No Dam Gathering for me. Was suppose to go

That area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. (Ask Dean!) Includes Jefferson State Tearjerkers

No Dam Gathering for me. Was suppose to go

Postby Kathy53 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 am

The trailer I bought weighs more than the previous owner told me. I thought since it would still be under my towing weight of 2000 it would be ok. But after loading it and my car today it felt too heavy to me. The back of my car was lower. The trailer was suppose to weigh less than a 1,000 but it weighs 1500. Add what was loaded in the trailer was about 120 lbs. Then what was loaded in the back of my car prob added another 120 or more. Inflatable kayak, ice chest, dutch oven and a few other items. It would still been under 2000 but I did not like how it felt towing. I couldn't take my teardrop as silly me sold it a week ago. It sold within 4 hours of posting it on craigs list. Of course it is now on craigs list for double what he paid for it. Should of known what he was up to as he kept on trying to lower the price after we had settled on one. to the point where I told him to purchase it at the price we agreed on or not buy it at all. Then he kept on trying to get me to throw things in for free. He had spotted some camping equipment that I am going to sell in a yard sale. Want that for free, then when told no he would offer next to nothing. Doesn't hurt to ask but he would go on and on. What can I throw in for free.

Well lesson learned. But now I don't have a teardrop and a trailer that I will be limited on where I can take it to camp. I can take it to Lake McSwain as it is within 30 mile. No mountains for me. So I will need to sell it or find someone to trade for a teardrop or try to get a truck next year. The trailer is a 79 Plamor and really did look light. metal and paneling.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Re: No Dam Gathering for me. Was suppose to go

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 am

I had some of those problems when I switched from Mega-Mini number one to Mega-Mini Number seven (the last one they built). I wanted a large tongue box and they extended the tongue about five feet to accommodate it, with out moving the axle forward. This was compounded by putting a Lifeline AGM battery weighing 100# and all of the other stuff that went into the box. The Subaru Outback had a bit of a problem with saggy butt to begin with and I installed a set of stiffer rally springs in the rear, which brought it up to level, enough, when towing. Yes the tongue is still heavy but by compensating in spring rate it works well enough. The new Subaru has a stiffer suspension and I do not anticipate a problem.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 am

Really sorry to hear about your experience :(. Life lessons are sometimes very hard, be thankful this one just cost money.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby milliejohn » Fri May 03, 2013 12:38 am

How about an equalizer hitch, as long as you are not exceeding your towing capacity.

example http://compare.ebay.com/like/4004715666 ... v&var=sbar

Image ~I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left~
milliejohn
Teardrop Master

Postby Kathy53 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Well last year I did buy a 95 chevy blazer to pull my trailer, but I found out later that it has issues. It had a ticking noise which I thought was just because it was old. Of course not it is the lifters ticking. But this year I did real good, anyway I think I did. I bought a 96 chevy Silverado sportside. It is already set up for towing and only has 77,000 and some odd miles on it. It look well taken care of. It was listed on Carsforsale.com in Gilroy. Joy o Joy I got to pick it up yesterday in the rain. I had drove there Wenesday to check it out. It drove nice sounded good and the bank approved the loan but I did not want the payments. So went to my credit union and got a loan thru them. I called the car lot and told them I would be there Friday to pick it up. Thought about calling them Friday and telling them I would be there Saturday to pick it up instead due to the rain, but didn't was afraid it would be sold out from under me. Good thing I went Friday, because one of the contractors he had sold a truck to before, called him and wanted my truck Friday morning. He didn't call him back yet as he was waiting to see if I would show up the time I said I would. Glad I followed my instincts. (He didn't tell me that, I just figured that was why he hadn't called him back yet.)

Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Congratulations, love the color
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Congratulations, Kathy. The truck looks nice. :thumbsup:
...Better call Antlers and get your reservation in for a spot at the Dam Gathering!
...Hope to see ya there!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Jefferson State