rusty ham broiler

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

rusty ham broiler

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:44 am

Not that I needed one but I just can't resist a bargain...... A poor ol rusty ham broiler was calling my name. There it was in a scrappers junk pile, lid and all, looking so forlorn. I just couldn't help myself and it was only $10.00. I already have 47 pieces of cast iron so what is the big deal about a couple more :?

I will start a thread about the resurrection process to get my new prize into useable shape. I will drag out the camera today and start with some pics :pictures: of before and outline the processes I will try to see what works best to get my treasure in pristine working order. Be back soon....... :beer:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: rusty ham broiler

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:32 am

166592 ..... the rusty lid of my $10.00 ham boiler

166593...... the base

166594....... and the lid after 30 seconds of working with a soda blaster. I concentrated on just the bottom edge
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 am

I want to test several rust removal alternatives so I will next fill the base with cola and let it work while submerging the lid in white vinegar. I will also use the potato and rock salt scrub on the outside of the base pot.

I will post pics :pictures: as I get further on in the experiment !

I like this little piece of iron the lid has a raised edge to allow oil to puddle a bit to cook things like pancakes while the under side of the lid has raised ribs to allow you to grill steaks or burgers. So basically it is a big oval skillet :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:03 am

Bob, have you used electrolysis on rusty metal? It works great and is very cheap to do. I have had one of these boilers for several years and never did anything with it. So I sold it at my barn sale and hope the new owner gets some use out of it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron