18 Foot Long, Lodge Cast Iron Skillet

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

18 Foot Long, Lodge Cast Iron Skillet

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:15 pm

Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: 18' Lodge Cast Iron Skillet

Postby GTS225 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:14 am

And I thought you had just hit the wrong notation key. :lol: THAT'S a lot of iron! :shock:

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:11 am

Yes! Perfect size for a Large gathering! Now we just need to find folks to help carry it. I can strap on a couple of slabs of bacon to the bottom of my shoes and skate across it to grease it. Does anyone have Paul Bunyan's new address so I can invite him? :lol: TDN

P.S. Danny, don't let Fogcrawler see this, or he's gonna want a skiillet of that size too. :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:13 pm

Too funny Joanie.
Jane said she just ordered one on Amazon Prime, strap on those bacon strips.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:18 pm

Tell Jane, "Okay!" :thumbsup: TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Re: 18 Foot Long, Lodge Cast Iron Skillet

Postby gudmund » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:03 pm

for one this large in diameter, you'll need them bacon strips on your shoes so you can 'slide' out to the center for 'flipping' the food when needed.......... :? I'll volunteer to come and watch.......... Ted
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:59 am

Looks like a Claes Oldenburg sculpture. Although, I suppose, it would be twice the size of that skillet.
Nice size for a large gathering with a super large fire pit :FNP
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby fredryc » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:00 am

It's so large and good but The main challenge so far has been the placement of the wood, which can sink into the V-shape at the bottom, which reduces the fuel's exposure to oxygen and heat. I might give things a try using these small charcoal rack but I suspect that smaller coals will fall through and I'll lose heat that way.

While it's a bit more work, I think breaking some sticks down short enough that I can place them crossways and stack the wood for better circulation will be the best way to handle a small fire. Larger fires I think won't have the same issue as more heat and airflow will result. I just don't have access to a lot of firewood right now so I've been keeping my fires rather small.
fredryc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Squigie » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:42 am

Interesting.

My uncle's brother in law used to do huge cook-outs, particularly breakfasts, and absolutely loved Dutch oven cooking. He'd invite half the town to family gatherings, and have dozens of skillets and Dutch ovens going at the same time, with him bouncing between them, as a jolly, sweaty, fat guy that you just had to love.
Nearly any major event in the city or county - and many private events like weddings and graduations - featured his rotund body waddling between hot cast iron, for the love of cooking and filling peoples' bellies.

When he retired from the small city where he was born and raised, and worked his whole life (fire department, road works, and water quality), he was gifted a 60" Dutch oven that had to be moved with a forklift. Rather than a gimmick, it was very much intended to be used. Everywhere that it went, it was accompanied by his 'all-terrain' forklift and a tripod with a chain hoist (for the lid).
I wish I had photos of that monster. It was quite a thing to behold. I have no idea who made it, or when.

Unfortunately, he usually used the giant for peach, apple, or cherry cobbler, and I don't care for cobblers. I'm not sure that I ever partook of anything that was cooked in it.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron