My CI collection.... Dwindle it down for most trips.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

My CI collection.... Dwindle it down for most trips.

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:59 pm

Okay, between my CI collection, and my Coleman oven, I can make a full on Thanksgiving dinner, at least if I only do the Turkey breast and not the whole bird...

The collection at this point is..

#1. Outdoor Gourmet double sided CI griddle. Stamped Lodge so obvious relabel to a house brand.
#2. Outdoor Gourmet 10" CI skillet with pour spouts. My main skillet.
#3. Outdoor Gourmet 12" 8qt camp dutch oven. complete with lid lifter, and Lodge CI meat trivet in a Camp Chef carry bag. I made a plywood base to keep the legs from poking through the bottom.
#4. Ozark Trail 12" CI skillet with pour spouts. This is a great skilet over the campfire... Flap wheel smoothed and seasoned slick and black. This thing makes an easy mountain man breakfast for 4 to 6 in 1 skillet.
#5. Ozark Trail 2qt CI bean pot. Distributes heat well, It gets used a lot as a butter melter to keep it seasoned, and yes, I use it to heat up cans of Bush beans in camp...
#6. Ozark Trail 12" 5qt CI camp dutch oven.

On most trips, only the griddle, 10" skillet and 8qt DO go with me. The DO mostly bexause most of my small kitchen utensils get stowed inside it.

There is nothing in cooking that lives up to the experience of using cast iron, but the cheap cast iron, needs a good knock down of the bumpy factory finish and then a thorough reaseasoning. Both Ozark Trail, and current Lodge come straight off the shelf with an awful finish.

Oh and my skillets and the bean pot get silicone handle sleeves to keep from scorching my hands...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: My CI collection.... Dwindle it down for most trips.

Postby nevadatear » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Fyi, another way to keep the legs from sticking through the bag is to put the lid in first, then put the pot on top of the lid.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron