Calif. State Park Closure Mess -Finance Audit & Resolution

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Calif. State Park Closure Mess -Finance Audit & Resolution

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:38 pm

With the economic recession, the Federal government and many of our states and cities are experiencing the need to cut costs. To shave losses off the California state budget, 70 of its 278 parks are slated to close by June of 2012. The following information is given so that those of you who live in California or will be in California this year will have a chance, possibly your last, to visit some of these closing parks.

For a more complete explanation, a list of the closing parks and related information about them, please look here:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26685

Finance Audit and Resolution results are on page 2.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Sharon,

Turn out there is a new wrinkle the state had forgotten about.
Some of the parks have received federal money. Part of the agreement was to have public access.
So now the state will have to evaluate some more what can and can not be done.
I'm afraid time will only tell if this is another political ploy, or if this time they mean it.
Also I have not heard exactly what closed means. No ranger, no services, maybe locked entrance gates..... Still yet to be determined.

Stay tuned as the "Golden State" tries to make it past this bad spot in the economy
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:33 pm

Wolfgang 92025 wrote:

Turn out there is a new wrinkle the state had forgotten about.
Some of the parks have received federal money. Part of the agreement was to have public access.
So now the state will have to evaluate some more what can and can not be done.
I'm afraid time will only tell if this is another political ploy, or if this time they mean it.
Also I have not heard exactly what closed means. No ranger, no services, maybe locked entrance gates..... Still yet to be determined.

Stay tuned as the "Golden State" tries to make it past this bad spot in the economy.

Thanks, Wolfgang.

It is possible that some of the parks may be open some of the time, on a limited basis; however, it is best to check before you make your plans. You can go here to see what’s happening with any CA State Park:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/?tab=1

Example: If you select ‘B’ from the “Visit a Parkâ€
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DragonFire » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 pm

I can't believe they are closing Samuel P Taylor! That park was always so busy...surely it's pulling it's own weight?

Thankfully we still have Chaw'se Indian Grinding Rock SHP. It's a hidden gem. I only wish they made reservations!
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:01 pm

This kind of stuff always bugs me....it's all so political. Seems that no one working for the state is ever considered "non-essential" to the point of actually laying someone off, they got 2 extra days a month off.

Hit the common people with lack of services and then tell them they need to pay more in taxes. Why is it that no matter how many bills on education increases that pass, it never seems to work no matter how much money you throw at it? Billions into high speed rail between SF and LA....now that's a real need! Show off projects like that are just plain stupid...."my train is faster than yours"...China's got it....and it doesn't pay for itself...Anarchy now! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Yeah, it's a PITA, but until we Californians learn that we must pay for our services through taxes, it's gonna be a "fee-for-service" economy.

But there are lots of alternatives, some of them cheaper even. I spent 4 nights last week at Lassen Volcanic National Park for $18 per night, as opposed to $35 a night at Bothe-Napa last month.

There are regional parks, such as Lopez Lake near San Luis Obispo that are less crowded, cheaper, and sometimes nicer than our overcrowded, understaffed, undermaintained state parks.

<Chas>
a 3rd-generation native Californian
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:25 pm

If you live in an area where there is a state park that is slated for closure contact your city or county. The state is making agreements with local govs. to run the parks as city or county parks. The cities and counties are already set up for it . We are in the process of taking over the Sac River SRA in Colusa. It can be done.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby jhb » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Keep up the good work, that will happen here with Montaña de Oro should it go on the block, but there is really nothing to close there.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby boomboomtulum » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes very irratating they are going to close. I checked the list and my did favs did not make the list next year at least. Russian Gulch though did. :(
Just going to make it even harder to get in to the ones that will remain open, like it was easy anyway. Try to get into New Brightan in Capitola lately? Or Yosemite? Forget it.
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:33 am

From what I remember there is a net loss due to loss of tourist dollars jobs etc. Certainly analogous to what is happening on the national level.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jhb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Another thing is attendance is off the past 10 years, with the exception being Yosemite this spring and summer (lots of water in the falls...along with a few people). The article I read indicated a steady decline since the mid 80's. These days, it seems, people only go where their iPhones work fast, which, fortunately, is not the case in most national and state parks.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm still bummed that Samuel P. Taylor was on the list. But thankfully, Chaw'se (Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park) was not. I think that will be the first place I will take my teardrop when I'm ready to head out.

If we camp in state parks they have a better chance of staying open. If we go for the National or Regional instead, out State Parks will close, due to lack of demand. Of course, this being California, they might close anyway, but at least we tried.
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby sunny16 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm

So, is Montana d' Oro still open? I enjoyed that a couple of years ago. I would like to get back there again. Even if only to see if the racoons are still there! LOL :lol:
Maybe a gathering needs to be planned again. :thinking:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:17 pm

sunny16 wrote:So, is Montana d' Oro still open? I enjoyed that a couple of years ago. I would like to get back there again. Even if only to see if the racoons are still there! LOL :lol:

I visited Montana d'Oro in June. It was very open. State park closures aren't scheduled to begin until 2012.

I would not count on "if we go they will stay open due to demand." One of the parks with the highest occupancy rate (Big Basin SP) is on the list scheduled to be closed, along with such unknown, low-use parks as Robert Louis Stevenson SP above Calistoga.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby jhb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm

sunny16 wrote:So, is Montana d' Oro still open? I enjoyed that a couple of years ago. I would like to get back there again. Even if only to see if the racoons are still there! LOL :lol:

I'm sure the raccoons are still about, hopping to find a Izuzu full of bacon again..., and there are several of bobcat now, the female that was there for the gather (I saw her on a picnic table mid-day) had a litter and at least three survived.

There are no reservations there, so a big gather is a bit risky for those who have to travel a ways, but that is a great spot.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Jefferson State