Home Mountain bike trail system

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Home Mountain bike trail system

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 pm

We have been working for years on our own trail system. Alan in the campfire thread asked me about photo's.. and I thought I might post them here. We personally have 40 acres and have varying degrees of access to a few hundred more. We periodically head to the woods to work but this fall we have become pretty obsessed with building, going out most every day... sometimes all day. I will post some photo's of our more recent work.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: Home Mountain bike trail system

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:19 pm

This is our latest bridge. It is about 50' long. The span crossing the brook is about 18 feet, but the rest of the area heading this way.. is wet. On the far side there is a trail running parallel to the trail. There is also also a spine running directly up the hill from the far end of the bridge. I have always had a trail going up, but just recently added the bridge so one can head down the spine across the brook to the ridge on the other side. 100213
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 pm

This photo is from the middle of the same bridge.. heading the other way. I have a trail that zig zags this ridge. 100212
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:34 pm

100206 I have some areas with a lot of little hills and a lot of little brooks. I did a lot of bench cutting in this area.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:43 pm

100209100208 There are a couple of shots of our new 40' bridge. It was originally built as 2 bridges crossing 2 close by brooks. There ended up being only a short span between them, and I felt it best to connect them. While it does not show in the photo, it is a pretty steep hill on one end of it.
Last edited by Fenlason on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:45 pm

More freshly bench cut trails.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:52 pm

3 bridges that are pretty close by.. and another older one.. that one is 30 feet long and 16" wide.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Cool Glenn :thumbsup: wish I had a proper mountain bike trail nearby. Closest thing is so tame that I have ridden it on my rode bike (trek 1200) with only a single point of concern getting off the trail and on to the side walk at one end!
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby lancew » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 am

looks awesome fenlason. wish i land to do that with. if you didnt live 8+ hrs away i be out there helping ya. so much fun building trails, reading lay of the land. keep up the good work ! more pics more pics. oh oh and a video would be awesome, lol. not that you dont have enough to do ;)
lancew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby droid_ca » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Looking at your pictures Fenlason makes me want to get back into riding again or maybe getting my sulky cart built for my dogs so we can enjoy the outdoors like that...your course looks AWESOME....Thanks for sharing
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:37 pm

100210 this is a small bridge also on that bench cut trail. It is a little over 8' long. The bridge is sloped and it curves a little. 100200 The end of another bridge, showing the new bench cut that works it's way up the hill. There is also another trail that runs along the brook.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby asianflava » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:53 pm

That is pretty cool! :thumbsup:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Alan Wood wrote:Cool Glenn :thumbsup: wish I had a proper mountain bike trail nearby. Closest thing is so tame that I have ridden it on my rode bike (trek 1200) with only a single point of concern getting off the trail and on to the side walk at one end!

Thanks Alan. I have a wide range of stuff out there.. [although not much that is road bike friendly] We regularly lead rides here, and have some stuff more "beginner" friendly, and some stuff that's not. :D Most often an easy trail is near a harder one.. so if someone feels ready to try something harder, they are not making a commitment, they can easily just pop back to an easy one.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

lancew wrote:looks awesome fenlason. wish i land to do that with. if you didnt live 8+ hrs away i be out there helping ya. so much fun building trails, reading lay of the land. keep up the good work ! more pics more pics. oh oh and a video would be awesome, lol. not that you dont have enough to do ;)

8 hours isn't so bad.. :D :whistle: I do really love the work... and on much of the land.. our's and a couple of the neighbors.. I don't have to go through any process to start building.. no committees no approval processes.. I get the idea and just do it.

I will sometimes ask some of the people that ride here regularly for feedback. And I take suggestions.

I think my wife has some video... and I do have some other photos.. a lot might have to wait until spring..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

droid_ca wrote:Looking at your pictures Fenlason makes me want to get back into riding again or maybe getting my sulky cart built for my dogs so we can enjoy the outdoors like that...your course looks AWESOME....Thanks for sharing

Thanks....definitely start riding again.. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Next

Return to Bicycles