Teardrop mod for electric bike mount

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Teardrop mod for electric bike mount

Postby Alvin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am

Here are some changes I made in a T@G little man to carry an electric bike I made.
Removed large propane tank and adapted cook stove for 1 lb bottles. Added a tool box for storage and the battery which keeps it out of the weather. That gave me enough room on the tongue to add a rack for a small motor bike or electric bike. See pics....total tongue weight stayed the same .ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Alvin
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Teardrop mod for electric bike mount

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Nicely done.

Does the bike mount interfere with your turning?

I was looking at various solutions to a similar problem and found hitch extensions (12", 24", 36", longer?). Mostly used to either bring the hitch out from under a 5th wheel overhang or to allow for opening of pickup gate while attached to the trailer. One could extend the solution to have a bike carrier on the towing vehicle(TV) and the extension allowing room to/for the trailer tongue, etc. The extensions are rated for a fair amount of weight. I am not sure I would want this for a 5th wheel or even a heavy conversion trailer, but any light weight trailer seems like it should work.

Other than the issues of
  • more parts to fail
  • mis-install failure
  • the wiring harness is now too short
  • changing the backing characteristics of the two vehicles
  • add length to the level for too high a tongue weight
it seems like a possible solution. Obviously more dollars.

Thoughts?
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Alvin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:45 pm

No after I took that big propane bottle and cover off it let me move the rack back far enough to clear anything but a jackknife turn. The rack and the full propane bottle and cover counter balances so I did not change the hitch weight. I got a scale and measured. That weight is critical for me as I tow with my honda Accord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Alvin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:48 am

Alvin - Nice job on the bike rack. :thumbsup:

I ditched the 20 lb. cylinder on my trailer too. That's a lot of propane and a lot of weight, neither of which I needed. I added a box that is similar to yours to house the battery and store various items. I built brackets to carry a 5 lb. cylinder and 10 litre water tank on the sides of the box. To cut down on weight I travel with the tank empty and get water when I arrive at a site.

PCO6
Teardrop Master

Return to Bicycles