Starruca Viaduct

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Starruca Viaduct

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:58 am

We took a little detour on our way back from Connecticut and found the Starruca Viaduct sitting where it was built in the 1840's in Lanesboro Pennsylvania.

170368 170369 170367

There is a nice little park underneath with outhouses and picnic tables. And, Shelly insists I mention, a bunch of flying insects that don't bite, but drove her nuts yesterday, until the rain started and drove us in.

Anyway, the viaduct was built for the Erie railroad, and is still used today. There is a famous painting by Jasper Francis Cropsey, hanging in an art museum in Toledo Ohio, which we intend to see someday. In the meantime the viaduct itself is only an hour away from where I grew up, and I'd never heard of it until mentioned by friends who were railroading enthusiasts, when I was living somewhere else.

Problem, of course is that at the picnic site underneath it, one can only do so well taking pictures, so we'll go back someday when the weather is better and find a better vantage point in the hills surrounding the place. Be nice to try and figure out where Cropsey took his picture!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Starruca Viaduct

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:15 am

and found the Starruca Viaduct sitting where it was built ...

My first glance at this post led my lightning-fast brain to think it was a Latin phrase. ...But I'm glad it hasn't moved. :lol:

Here's how it was built:

https://ivypanda.com/essays/bridge-architecture-starrucca-viaduct/

Crazy!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales