The eclipse

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

The eclipse

Postby Simple_Abound » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:08 pm

There was this big thing called the eclipse recently. My family and I decided to see how close we could get, wait as long as we could before making any campground reservations, yet still have a good time.
We really didn't want to deal with traffic and we succeeded. We started in Minnesota on Friday night and stayed at a place in the middle of nowhere Iowa that night, total travel time was about 3 hours. The next day we headed towards Missouri, it took us about 5 hours to get there, bringing total drive time to 8 hours. We stayed at Ray Behrens campground, it was so peaceful we also stayed there Monday night.
Sunday was a short travel day but it was an adventure. We took a rough gravel road that we didn't need too. Sometimes you need to take the road less traveled by other campers. We finally arrived at Sutton Bluff campground in the Mark Twain National Forest. It was also a peaceful campground.
Monday was the big day. We started towards the eclipse and drove as close as we felt comfortable, while pulling the Scamp, I didn't want to get stuck in traffic. We found a beautiful roadside park near Ellington, Missouri with about 20 other strangers.
After the eclipse the rest was mostly sleeping and driving. Including 8 hours on Tuesday. The total mileage was about 1,400 miles and 24 hours of drive time. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
A couple observations on the drive. Removing the side awning and adding 2-100 amp solar panels on the roof took all sway away from the Scamp. I even had it up to 70 allegedly at times. The interstates are the worst maintained and the back roads are more enjoyable. Minnesota drivers are far worse than Iowa or Missouri drivers. Recently while on vacation I've tried to take less pictures and just enjoy the moment. Here are a couple pictures anyway.
Simple_Abound
Teardrop Builder

Re: The eclipse

Postby Modstock » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:40 pm

Nice ya found a place without the crowds. When it came over utah, we avoided driving anywhere.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales