Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:39 pm

Well went over at lunch and installed some better door locks on the Caboose.

I also grabbed a picture of my temp fix for the side door.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pjo129 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 am

That'll hold it.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby mezmo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:31 pm

What's that old saying ? - "Katie !, Bar the Doors !"
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Simple and effective!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 pm

bobhenry wrote:...I also grabbed a picture of my temp fix for the side door.

mezmo wrote:What's that old saying ? - "Katie !, Bar the Doors !"
pjo129 wrote:That'll hold it.
Shar wrote:Simple and effective!
Great minds think alike (well, maybe not "great", but "practical, re-purposing" minds).
Photo188h.JPG
Photo188h.JPG (128.02 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
quoted from a prior thread... a 3/4" diameter oak dowel is dropped/slid into the aluminum receivers to seal it. Oak used this way has good resistance to shear, and just enough "give" to be able to fit into the receivers (if not ideally aligned). The dowel can be cut from the inside, also, as a fail-safe in case my wife can't pull/lift it out (inside cabin tool kit w/mini-saw). Here is a table to show why I used a dowel in this door "lock".
Oak properties.pdf
(85.3 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ParTaxer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:09 am

Bob, there is a great article on tiny houses in The Courier Journal this morning. Many of the issues that you have encountered are addressed in this article.
I'm having a hard time entering a link but it is the front page article if you go to their website.

http://www.courier-journal.com/
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:27 am

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks Bob, I will bring the entire article to Starve Hollow for you. The Courier Journal website leaves a lot to be desired. The article goes into zoning issues. It looks like if you keep the wheels on you can get around a lot of zoning issues.

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:41 am

Caboose was set on the property two weeks ago. So far no nasty stickers pasted on the door and no phone calls. I am installing a gate and a rural mailbox some time this weekend. I still have to find a mower that will get thru the nose high weed patch so I can get the vegetation in check.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:33 am

Anyone out there willing to help ?

I am not alone these folks need our help.

Please take a minute and reply to their plea for help.

Sign in and take credit for helping we will all give you a big :thumbsup:

http://www.change.org/petitions/routt-county-planning-department-stop-the-routt-to-elitism-ask-routt-county-colorado-to-stop-harassing-dalton-reed-and-other-pine-springs-property-owners

" It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment.”-Ansel Adams
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:53 pm

I moved my post from this thread to the "property rights" thread. Seems a better fit over there.
Last edited by MtnDon on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:43 pm

It seems to me that the County has a certain Image it wishes to have. They prefer wealthy people with big wallets. That brings more tax dollars into the county for the powers that be to spend. These average people are not going to be welcome because they don't contribute enough revenue to the system. This seems to be a problem that the "Tiny House " people run into in many areas. Mostly because it's never been done before. Municipalities say NO because they don't want to see if they can make it work.

But with that said, the zoning rules in the 60's were well written and covered everything that was present at the time. Single family homes on minimum size lots, maybe one of those new duplex units that some young kids wanted. After all, why would you want to share a wall with someone? Well then someone approached a zoning board somewhere and wanted to build a large condo complex. All of a sudden someone wants to stuff triple the number of people in the same square footage. That can't be good.....

My point is at all times laws are written to regulate how and what people can do inside city/county limits. Those laws are based on normal and customary traditions. Well these little homes, both mobile and stick built tiny homes now are challenging those zoning laws just as the condo people did in the past. I applaud these people for trying. My experience with small town building and zoning is not good. They tend to only see the written word. Things are Black or white, that's it! This will be an uphill fight but I hope they prevail.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:41 pm

bobhenry wrote:Caboose was set on the property two weeks ago. So far no nasty stickers pasted on the door and no phone calls. I am installing a gate and a rural mailbox some time this weekend. I still have to find a mower that will get thru the nose high weed patch so I can get the vegetation in check.

Careful what you wish for

It's an oldie but a goodie. Was a man killer but it did a job!

Knocked down

ready for a rider ??

You can even find the driveway now !

Well so much for grooming the property....... Guess who showed up while I was mowing.......

Yep the zoning czar ! I have been " invited" to his office tomorrow to discuss "alternatives" .

During our driveway visit it was suggested I move the caboose elsewhere. I told him I had no elsewhere this was the only property I owned since the sherrif's sale of my Linden house. I did explain it was parked only and was not currently being resided in because that would be in violation of zoning ordinances. Of course I was in violation anyway because I had not asked them prior to placing it on the property. ( They had already told me I had a snowballs chance in hell of getting a exemption or variance ) OH it was suggested I paint it a tan or light green to not stand out as much :?

Well here starts the war. Looks like we will have a lot to talk about in the next week or so.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Good luck Bob....Make sure and mention the new Tiny House show that just started yesterday. Maybe once they see that there is a movement in the country for these they may look a little harder to find a solution.

Yard looks a lot better now. Maybe that will help.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:52 pm

While it would be a pain, if they would give you the variance, if the outside was tan or green, it might be worth it in the end. I once had a whole house repainted because the chosen color was a bit much for the neighbors. Brand new house, too. So it does happen.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels