Suggestions on 1st Camp Dutch Oven?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Suggestions on 1st Camp Dutch Oven?

Postby 46Kit » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:05 pm

The wife and I are preparing for our first outing in our '46 Kit Kamper and we'd like to add a camp dutch oven to our inventory of gear.

I'd like to get some input from you experienced DO chefs on what size and configuration (deep vs. shallow, round vs. oval, etc.) we should go for on our initial DO acquisition.

Thanks in advance!

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Suggestions on 1st Camp Dutch Oven?

Postby Kevin A » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:34 pm

46Kit wrote:The wife and I are preparing for our first outing in our '46 Kit Kamper and we'd like to add a camp dutch oven to our inventory of gear.

I'd like to get some input from you experienced DO chefs on what size and configuration (deep vs. shallow, round vs. oval, etc.) we should go for on our initial DO acquisition.

Thanks in advance!

Regards-HW

It really depends on how many people and how much food you are expecting to cook for. Many of the dutch oven recipes are written for a 12" oven. However, that will likely be more food than two people want to eat. An 8" or possibly 10" may suit the needs of two people best,
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 pm

My first choice for 1-2 people would be a Lodge 10" deep oven. But most recipes are made for 12 " ovens. If cooking for a gathering or a crowd go with the 12". Once you get started , and have some success you will buy a second one. We all do it. The 10" deep is harder to find then the regular 10" . I got mine off Ebay and paid more then I wanted to. Good luck!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 46Kit » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm

I figure we'll be in possession of more than one DO if we really get into it, I sort of have a cast iron fetish anyway. The wife got me a 15" Lodge skillet for my birthday a few months back... ;)

Our initial outing will be the Ocean Grove gathering in early October so I guess we'll be cooking to share with the group! :thumbsup:

Good to know about the recipes being structured around 12" ovens. I hadn't gotten into it enough to start tracking down recipes yet. Now is that a 12" regular (6 qt.) or 12" deep (8 qt.)? :thinking:

What I'm after is the oven that will be the basic workhorse of our camp kitchen, i.e. most versatile for a variety of situation. We can get into collecting more specialized equipment once that central foundation is laid...

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:40 am

Our first and still favorite is a 12" standard It was a camp chef model made for Sportsmans warehouse. It has made many good meals. I never fully understood why smaller ovens are needed. If I am cooking for two I make a smaller meat loaf, 6-8 rolls instead of 12-14, or a small portion of stew. My pot has never cared if it was half full or full full while cooking for a pot luck dinner at a gathering. One minor complaint is these commerative models with the fancy cast in reliefs are pretty out of the box but a pain to clean the ash out if the cracks and crannies of the pretty picture. I have a anchient 14" deep with a smooth top and an old style hog ring handle and the lid is SOOOO much easier to clean.

Take a moment and load up the printer and go to the heading at the top of the forum to where it says cookbook and print it off and carry it with you on your adventures. There are hundreds of great tried and true receipes in it.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:10 am

Anyone in the tucson area looking for a dutch oven that just needs a little lovin'

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8445088
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kevin A » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:54 am

bobhenry wrote: I never fully understood why smaller ovens are needed.
It's really quite simple, it's a way of justifying the purchase of more cast iron...... 8) :lol:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby 46Kit » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Kevin A wrote:
bobhenry wrote: I never fully understood why smaller ovens are needed.
It's really quite simple, it's a way of justifying the purchase of more cast iron...... 8) :lol:

Kevin get's it... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 46Kit » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for the input gang. Turns out the issue is moot as over coffee this morning the wife told me she already ordered a DO from Amazon! Looks like we're getting a Lodge deep 12" so we'll have the capacity to make a large batch of whatever.

Any of you planning to attend the Ocean Grove gathering better bring your appetite 'cause HW is going to get his cook on! :D

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ironhead » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:23 pm

46Kit wrote:Thanks for the input gang. Turns out the issue is moot as over coffee this morning the wife told me she already ordered a DO from Amazon! Looks like we're getting a Lodge deep 12" so we'll have the capacity to make a large batch of whatever.
That's what i was going to suggest a 12 Deep. Your wife made a wise choice. you can cook about a five pound whole chicken with taters & onions and other goodies as well. :thumbsup:
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:15 am

The 12" is real versatile....it's large enough to hold 9x9 baking pans, and loaf pans in it...and makes a decent sized pizza. If I'm only doing up something smaller or only cooking for 2, I use a pan inserted into it on a trivet or in my case, some lug nuts. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby DragonFire » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm so glad I found this thread...just looked for trucks, but I can get the DO easier!!! Now I know....get the 12"!!!

I'm going to practice DO cooking and solar oven cooking so I'm all set to join you when I get a truck..I plan on renting a tear 1st, then buying one when I sell my big Aristocrat.
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby 46Kit » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Well we got to try out the new Lodge 12 Deep on Monday night. Made a pork roast with potatoes, onions, carrots and mushrooms. Put a scrap of 1/8" plate steel on the coal grate of my Weber kettle to make a platform for the legs of the DO, worked out pretty well. Natural lump charcoal we had on hand didn't work out so well, didn't want to stay lit once it was spread under/over the DO. Food turned out A-OK anyway! 3 lb. roast took about 2 hours to cook and was quite tasty if I say so myself... :D

Regards-HW
46Kit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DragonFire » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:33 pm

Wow!!! I didn't think you could do that in a DO!!!

I just got mine today!!! Gotta figure out something to cook in it this weekend. It's a Lodge 12" pre seasoned. Can't wait to try it out!!!

Any suggestions anyone??
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:43 pm

8) Fix what YOU like! Good starter recipes are always the "dump cake/cobbler" for dessert,. Some cornbread, soups, stew, chili are also classic favorites. Click on the black pot below to view some choices complete with recipes. Bon appetite! Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Next

Return to Cast Iron