Teardrop Derby pics....?

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Teardrop Derby pics....?

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:18 am

So it's getting down to the wire....just a few days to complete your racers....anyone want to put up a pic or 2 of their projects? (Doug H). I've seen some through PM's and in person, have a couple of new ones myself...anyone got the "hutzpah" to post what they got? I've got a "controversial" entry that won't be posted till I'm ready to leave....still working on another that isn't ready to post yet, but when I get it in paint..I'll post.....Whadda got? show pics! After all...it's not like anyone is going to steal an idea at this point...you'd be surprised on just how well you think it's going to run...then the sad fact is...it doesn't and you have to make adjustments at the IRG. Been there, done that...got the humiliation....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dguff » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:07 am

OK, here is a picture of the pre derby favorite. Thoroughly tested by pushing it around on tables while making the appropriate sounds.

Vroom! Vroom!Image

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DougH » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:37 am

Do you wish you had a V-8? At least it look like it's fast :)

[img][img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=67705[/img][/img]

[img][img][img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=67706[/img][/img][/img]
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:46 am

Just like two years ago, I have the hands down winner derby TD design...... in my head. :roll:

So, the rest of you chumps are lucky that I, once again, won't have a dog in this fight (pun intended).

CD :lol:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

irg derby racer

Postby danlott » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Well after most of the day working at it, I have a roller. Need to figure out how much it weighs. May have to drill some holes to lighten it up some. It is not really worthy of pictures at this point, but it will look a lot like my future build.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

derby racer

Postby danlott » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Well I hacked a derby racer out of a chunk of 4x4. The picture makes it look better than it really is, but it doesn't have to look good to win. Roly and Finn might as well pull there racers out and not even show up. Folks you are looking at the winner.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:43 pm

We vote for yours, Dan. Have to, you are our Nevada Neighbors! Wish we could make it to IRG but the daughter hasn't delivered yet, so we had to pull out. Have a great time and we're pulling for you!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DougH » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Looks pretty good to me Dan. I really want to see the full size one, love the trolley tops. Nice job
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Nice racer Dan!....

here's a tip that may help many of you builders....bring along some cup hooks. The track is fairly wide and it's possible to get all crossed up and stopped. Cup hooks will help to keep the front end from getting into the side at an angle that will stop it. Wheels or rollers on the sides aren't allowed...a wire whisker or cup hooks seemed to work quite well in the past. That's part of the challenge to build with 3 wheels! Another idea...bring along some stick on weights, or some fishing weights. If it's a hollow racer...drill a hole in it, load it with sand to make the max weight and put some tape over the hole.

It's one of those things...you'd figure it all out there...but this might help so that you don't waste any time once at the IRG. Many of us the first time showed up with what we thought were the "winner" only to find out that, some didn't make it to the end of the track. A fair amount of fine tuning was spent making them competitive. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dave A » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Hey Doug, I'm thinkin of using me surplus stinger missile for guidance. The only problem might be shrapnel at the tracks end. You got any extra body armor for the track crew?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dave A
500 Club

winning derby racer

Postby danlott » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:38 pm

I am not really sure mine will be the fastest racer there, so I am trying to scare off the competition from the beginning. Maybe if they think they will not have a chance they will not enter. My plan is fool proof... :twisted:

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:24 am

Dave...remember...safety first...no problem, just hand out goggles for everyone.

Here's a pic of my bevy of racers, except Finns. If there is someone that wants to be the designated driver of it, please get with me at the IRG.

From left to right...the Nomad still in building process, Baghdad Barbie right now working on Burqua to wheel clearance issues, The Voyager (race tested) and Finns entry also race proven. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby teardrop_focus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:46 am

Since I may not make the optimum use of my time to build a racer before I leave, I'd be honored to toss my name into the hat to send the Cap'n's racer down the track.

...right now working on Burqua-to-wheel clearance issues...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Lazybones » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:59 pm

I haven't built a racer :( , But; I'm going to have fun watching all the others try to get down the ultra rough track.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby DougH » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

This one isn't quite legal but is my tribute to Dan's selection for movie night: "The Long Long Trailer" Who knows, maybe more wheels will be my secert weapon on a bumpy track :)

[img][img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=67689[/img][/img]
DougH
Teardrop Master

Return to Jefferson State