A lantern assembly tip...worked for me

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

A lantern assembly tip...worked for me

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Once you get your tank all nice and pretty with the new paint. You go to assemble the lantern.

On the 220's and 228's, or on any painted tank, but I could be wrong...the burner goes through the frame that sits on top of the frame rest which is on the tank. Since you have to spin the whole works to get it assembled, sometimes the tank can take a hit or a scratch from the frame rest (collar).

I took a piece of mylar, cut a slot in it and a hole in the center for the top of the tank fitting. I get no scratches on the tank and once the burner is on tight, pull the shield and then tighten down the jamb nut on the frame. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dobyman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Good idea! I am just about to reassemble a 228E and I was wondering how i was going to do it without scratching the fount. Now, if i could just get my brass looking like that........ :thinking:
Last edited by dobyman on Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby planovet » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:50 pm

This guy did the same thing using a coffee can lid. Link

How did you get your frame so shiney?
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Didn't see that one Mark... DOH!!! and here I was thinking I was so smart! I bead blasted the frame and used Ace Hardware heat resistant aluminum on it. In the bottom, you can see it is pretty pitted. It was sitting in water in the container when I got it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby WarPony » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:45 pm

doug hodder wrote:...I bead blasted the frame and used Ace Hardware heat resistant aluminum on it...

Doesn't that paint cover and shine well? The only thing about that stuff is if you get some raw fuel on it.......... it'll kind of goof it up and take the shine off of the bottom of the frame......... :cry:

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:11 pm

You are plenty smart Doug. :thumbsup: You independently thought of it so that is good enough for me. I like the paint job on the frame, it thought it shined up a little too well :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Jeff....I started using the fuel resistant teflon tape when assembling the lanterns. Jeremy got me onto that. Helps cut down on marks on the frame if it's not quite tight enough, works better than the other liquid type sealers in my opinion.

Mark... Once it's used some it'll flatten out from handling. I'm going to do one up and clear coat the tank on it. I'll bet you can shave in the reflection. I'm thinking that clearing the paint might be considered "over restored". I need to pick up a black vent for a 220 and I'll spray the tank the metallic gray like I used on the Rocketear. I've got some leftover paint that needs to be sprayed on something, and I just rebuilt my detail gun this weekend. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:56 pm

dobyman wrote:Now, if i could just get my brass looking like that........ :thinking:

Soak all your brass pieces in vinegar and rub down with a brillo-pad. It shines up evertime! Just like new. 8)
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby dobyman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:00 pm

PresTx82 wrote:
dobyman wrote:Now, if i could just get my brass looking like that........ :thinking:

Soak all your brass pieces in vinegar and rub down with a brillo-pad. It shines up evertime! Just like new. 8)

Thanks Mark, I got them soaking now!! Seems like I learn something new on this forum everyday! Love it! :thumbsup:
Steve
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment