The kitchen is looking great!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby southpier » Mon May 19, 2014 6:49 am

great read; starting over every once in a while encourages us to align priorities.

good onya!
southpier
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 19, 2014 7:06 am

Well the typical monday update........

Back home from the spring gathering at 3:30 I jumped into gear to get the cabinets installed ( or at least temporary placed ) in the kitchen.

Here are a few pics.....

I have a lot of old school stereo stuff and it was a bit too big for the living room neich so I went looking for alternatives and found that this cabinet measures up just fine so I moved one stud in the little clipped whatever room and shoved it into the wall.

I had a drawered vanity cabinet extra that I will put an extended toe kick under later, so it will plane out with the stove top. ( Vanities are 33" and kitchen counters are 36" tall )

and the old pantry has even found a new home Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 21, 2014 10:26 am

Got all my old school stereo goodies ( turn table , cassette player , even an 8 track player.) in the cabinet last night. Had to add 2 shelves. Now I gotta relearn how to hook it all up.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 30, 2014 9:02 am

Well last night I added a night latch chain to the big roll door. A few nights ago I found it rolled open about two foot. It was a stormy night and it could have been the wind. I might have not gotten it closed tight. I might have had a nosey visitor. What ever the reason it concerned me a bit so I took my 4 1/2 " grinder and cut the safety chain off of the roll about stairs and installed it on the roll door. I simply installed an eye bolt in an existing hole on the steel framed door and the chain will extend from the eye bolt and thread thru one of the huge steel lugs on the I-beams. I can now secure the door at night.

Total cost 84 cents :lol:

Last edited by bobhenry on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri May 30, 2014 11:04 am

If that doesn't work Bob a recording of a 12 gauge being racked works well. It is the universal sound for "RUN"
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Verna » Fri May 30, 2014 12:56 pm

I like the way you think, Woodbutcher!!! Even a 20 gauge being racked for real is my hope to scare someone out who doesn't belong here!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:15 am

Little steps will still get ya there........

A couple tiny steps in the last few days.

I installed a light in the out house. ( Mr. Stinkys house ) ( The porta potty house ) or what ever ya want to call it.
In the nifty stuff I received from "Freecycle" , was a neat little spring wound timer switch. A little twist will get you from 3 to 15 minutes then it shuts off automatically. It was just the ticket for those dark of the night trips. It allows one to return to the inside while the light is still on and you can't forget to shut it off. So I installed it just to the left of the door before you even enter the room. I wish I had planned better as it was a pain to get a feed to and thru the ceiling. I tagged it into a live feed going to the living room center ceiling fan. I also installed the ceiling fan to help with the hot days ahead.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:38 am

Well yet another baby step. I installed the ceiling fan over the bed in the bedroom. There is a lot to be said for being a single male when it comes to home remodeling. I was dreading stripping the bed and removing the mattress and box springs to be able to get a ladder in place to hang the fan. About half way thru clearing the bed I looked around the corner and there stood an 8' by 2' sheet of plywood and a few unused 2x4's.

A little light went on :roll:

I placed two 2x4 on the bed and covered them with the plywood sheet and had a makeshift "walk board" to work from.
The installation was a snap after that. It was really nice to sleep under the gentle breeze offered by the fan last night.

I awoke to the pitter patter of rain on the steel roof 17' above my head. My little house and front yard was dry inside it's protective building. At the height of the rain storm the din out in the building was very loud but as the insulation and wall board is added the house in a house gets quieter and quieter inside as you shut the front door.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:18 am

Left work a little early yesterday and went to work on the shop area.

I needed a place to store nuts, bolts, screws, nails, and other fasteners that are currently in boxes everywhere.

This shelf ( with the wall paper still in some of the voids) was a " what not " shelf in the dining room and had been wallpapered to match the room. I removed it from the banks house and had it in the barn. I had thought it might be added as storage to the caboose. However it is needed in the house in a house as a storage system. So, I decided to heft the monster up onto a plastic bucket setting on the work bench to support it while I screwed in onto the OSB back wall behind the work bench. Now up it will be filled with all sorts of tubs and bins and maybe even a few smaller power tools. The shelf units on either side as you can see will also house the larger power tools.

One step at a time :NC
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:13 am

Well another piece to the puzzle has arrived. Some of you may know I was having trouble converting my 1940 ish magic chef gas stove to LP. Well I solved the problem last night for $40.00.

It got a gloss over cleaning to make it pretty for the picture and it will get a good going over this week then be installed.

And then I can cook again :thumbsup:

A $300.00 + Frigidair LP ready gas stove out of a guys barn who really needed a few bucks.

Thank you Lord :worship:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:42 am

Good find Bob, but somehow I am not surprised with all the stuff you find! :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 am

Woodbutcher wrote:Good find Bob, but somehow I am not surprised with all the stuff you find! :lol:

Yep someone up there loves me !

OH I forgot to mention my concrete block find. They were free free !

Now I can pier up the caboose !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:10 am

Early ( 7:00 am) Saturday morning I took a borrowed floor jack and was finally able to complete the leveling of the caboose. I am happy to report it is now pool table flat and level :applause:

While in town I picked up more lumber I had purchased from work to continue building trusses for the pole barn I am building for a friend.

Later Saturday and all day Sunday were repair days. Got a new set of tail lights put onto the flat bed trailer I have utilized for hauling load after load of furniture and building supplies. I had a good buddy install rear brakes on the pickup and recharge the AC on my little Suzuki Esteem while I replaced a burned out tail light on the Esteem and installed a new 4 way flat on the tongue of the flat bed to feed the 2 newly installed tail lights. It appears I will need a new converter box as the brakes lights refuse to work on the trailer despite all efforts and the elimination of all other possible problems. As usual I was unable to locate my test light but that is all that is left that it could be. Those little converter boxes are rather unforgiving with electrical shorts and the tongue had been dropped on the wiring harness and cut it clear in two.

Late into the evening I got home cooled down and washed up and decided setting on my butt would get me nowhere so I installed more drywall over the fully insulated front wall. In just a few hours this week I have gotten the little clip walled pantry and the front wall drywalled. Since the temp reached triple digits Sunday evening I installed the 6000 btu Fridgidair air conditioned in one of the front windows and it cooled down my little 500 sq ft home in about 90 minutes. :applause:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bonnie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:23 pm

AC is a good thing, as hot as it's been. :thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels