Another Jefferson State Gathering Aug.6th,7th,8th.

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Another Jefferson State Gathering Aug.6th,7th,8th.

Postby Kayperkay » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:41 am

Hey all you die hard Jefferson Staters :twisted: ...How about another last minute gathering the first weekend in August? While on a back road drive, I checked out Sam Brown campground up on Onion mountain in Southern Oregon. Great spot for Teardroppers....I ran into the forest service while up there and they're looking forward to seeing the group use their services. 36 campsites...most can hold more than 1 trailer....best part...only $5.00 per site ....lots of shade, a huge group eating area....fun for a Dutch oven pot luck..!!! Will make a great spot in the heat of summer with all those tall pines and shade. Water close by for kids to play as well.

So...the first weekend of August...the 6th, 7th. and 8th. 2010. :thumbsup: ...It's a first come first serve campground, no reservations needed. Let me know if you're planning on coming up, everyone and anything welcome....OM SHALOM..!! 8) 8)

Sam Brown campground is located on the old Ferrin Ranch, 20 miles from Hwy.199( The top of Hayes Hill)
Directions From Grants Pass travel north on I-5 to Exit 61 (Merlin). Turn left (west) on the Merlin-Galice Road for 12 miles to Taylor Creek Road (FS Road 25), turn left. Continue 14 miles to FS Road 2512, turn right. The road is paved all the way. Don't forget to check out Hell Gate Canyon along the way( site of motion picture "Rooster Cogburn" starring John Wayne and Kathrine Hepburn....as well as "The River Wild" with Kevin Bacon and Meryle Streep....A must see 10 miles down Merlin Galice Road. You'll see waterfalls along Taylor creek road as well as my secret swimming spot 5.6 miles up on your left.

The water well has went dry at this campground but is available at the horse camp across the street or 1 mile back at Big Pine. There is a creek running right next to the cook shack.

Meandering up and over a hillside and through a stand of widely spaced fir and pine, campsites are spacious and await Teardroppers. At the entrance to the campground is a large meadow where birds are captured, banded, and tracked by the Forest Service. Occasionally, elk stop by the meadow for a snack. What a thrill to see one of these magnificent animals stroll across the former hayfield! And then there are the multi-use trails, almost 20-miles of trails for foot, horse, mountain bike and motor routes through the nearby woods.
2300 foot elevation. Good site for large groups, beautiful meadows. trailhead of Briggs Creek Trail located in campground, Taylor Creek and Dutchy Creek trailheads are nearby.

We'll have pot lucks Friday and Saturday night as well as a special little surprise party Saturday evening!!! :thinking: So bring your chair and cast iron and plan on a relaxing weekend in Southern Oregon.

I'm planning on taking site #24, it can hold at least 4 trailers with many sites close that can as well....I just want to be fairly close to the cook shack. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kayperkay on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
Director Jefferson State Tearjerkers
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm checking the calendar, busy summer, am already going to have to miss two other gatherings because of schedule conflicts, but this one may be doable. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby mercy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm

:cry:
argh. roy and i will be in denmark then.
-courtney
practice beautiful randomness and act kinda senseless
mercy
Teardrop Advisor

pics of Sam Brown campground

Postby Kayperkay » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:16 pm

I drove up to Sam Brown campgroud today to check things out...It looks FABULOUS up there....!!! :thumbsup: Things are still pretty and green. The water at this campgroud isn't usable :cry: so the Horse camp next door or Big Pine just 1 mile down the road will have to do. Big Pine also has great trails which are handicap accessable as well.
Here are a few pics.....

Hellgate CanyonImage

Onion Mountain Lookout

View from the Lookout
Big Pine interpretive trail

And here is a link to my Picasa page with pics of the ride up there as well as the campground.
http://picasaweb.google.com/100973630152377076526/SamBrownCampground?feat=directlink
Kay
Life is Devine Chaos....Embrace it...Forgive yourself......Breathe.....And enjoy the Ride...!!

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Roy & Courtney,
Man... That is such a drag. :lol:
Have FUN!!! :thumbsup: :applause:
(Joanie just got a new computer and it's a 64 bit type)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby grant whipp » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Count me in, too! Taylor Creek is "old stomping grounds" for me ... back when I was much younger and all I cared about was partying ... :shock: ...! And, that swimming hole is very refreshing!

Besides, I'll do almost anything to get out of this Nor-Cal HEAT! ... :? ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Betsey » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:28 pm

grant whipp wrote:Besides, I'll do almost anything to get out of this Nor-Cal HEAT! ... :? ...!

Yeah, while passing through Redding on our way home from the IRG, our car said the temp. outside was 108. Having acclimated to the temp. at Pamplin, our bodies were in shock & it felt like we were getting a bit crisp. lol

When we got home to Wisconsin, it was 86, with 98% humidity here. Not as hot but then instead of baking, we were steaming. lol

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lazybones » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:05 pm

I have plans already for that weekend. Bummer :(
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Friday night...bring your appetite...I'm making Chicken Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, and Beans....YUMMO.... 8) 8) 8) That should get the pot luck started... :thumbsup:
Kay

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby 4123 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Hay Kay,

I can't remember if the road is paved all the way to the Campground. Is it? We are planning to go check it out tomorrow on our motorcycles (if its paved). It looks like we will be coming with a couple of teardrops and maybe a TTT.

Ron
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:51 pm

It is from the Galice side...from 199, there were 2 spots that were gravel due to wash outs I suppose. Can't wait.....! 8) 8) 8)
Kay

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Postby Kayperkay » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:38 am

I'm almost all packed up and ready to roll :twisted: Heading up to Sam Brown around noon.....I hear we'll get quite the view of the Solar Tsunami tonight :thumbsup: See ya'll on the mountain 8) 8) 8)
Kay

Image Image Image
Kayperkay
The 300 Club

Sam Brown Campground T&TTT

Postby Biggerfoot » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Kay, we all had a great time this weekend. Thanks for putting this on, we really enjoyed ourselves.

Congratulations on your one year anniversary. :applause:
The cake was yummy! :thumbsup:

See you at Applegate.
Russ & Rita
Bigfoot Camping
Biggerfoot
Teardrop Inspector

JS Busyiness

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

:) We are home safely after a stop for lunch at Taylor Sausage...of course.

What a great batch of Jefferson State members that met up this weekend at Onion Mt. We had an enjoyable campout... teardropping, visiting, and eating. Fun time taking care of Jefferson State issues. Also, got the newbies, Ty & Shannon, cooking in a dutch oven already, and they did it well...Jefferson State Chicken Delight. It was yummy.

Thanks to KKay for organizing/planning this weekend and sharing the secret swimming hole. Kay, your cake was super, but really....the napkins take the cake!! :lol: :lol:

Take care and keep in touch, THANKS SO MUCH!
TDN :applause: :applause: :applause:
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Sounds like a great time!....the pics Kay put up looked like that area was just made for camping. So who has some pics to show? Could'ja see the northern lights? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Jefferson State