Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:49 am

doug hodder wrote:For a thick poofy one like that, your best bet is probably to tie it. I just won't machine quilt worth beans. Get some embroidery floss and a big needle. go through the top and come back up about 1/4" away and then tie it off on top. Cut the thread about 3/4" long after tying it. How far apart you space the ties depends on just how poofy it is. You want to tie it in so that when you wash it, the fill doesn't wad up into a big knot inside. With 2 layers inside, I'd tie it really well. A quilt like that will put a SHAMWOW to shame with the amount of water it can hold. Doug (quilt/fabric store owner)

Just to give a different perspective you can mark out squares and tie the corners I use half of the embroidery floss so the knots are tighter (I'm a wimp) Doug is right about the SHAMWOW effect. You can also tie in lines. Just take your needle and every 2 or 3 inches make a stitch less than a 1/4" but more than 1/8", leave it loose. Then you can cut in the middles and tie it off. ;)

:lol: edited cause I left out some words and 8)
Last edited by Miriam C. on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tinksdad » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks for the advice and tips. I'll work on it and see what comes of it... (and post some :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: if I think of it). If it don't turn out right, Ill just throw it on the guest bed and start another for the tear.

Back in the Northeast, I used to have a nice fluffy down filled comforter (I won't even try to spell the Polish pronunciation of what it was called) and that was the effect I was hoping to achieve. I didn't take into consideration the difference between down and fiber fill. Oh well.... you're never to old to learn.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:22 am

If it is not poofy enough for you you can always stuff the small squares. You get a tube and put in some fiber fill and push it in the square/circle. Then you need to make the knots closer together.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Catoosa Grani » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Well, after about 6 months, I finally finished my very first quilt. There was a period of "poison ivy" when I didn't dare work on it. I have learned a lot about making quilts with this one. I wanted to share the pics with you but don't look too close. My stitches are not very small. I made this for my great granddaughter who is due on Sept. 8, and I wanted to do as much by hand as I could to make it more special. When you say it was made with "blood, sweat, & tears", that is the truth and probably has all three on it.

Image Image
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:43 pm

:woohoo: :beautiful: :P Betty you did a great job on the quilt. Your great grandchild will really appreciate that you signed it too. Oh and stiches don't show up in pictures too good.:shhh: 8) Your corners are nice an even and you Blocks are square. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Catoosa Grani » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks Miriam, I appreciate your input. Of course Gene & Jon bragged on it but what do they know, I'm the Mama. I used to laugh about my Dad, what ever I did was just wonderful. I always said that I could bring him a cow patty and he would put it beside his chair and brag on it. He was a good man.

Grani (Betty)
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Grani, it came out beautifully. That blood, sweat, and tears just means that it was made with lots of love for a special baby. I love the fact that you embroidered the label on the edge. No guessing who made it for whom. Congratulations on your first quilt. Start a new one!
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catoosa Grani » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks Mary. You do such beautiful work that it really makes me feel good to have you comment on my quilt. You and Miriam have inspired me to try this. I wasn't sure how to sign it but my books say to do it. I thought about it a lot and finally decided on the embroidery on the inside bottom. I was pleased with how it turned out. Yes, I will start another one soon.

Thanks again!
Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mike C. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Grani,

I don't have enough talent to make a quilt, but I've seen a lot made and I think you did a great job. I can see the blood,sweat and tears, but mostly, I can see the love you put into it. If her momma and daddy take care of it, I'm sure that when that little girl is grown, it will be one of her most treasured possessions. :applause: :applause: :applause:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby doug hodder » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Grani...congratulations on the completion of your first quilt! You've taken your first steps on a great hobby. Something like that is a wonderful gift...comes from your heart, too few people anymore do hand work like that!....I see new quilters daily with their creations...really gives you some satisfaction huh? Be proud!!! you deserve it... Great job!!! :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Catoosa Grani » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:11 am

Mike, thanks for your comeback.
Doug, I appreciate you putting your post in also. I was so scared to start out and made a lot of mistakes but redid them and I am proud of the finished piece. I did a lot of reading in quilt books, talked to a lot of people and went to the quilt show. I was bound and determined to do this for my new little great granddaughter.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement.
Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby cccamper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:43 pm

doug hodder wrote:Auntie M...I'm sure you remember "Dick and Jane" from your schooling, I'm willing to bet you can....anyway....well it's out from Moda fabrics....I "fussy cut" the characters, put them on an island in the middle of the ocean with sharks swimming about...and put Sally in the water with one of her dismembered legs in the mouth of a shark...meanwhile, Dick and Jane are running across the island wondering what is going on, can't wait to see what Sally is up to...while a B2 Bomber is checking in for a bombing run on them with a pirates chest is on the island....hey...I thought it was funny :lol: :lol: Doug...

I think Ira and I may have a lot more in common than I thought.... :lol:

Wow! Love it!!!!! Hope you show us!

It would be great to decorate a tear that someone else paid for and we could do it as our true inner self.... Since Guppy's first "outfit" is all trees, bears, moose etc... add Smokey the Bear Gone Bad in just one little wall quilt....as a start... hmm Little Red RIding Hood to bring in a big bad wolf....

See,parents, do not let your children read Mad Magazine........ :lol:

e . . . :peace:
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:03 pm

cccamper wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Auntie M...I'm sure you remember "Dick and Jane" from your schooling, I'm willing to bet you can....anyway....well it's out from Moda fabrics....I "fussy cut" the characters, put them on an island in the middle of the ocean with sharks swimming about...and put Sally in the water with one of her dismembered legs in the mouth of a shark...meanwhile, Dick and Jane are running across the island wondering what is going on, can't wait to see what Sally is up to...while a B2 Bomber is checking in for a bombing run on them with a pirates chest is on the island....hey...I thought it was funny :lol: :lol: Doug...

I think Ira and I may have a lot more in common than I thought.... :lol:

Wow! Love it!!!!! Hope you show us!

It would be great to decorate a tear that someone else paid for and we could do it as our true inner self.... Since Guppy's first "outfit" is all trees, bears, moose etc... add Smokey the Bear Gone Bad in just one little wall quilt....as a start... hmm Little Red RIding Hood to bring in a big bad wolf....

See,parents, do not let your children read Mad Magazine........ :lol:

e . . . :peace:

:rofl: :angel: :rofl2: Must be a girl thing. "E" he did post the pictures but deleted them at some point. :chicken:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby cccamper » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:07 am

oh well. thanks for letting me know. am pretty good at visualizing and think i got it.

i'm always late. keep trying to remember so much good stuff is long forgotten...just recorded.

we need an avatar of homer simpson "dohhhhhh"

e . . . :designing:
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:53 am

alright....I'll try to find the picture again on the computer and post it...haven't done anything to it since the original post however. I do have some dinosaur fabric that might be incorporated into it. Sorry, I dump pics pretty regularly. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers