Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby Gold5one » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Good luck on getting the permanent home- maybe the great spirit wants you to move to different state.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:28 am

The 23 mile move went without incident ! :)

I hope to be in the meadow by Memorial day. I have the rolling homestead all up there but the caboose itself. I intend to place the caboose then the 8 x 20 flatbed as a deck then the glider trailer as the utility wagon tight to the "patio" . This placement offers a glider trailer as a "handrail" while allowing me access to the top solar water heaters and solar air heaters without using a ladder. Just stand on the deck and lean over to service.

I am so like a kid at Christmas. I have tanks and pumps and solar this and that's and battery banks that are awaiting installation. My have my Fresnel lens grey water reduction system and even a big old cast iron bath tub to cook the water off. There are pounds and pounds and hundreds of cubic feet of utilized storage over at the house in the house that will be emptied as soon as the caboose is in place. Heck I am even going to move my house in a house back up vent free gas fireplace to the caboose. My big wood stove I purchased during the 78 oil embargo is still with me and will be placed inside a plenum chamber built on the glider trailer. I have some cleanup to do from the 11 months that the caboose sat on the property. The mice had a great home. So some serious vacuuming and cleanup is in order. It will be getting a deep wine(burgundy) color change and I was able to get all the 3/4 x 1 1/2 batten boards at work Sunday out of the trash stream. These will be added at 2" o/c to cover the flat sheet seams and give the appearance of an old wooden sided caboose. The roof walk boards will be added and the rain water harvesting system will be installed as well while it is awaiting the final hop. YEP! I have a lot to do but I an so looking forward to all the excitement. I will dust off the camera and keep you all in the loop with my improvments. :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lrrowe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:07 am

Bob, i wonder if your state had this law in effect, whether it would help your past case.

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/art ... m?ID=46033
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Bob, I've recently been researching rocket mass stoves, and remote hot water storage for heating my shop next winter, I bet you could rig something up using your pot belly stove to help with generating heated water.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:57 pm

The 275 gallon bulk tank will be installed in the glider trailer. The rain water harvesting will be collected, filtered and directed to the storage tank. The tank will be contained in the hot air plenum with the large wood stove. Winter mode the wood heat will keep the water from freezing. The delivery lines will route inside the 12" hot air delivery ducts from the glider trailer to the caboose. A timed circulation pump will keep the water tank mixed to eliminate stratification. In the summer the heat will be provided by 2 large solar hot water panels. All the stored water will be warm since it will be used predominantly for bathing and dish washing.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:02 am

Well in about 2 hours the final hammer will fall on the crime of the century. "ZONING VIOLATION"

I held a few checks that were sent directly to me and will apply them to the fine today. A PM and personal thanks will go out to those folks to remind them of there oh so long ago donation.

To all the others who tried to help, again, thanks.

The court cut me a deal from 5k to somewhere between 200 and 400 bucks. I will know this morning.

I'll tag on an update a.s.a.p.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

after court update :

$300.00 :x
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:25 pm

Congratulations, Bob. $300 is a lot better than $5,000!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:36 am

I hope it was closer to $200 than $400 on the fine. Sorry things couldn't be worked out. I hope someday cities will take into account that small homes don't have to mean poorly built and that the best interest for their citizens is to allow those who want to live in a small, affordable footprint to do so. I agree with you that not everyone can afford or needs a "standard" sized home. :thumbdown:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:07 pm

Well it just never ends. :x

I got the paperwork from the court clerk today and there is $81.00 added for court costs. In the initial hearing the zoning folks agreed to absorb this cost and all I would have is the fine. So here I go writing the zoning folks to ask them to contact their attorney and remove this charge so I can start paying the fine.

I just love municipal government red tape. :NC
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 08, 2015 7:15 am

Well the big fine was paid yesterday. $300.00 out the window. That's what I get for trying to bully the local government folks. Should have the caboose relocated in time for the memorial day weekend weather permitting.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:08 pm

been a month since the last post :?

Still trying to clear the path to move the caboose.
Spent the weekend cutting low limbs and removing ten trees to get the woods cleared enough to pull in the tiny house.
The big event was planned for this weekend and then the weatherman literally rained on my parade or is about to.
Rain starting wed and continuing thru the weekend will leave the pasture and wood lot far to soft for the move. :x
I originally said it would be in place by Memorial day. It s starting to looks like I will be lucky if it is in by the 4th of July.

I do have some great pictures of the wood lot and pasture where it will be located I will try and get them posted
as soon as I find the transfer cord to my camera :oops:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Here are the pictures promised. Nothing exciting just a lot of green but you get the idea.

The caboose side "baggage door will be framed between these 2 trees
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the back yard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the view from the front window (hitch end of the tiny house)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the view looking backwards while on the observation deck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A small start to my winter wood pile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the entry lane that had to be cleared to get the caboose into the pasture.
You will turn left on the far side of the big oak in the background
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After the left turn this is the view, in about 50 yards you will turn left again
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here we are in the back yard and you see the same 2 trees that will flank the side door
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are some of the bigger limbs and trees that had to be cleared to clear the route.
Will make a great start to this winters wood pile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:31 pm

That looks pretty and very peaceful, Bob. You'll enjoy the springs, summers, and falls there, I expect. ...Probably too much work, clearing snow to it in the winter, though. It's good that you'll still have the "house" inside the barn/storage building for winter times.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:04 am

S. Heisley wrote:That looks pretty and very peaceful, Bob. You'll enjoy the springs, summers, and falls there, I expect. ...Probably too much work, clearing snow to it in the winter, though. It's good that you'll still have the "house" inside the barn/storage building for winter times.

Well I solved the access problem to the property I bought me an H2 Hummer yesterday. That should muck thru the snow with out a problem.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:06 am

Ok I was just yanking your chain a bit. But I did get an H2 Hummer

See the utility shed thread for a bit more info ! :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club