be a pleasant breeze. Very sunny which is good for the solar panels.

We usually sleep with our heads at the back so we can sit up against the wall and cabinets that separate the galley from the cabin, so 180 degrees from the large front star gazer window. However, last night with the nighttime star show so incredible, we climbed into bed with our heads directly under the large front window. So great to just lie there and watch the nighttime sky looking for shooting stars, which there were many. The sliver of a moon last night helped to make for a perfect darkly lit sky.

Today we went on a 3 mile hike which took us up over fantastic rock formations. Rather than try and describe them, I’ll post some pictures, but even the pictures hardly do justice to this incredible landscape. Each landscape we’ve visited (mountainous grape fields of Napa/Sonoma, Badlands, Craters of the Moon, Rte 50 through Nevada, Wisconsin, the corn fields of Indiana) they’re just all so different, beautiful and mesmerizing. At the end of the day we feel wiped out and a kind of a sensory overload from it all. What an adventure!

Last edited by Capebuild on Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:31 pm

Wow! :pictures:
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:48 am

" Each landscape we’ve visited (mountainous grape fields of Napa/Sonoma, Badlands, Craters of the Moon, Rte 50 through Nevada, Wisconsin, the corn fields of Indiana) they’re just all so different, beautiful and mesmerizing. At the end of the day we feel wiped out and a kind of a sensory overload from it all. What an adventure! "

LOL! Got that right!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:43 pm

Is this a great country or what??? :applause: :thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:46 pm

RJ Howell wrote:I-10 :thumbsup:

I've run across the gulf using I-10 as my guide and slipping lower when I could. Personally I'd take it back into Florida then northward. But that's me..
I-10 through AZ is a great route going through some area of interest. We have friends in Tucson so it's a stop over as well. Nice run through NM as well. In AZ a side run to Chiricahua National Monument is well worth it. One of those not as visited kind of places and free camp in the Coronado National Forest. In NM White Sands National is part of a loop over I-10 and leads into Carlsbad Cavern National and south then back to I-10 across Texas.

If you jump I-40 in NM then you may still get a chance at Bandelier National Monument and Santa Fe (we really liked Santa Fe).

We ran Texas much further south chasing the border. Next time across I'll use I-10 and add Austin to the list (just north of I-10) with hopes of catching a show! If you've never, San Antonio and the Mission Trail is worth staying around a couple days for.

Of course I-10 goes through New Orleans as well! Again if you've never.. We tend to run just off the Interstates to catch some true flavor of an area. Still plenty to do & see running I-10 and making road-time as well. Bucket list for us is to drive down the southern part of the swamp (south of NOLA) and stay at Grand Isle State Park. Way out of your way, yet thought I'd mention it. You could also confirm if it's swamp or bayou.. :thinking:

There's more but I'd rather hear your story!

As you see, I also like I-10 better than I-40 :D

This would also give you the opportunity to visit GPW in NOLA and get a tour of the Foamstream. :thumbsup:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 am

Tuesday, November 1

We are currently camping at the Southern portion of Joshua Tree. The hiking we did Sunday was just out from our campsite. Yesterday we drove up to the Northern section of the park which has a very different character. The park is divided into 2 “deserts”….. the Southern part being the Colorado Desert and the Northern being the Mohave Desert. The Northern part is spectacular rock formations emerging out of the ground whereas the southern part seems to be more rocks that are popping out from mountains. There seems to be a difference in the vegetation with much more cactus varieties in the northern area. All just really great. The heart shaped rock is called….. Heart Rock :-) This was on the Arch Rock Trail.
We also went on a 2 mile hike (that felt more like 5 miles) on a trail called Split Rock Trail…. Which brought up much discussion during our trek about whether there was one specific rock called Split Rock or it referred to the greater population of “split rocks”.
Today we drive into Arizona via RTE 10.
John

Will post some additional photos in next post.
Attachments
IMG_8786 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8786 Medium.jpeg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 566 times
IMG_8737 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8737 Medium.jpeg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 566 times
IMG_8800 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8800 Medium.jpeg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 566 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:47 am

Here's photos of Heart Rock, the ARCH ROCK on the Arch Trail and another photo from the Split Rock Trail.
The round ball shaped rock made you feel like you were placed in the Indiana Jones movie Raider's of the Lost Ark.
Attachments
IMG_8750 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8750 Medium.jpeg (104.55 KiB) Viewed 566 times
IMG_8764 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8764 Medium.jpeg (114.95 KiB) Viewed 566 times
IMG_8768 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8768 Medium.jpeg (107.89 KiB) Viewed 566 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:38 pm

Was that last picture in the Morning; Because it's snowing in the NW now :lol:
Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Capebuild » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:49 pm

twisted lines wrote:Was that last picture in the Morning; Because it's snowing in the NW now :lol:
Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

RED SKY AT NIGHT, SAILOR’S DELIGHT!
That was the sunset.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:10 pm

Tuesday, Nov 1

Arrived in at the state campground in AZ. Tons of really great Cacti. Just here for one night. Really great campground. Much quieter than the one in Joshua Tree. Showers. Yeah!! No big motor homes with generators starting up at 7am. Yeah!!! 4 bars on my cell phone!! Double Yeah!!!!

John
Attachments
IMG_8818 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8818 Medium.jpeg (132.63 KiB) Viewed 516 times
IMG_8803 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8803 Medium.jpeg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 519 times
IMG_8806 Medium.jpeg
IMG_8806 Medium.jpeg (119.02 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:51 pm

Been wondering if you are seeing many other teardrops? I would guess you're getting a bunch of folks asking about your great trailer?

Chris
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:57 am

Onajourney wrote:Been wondering if you are seeing many other teardrops? I would guess you're getting a bunch of folks asking about your great trailer?

Chris

Hi Chris. Surprisingly, we’ve seen some other teardrops in our travels but not as many as I would have thought.
A ton of 5th wheels, motor homes, and pick-up toppers and transit vans
But as far as the tiny teardrop, not a lot. And yes, we’ve had a number of people stop by the sites to ask about our rig.

I was just looking at your build page. Coming along very nicely. Looks great. Very nice job!!
:thumbsup:

Capebuild
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales