Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Catoosa Grani » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:38 pm

That is a special quilt. Danny I remember when you first saw the pattern and how much you wanted it. I am glad you got it, it is beautiful. Mary, you do fantastic sewing. Mary I wish I had you close to give me advice when I start my first quilt.

Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:54 pm

Just to bump this and a reminder that the Tulsa Quilt show is coming up on June 6th and 7th at the fair grounds. Evidently this is a major affair with over 400 quilts in show. :thumbsup:
http://www.greencountryquiltersguild.co ... 0show.html
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Catoosa Grani » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:01 pm

I have been working on my great granddaughters quilt now for a while.
I have really had to study as I haven't been able to go to any classes. I will show pictures when I get further along if you promise to not look too close and remember this is my first with no instructions except from books.

Grani

Thanks Miriam for reminding me about the quilt show.
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Re: Yosemite Falls Quilt by Mary (mfkaplan)

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:38 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:The UPS driver brought this beautiful "Yosemite Falls" quilt made by Mary (Mfkaplan) yesterday. We feel so special to have such a nice quilt to complete the Yosemite theme in our teardrop :beautiful: . Mary is quite the quilt artist and such a nice lady. Now I need to get busy and make her a custom sewing box to hold all her special scissors and bobbins of thread and whatnot's. :D Danny

Not a very good picture but here is the box I made for Mary. It's made from Quilted Western Big Leaf Maple, Walnut & Honduran Mahogany. The box is sitting on the back of the quilt. Mary was very pleased with it. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:42 pm

I've seen both the quilt and the sewing box in person....both are absolutely beautiful! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby mfkaplan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:19 pm

I certainly had a lot of pleasure making the quilt. I really love my box. It's sitting in the middle of the counter in my sewing room. I find myself just running my hands over it. It also has a wonderful very mellow wood smell. Danny is certainly a master woodworker. I'm very privileged to own a piece of his work.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:37 pm

mfkaplan wrote:I certainly had a lot of pleasure making the quilt. I really love my box. It's sitting in the middle of the counter in my sewing room. I find myself just running my hands over it. It also has a wonderful very mellow wood smell. Danny is certainly a master woodworker. I'm very privileged to own a piece of his work.

Thanks Mary. We both made out quite well. Can you post a photo of the box filled with thread bobbins and your collection of scissors?
I'd love to see how it's being used. Thanks, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Eunice » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:50 pm

We had an opportunity to see Mary's sewing box when Danny and Jane spent the night at the JSC 1st rogue valley rendezvous. it is beautiful. I understand how Mary just runs her hands over it. The different woods ares amazing and how Danny put it together is just unbelievable.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:11 pm

:o I really have to stop going away. Danny and Mary they are both spectacular. Amazing work really. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby traveler » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Just went to a car show in my home town and they wanted me to buy a "T" shirt. I have soooo many t shirts that I am going to ask one of my friends that loves to do such projects, if she would like to do a car show/teardrop gathering quilt and see what come of it. That mean that I am going to have to buy three teardrop t shirt from each gathering in the future to catch up with my car show t shirts. WOW that is going to be alot of t shirts.
Bruce JSC :SG :twisted:
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby mfkaplan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:14 pm

I Will post a picture of the box in use late next week.when I'm home. I'm at my son's house in Alpharetta, Georgia now. Had to fly, couldn't take the teardrop this year.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:11 pm

I know this isn't a quilt but it's fabric. I scored 9.25 yards of this Yosemite National Park fabric. All I could find of it a year ago was a table runner and one place mat. We are planning on using it for curtains, bottom sheet, and pillow cases. If Jane hasn't the time I may have to learn how to use the sewing machine. It's just another machine so why knot. :D DannyImage
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tinksdad » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:02 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote: If Jane hasn't the time I may have to learn how to use the sewing machine. It's just another machine so why knot. :D Danny

Just another machine is right!! I didn't have anybody to do my mending and such; so I was forced to buy a sewing machine and learn how to use it. Got the $89 wally special. Don't know if it's up to making a quilt; but it sure did fine when I made the curtains for the kitchen windows in the house, and a couple of stuff sacks, and a few other things. :oops: HMMM.... I guess it's not too late to see if it will do at least a basic fabric fill quilt. Another learning experience!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby tinksdad » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:28 am

I have to stop looking for new projects!!! :x

Even though it's no where as nice as some of the ones posted here, last night I started a simple "woobie" comforter for my tear. It's just a simple one piece top, back, and two layers of fiber fill batting (I wanted "poofy"). Got it all sewed together and turned right side out. Now I need to turn to the experts. What do I do to the middle field to keep it kind of together so it's not just kind of a mis-shapen lump???? :? I used to be able to ask the "ex"; but now that I'm single again, I need to learn all these things on my own. The ladies at Hancock Fabrics have been wonderful so far; but they look at me with that kind of strange look (like I really don't belong there)!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:45 am

For a thick poofy one like that, your best bet is probably to tie it. I just won't machine quilt worth beans. Get some embroidery floss and a big needle. go through the top and come back up about 1/4" away and then tie it off on top. Cut the thread about 3/4" long after tying it. How far apart you space the ties depends on just how poofy it is. You want to tie it in so that when you wash it, the fill doesn't wad up into a big knot inside. With 2 layers inside, I'd tie it really well. A quilt like that will put a SHAMWOW to shame with the amount of water it can hold. Doug (quilt/fabric store owner)
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers