Quilting Bee anyone?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby nevadatear » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Thanks everyone, for the kind comments. The hawk quilt went for $65 at the silent auction. It probably would have gone for more, as past one's have sold for over 100, but there were close to a 100 different items there and not 100 people. Most items went for $35-45 so I am happy.
Last edited by nevadatear on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Debbie....someone got 1 heck of a deal on that one! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Yes, I can quilt with half a thumb

Postby nevadatear » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:04 pm

So on my forced recuperation time off, I got too bored by the second week, so decided to see if I could quilt with half a thumb and finish the advent calenders I started for the grandkids last year, and apparently I can. Hand sewing is clearly impaired, at least for a while longer, but I can machine sew. This is a adaptation of a Debbie Mumm pattern, using her fabrics. But I took the block panel, cut it apart and made 25 pockets. The snow man is a printed panel, the baskets are pieced, with pieced borders. Machine quilted in the ditch and outline of the figures on the snowman panel. Not my best work, but good enough for toddlers!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:52 pm

:o Wow Debbie, nice "effort"... :) You certainly do good work... :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:54 pm

From the looks of that quilt, you're recuperating nicely, Debbie! Wanting/needing to 'do' is a good sign. That's a cute quilt!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby steve smoot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Debbie, that is some really nice work. I love quilts. I have been know to go to guilt shows with the wife.
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby rebapuck » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Looks good from here.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:46 am

sorry I missed this one. Nice job on the advent calender Debbie! Those are always really popular and you really did it up well.

I know that there are others out there that are doing some quilting or sewing projects....now is the time to show your stuff! Git-R-dun in time for camping season and show us all! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Son's 30th birthday quilt

Postby nevadatear » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 pm

so, after a 8 month rest to let my thumb mostly heal :( I finally put the borders on my son's quilt I have been working on for almost two years now. I hope to have it done before he turns 33! I will be basting it together today, and hopefullly start the hand quilting (yes, I said hand quilting) tomorrow!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Re: Son's 30th birthday quilt

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:50 pm

nevadatear wrote:Image

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
You are one talented lady. And your son is a lucky guy even if his birthday present was a little late. How you can even consider hand quilting with an injured thumb is beyond me. I am in awe of you. :bowdown:
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks! I don't enjoy machine quilting, especially on large projects, since I quilt because I enjoy it, it doesn't make sense to do something that makes me frustrated. I am considering this my occupational therapy! I just finished basting it, it really wasn't too bad. I would say it took me no longer than pre amputation. So, I will start tonight and see how it goes!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Very nice Debbie! That is one butt load of 1/2 square triangles, and from what I can see, your points are great! Great choice on fabrics and colors! That's an heirloom type of quilt, I'm sure he will enjoy and hang onto that for the rest of his life. Hand quilting?...What a trooper! What are you backing it with, and what's the size?

I recently finished up a sample that has quite a few triangles, in the new RV fabric...but not that many! I don't do up stuff that involved as it's just a sample till the fabric moves and I need to make it easy enough for someone to want to buy a kit or show what can be done with the fabric. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby nevadatear » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:59 pm

thanks Doug, not all the points are as good as the ones in the pic. Do you really think I would take a pic of the bad points!? :lol:

And yes, that was a WHOLE LOT of them. Thus part of the reason it has taken me so long. I would go several months and not be able to force myself to look at one more 1/2 square tri set! But once I got the new Pfaff, I finished in pretty fast. Then the small problem of cutting off 1/2 my thumb! :oops: It is King size. I have never made King before, it is DAMN big! It is 96 x 104 right now, prequilting. Finished basting this afternoon, so the quilting starts! It will be very traditional. I decided to save my thumb as much as possible, and get it done before the turn of the century, I am not doing anything complicated or fancy, just 1/4" traditional hand quilting.

debbie
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:26 am

Bump...
While it's not as impressive as what Debbie has done....it's a sample that I did for the store, a throw size. You need to start somewhere and work into Debbies realm. If I can attempt it, so can you! The thing is....there are lots of very simple patterns that just about anyone can do, if you have a decent sewing machine, a few basic tools and the will to do it. This is just a top at this point...not quilted.

This one is just some simple 4 patches and some half square triangles, with some sashing, large blocks and borders. Don't take a bigger bite than you can handle and get into something difficult from the get go....but you might just be surprised at how user friendly this hobby is. I'd bet that anyone at a local store would be more than willing to help you out.

If you have an interest in quilting...just go into your local fabric or quilting store and see what they have to offer...there are tons of introductory projects.....Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby nevadatear » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:28 am

Hey Doug, I love it! I have always like the jacob's ladder pattern. Used that pattern to make my son's high school graduation quilt!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers