Camping season is almost over.....

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

Camping season is almost over.....

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Penny, Rich (Rocketear owners) and I did a trip up to Wrights Lake this last weekend. Elevation is about 7K, incredible stars at night and dead silent other than the occasional owl, no bears, 40 at night, upper 70's in the day. It's only about 40 miles from home, this is about as good as it gets, except I know the camp hosts and our space was comped and she baked an incredible cherry pie for my first night there!

Found a campsite, one we could double up in with plenty of room:

Waffles on the 426 for breakfast....not quite done yet...a chipmunk cleaned off the overflow on the iron later in the day, and that baby was really picked clean. Forgot to mention and had to edit....Rich cooked up a marinated pork roast in the DO with mushroom gravy, fresh green beans, mashed potatoes baked with gruyere cheese, and the camp hosts brought by a pineapple upside down cake and some incredible ciabatta bread also from a DO. Camping eats are always the best!

Neil and Lyn's '66 Airstream Trade Wind pulled by a '71 Buick Centurion, he picked up the trailer on E-bay. They were there for 2 weeks. It has an all original interior, 'cept the floor in it. Neil is into changing flags everyday...he hauls like 30 of them with him all the time.

I met Neil 2 years ago and he had some Coleman items then....2 really nice Quicklights, early 20's, that he found in an attic of a home he bought back in the 70's. Both are users. He does his own polishing on the Trade Wind!

Morning along the creek leading out of the lake...

7:15 am at the lake....I'm really fortunate to have places like this nearby to camp at. It backs up to the Desolation Wilderness area. Lots of trails into the back country. This is one of my favorite spots for camping and I never get tired of this view. Sometimes, this area doesn't open until late July if we get a hard winter. Happy Camping....Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Camping season is almost over.....

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm

that last pic is just beautiful.
looks like a fantastic trip. :applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks for sharing you trip and pictures Doug. Very nice :thumbsup: .

We didn't go anywhere this weekend but I did help my son put a hitch receiver on his S-10 pick up.
Total outlay was $15 from a S-10 Blazer at the Junkyard.
He recently obtained a 1966 Kit 15' Companion in decent shape for only $250.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Good deal Danny! Sounds like you got a new project to at least "consult" on.

Thanks Louella...on the backside of the mountain in the distance is Lake Tahoe, we're on the west side. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Maureenm » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Beautiful. I am officially jealous. I can't really complain about a lack of nearby and scenic camping spots, but I wish that's what I had been doing this weekend.
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 am

Well, Doug, it looks like you've just had another wonderful weekend at Wright's Lake. It is one of very few campgrounds in your area that has a scenic rating of 10 out of a possible 10. :thumbsup: It would be hard to beat the company of good friends, either. ...Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jhb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 pm

What's up with this, Doug, trying to make us all jealous??? It's working.... :lol:

Well, Cathy and I camped with an ocean view over Labor Day, 25 minutes from our house, all three of our sons, two doughters inlaw, and two grand kids joined us for various parts of the weekend. Guess I can't complain, can I? :thumbsup:

As to camping season being over, we've got 3 more months before the rain hits. ;)
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby DougH » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:29 pm

That looks like a very nice campground Doug. I'll have to give that one a try someday. Hadn't heard of it before but I printed out some info so I won't foregt about it.
DougH
Teardrop Master

Return to Jefferson State