trailer and floor questions

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

trailer and floor questions

Postby TwilaR » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:14 am

Hi folks. I have my Northern Tool 5x8 on order, can't wait until it arrives! As this is my first foray, i have a few questions...

I really wanted to do a foamie, but my build time is limited to February and March and I'm thinking that the glue really needs warmer weather for drying, so my plans evolved to a Conestoga hut on wheels. Light and fast for construction is the plan. This will be for temporary full-time living. The Conestoga hut wall construction is wire fence panels covered with plastic and canvas, so I'm guessing lighter in weight. End walls are framed and insulated.

Is it ok to extend out one foot on each side, to a 7x10? Trying to get as much space as possible, as my dog really likes his lounging space.

Now the floor. If I can extend out past the frame, what would be the best combination of light and strong? Can I do 1x2 frame with insulation, 1/8 ply on bottom and 1/4 ply on top? I'm thinking 1/8 ply on top might not hold up to full-time use.

More questions later, but I need to get to work...
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Re: trailer and floor questions

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:19 pm

TwilaR wrote:.........

Now the floor. If I can extend out past the frame, what would be the best combination of light and strong? Can I do 1x2 frame with insulation, 1/8 ply on bottom and 1/4 ply on top? I'm thinking 1/8 ply on top might not hold up to full-time use.

More questions later, but I need to get to work...

The short answer is yes. What you are building is a torsion box. As such it's important to use enough framing and securely glue that internal framing to the skins. I used 1.5" x 1.5" (ripped dimension lumber) on nominal 16" centers with a 2x4 perimeter and 1/4" skins. I filled the cavities with foam. Add blocking where needed to bolt to your frame. I placed my supports over frame members.

I find the 1/4" ply floor to be adequate. It will flex a bit if I kneel in the center of a cavity but not much.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:43 am

My big concern would be road speed wind load. The wire skeleton offers little in wind bracing. I see it just laying back on its self. I famed the barn as light as possible but did incorporate let in wind bracing to stiffen the skeleton.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:48 am

If you are interested.......viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30307
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TwilaR » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:43 pm

Thanks for the link, Bob. I had already read your thread about the barn build; totally cool!

I do plan on the inside being laid out with that in mind; as much "interior framing" as I can get away with. And it only has to make one trip, but that trip is going to be from Virginia to Missouri.
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels