Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby Philip » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:16 am

You should be afraid of them tree rats. They can mess up wiring real fast. It's like candy for them.

My brother has a 2006 chevy 2500. At its one-year-old mark one of those tree rats got under the hood and ate the main wiring bundle off the under-hood fuse box. Every wire coming in and out. Try finding an engine bay harness for a 1-year-old truck. Chevy was back ordered no idea on when it could be had. Took him 5 months to find a used harness. Needless to say, his infestation of tree rats has hit its all-time low for quite a few years now.

BTW they chewed out about 6" of wire out of that bundle. No way to pull enough slack to resolder them back together.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:02 pm

The only effective method has been red pepper and vegetable oil as a spray. We have 182 (just a guess) on the 5 acres and the little shits are everywhere. Dryer sheets have had a bit of effect but the red and cayenne find ground pepper is the only effective deterrent.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:52 pm

I find a .22 to be very effective but in close quarters a wrist rocket will do.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Philip » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:57 am

rjgimp wrote:I find a .22 to be very effective but in close quarters a wrist rocket will do.

Yep I gifted him a 22 with an aim point on it. Put the red dot on the place you want to install the perforation. :lol:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:51 am

This summer is when I finally closed the envelope. Put R32 in the ceiling of the caboose. Already had R 25 walls and floor. I was very proud of the performance of my little Mr. Heater propane wall heater. We just went thru 3 days of sub zero with 35 to 50 MPH sustained winds. The wind chill numbers were up and down side of Minus 40 for 3 full days. I left Mr. Heater on the low #1 setting while gone and popped it up to #3 when home. (It goes to 7 or 8.) I am guessing I have used about $200.00 worth of propane so far this heating season. Tank is never fully filled by my provider and is now down from 80% to 55% . I may have to see them in early February but really trying to make it thru. I really should take Sheila's idea of candles as a nice little auxiliary heat source. During the day if the sun is out I can feel the solar gain thru the garden window that is oriented due south. I can almost work on my tan. Hope you all stayed warm during our arctic blast !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:16 am

Nice to hear from you Bob.
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:07 am

WOW A 3 MONTH ABSENCE ! I am gonna have to turn in my tiny trailer card if I don't get busy....... Today was just nostalgia day. I started at the front of my thread and read till my eyes bled. Man, simply looking back at all that work made me exhausted. I had to do some investigation. My side door install has failed thanks to water intrusion. I needed to get a look at the skeleton of the framing to see what I will be up against when I tear into the repair. It is nice that you can have the benefit of seeing what you did before burying the framing behind drywall and trim. As I peel the onion I will post more about this delima. A door leak went unchecked and water has destroyed a wall stud and a large portion of the floor and siding. It will be a gut job after easter. After Easter we will pull the gal pals prize Mustang out of hiding and I will have the tractor barn back to move the office furniture into while I make the repairs. This build was ultra cheap and sometimes that hinders your selection of the better options in materials and treatments. Poor folk have poor ways and sometimes that makes poor choices. This little house has kept me warm and dry and has proven to be a great fortress of solitude when I wanted a get away. It has proven to answer all my needs. In the last few years I have finally gotten ahead financially and could afford the big LP tank install and the addition of the internet These have both proven to be fantastic additions. More to follow ! :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:34 pm

Bob,
Sorry to read about the wood rot.
I have been renting since last July when we sold our house at the height of the home buying mania in Florida and I sometimes miss being able to work on my own place.
You'll have that rotted wood fixed in no time, unless you go with the penetrating epoxy repair like the lazy boat owners use, to help speed it up. I built my own home back in 1983 - 950 sf, 3br, 1-1/2 ba and I spared no expense to do it right. I used treated wood mud sill plates, treated 1x6 for all the eave and soffit ends, etc. I hope to go by that house in Rossville, IL one day and see how well my craftsmanship has held up. It never occurred to me that I was building a house that would outlive me one day.
Mark
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:46 am

After 11 years I was finally able to clean and spit polish the inside of the caboose enough to get some good interior shots...... click to enlarge

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Greg M » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:35 am

It hasn’t really been that long, has it? You’re makin me feel old ;)
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:28 am

Here it is January and I was so bored I documented washing dishes in the tiny house way.

All summer I used the outside kitchen on the depot trailer but ice and cold has driven me inside.

I put several pics with comments in my album I am getting so out of practice I have forgotten how to post them

IT MAY BE ALSHEIMERS :crazy:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:39 am

Found an addition to the caboose at Goodwill for $6.00

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:41 pm

Hi Bob! Glad to see you are still perfecting the Caboose build :) -
I'm still in Cape Coral , FL, but in the 15 years since I moved here, I have begun to age into the nickname and slogan for this city, = Cape Coma :cry: "Home of the newly wed and the nearly dead!
Living in a rental house since 2022, means I can't indulge my mental fancy in planning and building a new tiny trailer- I did buy a used Gypsy Caravan book on ebay- just in case. Back in the 60's-70's, I saw stories in magazines like -I built a 10hp hydroplane racing boat in my living room or I built my Volksplane airplane in my bedroom. My wife won't allow that.
So, I am spending my time going to the estate sales (with a $10 budget) and then on Monday, I go back and look over the free stuff they put out on the curb.
Some finds from a week ago
A 1971, Tell City Indiana, hard rock maple table with two leaves- some minimal Hurricane flood damage (repairable for guys like us) made it a no-sale, so it was trashed- My wife wasn't home when I put it in the garage- I rearranged the other treasures to disguise it from my wife. hehe
Hiding under some wood on the pile I discovered a vintage ( My age or older) wood carving- I checked Tineye image search and there were zero matches, so this could be a one of a kind= $1000! - and I saved the last one in the world from the garbage truck.
Actually, I asked an antique furniture restorer and he said after WW2 Asian wood carved pieces similar to this showed up for sale or were brought back by military servicemen. I wish it could talk to me.
Have a great spring Bob- I'm afraid your have missed the planting season for snow peas, so just plant the regular ones.
click to enlarge:
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Gold5one wrote:...
Hiding under some wood on the pile I discovered a vintage ( My age or older) wood carving- I checked Tineye image search and there were zero matches, so this could be a one of a kind= $1000! - and I saved the last one in the world from the garbage truck.
Actually, I asked an antique furniture restorer and he said after WW2 Asian wood carved pieces similar to this showed up for sale or were brought back by military servicemen. I wish it could talk to me.
click to enlarge:

That looks quite similar to carved panels, furniture, and household decorations that my dad's sister sent back from the Philippines between '47? and '56, while her husband was stationed at Clark Field (AFB). After that, they were moved to James Connally Air Force Base, just south of our family's home area, Dallas-Fort Worth, so no more Asian carvings were forthcoming.

I remember seeing full walls of carved panels, a complete bedroom suite in my aunt's house, and every older relative had tons of the decorations in many rooms of their houses. There was also a lot of bronze stuff sent back home, but I don't know what country they came from. I actually received one thing from the Philippines, a decorated shield that had tribal knives and weapons displayed on it (cut from tin), when I was 6, IIRC. It hung on my bedroom wall until I moved away in '70. Don't know what happened to it, or any of the other stuff, after the families lost contact/moved on/died out by 2000. Some of it might've been valuable, but who knows?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gold5one » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:09 pm

working on it wrote:
Gold5one wrote:...

That looks quite similar to carved panels, furniture, and household decorations that my dad's sister sent back from the Philippines between '47? and '56, while her husband was stationed at Clark Field (AFB). After that, they were moved to James Connally Air Force Base, just south of our family's home area, Dallas-Fort Worth, so no more Asian carvings were forthcoming.

I remember seeing full walls of carved panels, a complete bedroom suite in my aunt's house, and every older relative had tons of the decorations in many rooms of their houses. There was also a lot of bronze stuff sent back home, but I don't know what country they came from. I actually received one thing from the Philippines, a decorated shield that had tribal knives and weapons displayed on it (cut from tin), when I was 6, IIRC. It hung on my bedroom wall until I moved away in '70. Don't know what happened to it, or any of the other stuff, after the families lost contact/moved on/died out by 2000. Some of it might've been valuable, but who knows?

Well waddya know, The wisdom of TNTTT members is all encompassing!
Thanks for that info!
Clark AFB was a plum assignment- I was told that some guys would reenlist, if they were promised in writing that the next duty station would be at Clark. Must have been a "fun" place.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels