Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Micro469 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:26 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:This is what the heat drum looks like for the single burner Sportsman stove.:D Danny
for sale on ebay

Danny.. Anything in the heat drum, or is it just a piece of pipe with a top??? :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 pm

All right, Doug, here is a picture of my 1975 Coleman Military Lantern with storage compartment for tools and extra mantles. :thumbsup:

George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:44 pm

And here is the photo of a medic's military medical box I picked up at the Rose Bowl Swap Meet for $10.00. I am going to use it for my misc. camping and Dutch Oven tools.

George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby doug hodder » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:34 am

Nice Military stuff George. It'll look great with the Jeep and the CampInn! Did you fire up the lamp last weekend camping? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby FireLion » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 pm

First I joined this forum because I wanted to find out about teardrop trailers, decided that I liked them and bought one. After being here for a few more months I discovered cast iron, and got that bug. Now ya'll got me into Coleman (I have a 425E stove and a 295-700T lantern) and white gas stoves and lanterns. Thanks a lot guys for coming up with ways to seperate me from my money! :lol:

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of how to get to the point of camping with no shore power or batteries. :thinking: Does anyone else do this? I do like the comforting glow and the smell of Coleman fuel as it burns. I also have an old Dietz kerosene railroad lantern. One problem that I forsee is camping in cooler weather. What would I use to heat the inside of my tear if I couldn't plug in my electric heater? I used to tent camp a lot and all I can remember is about 40 lbs of sleeping bags and blankets. And always a campfire. I'm gettin older but I learn something here every day. Thanks. :thumbsup:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:49 pm

[/quote]Image[/quote]
They use to sell a metal covering for that one for a heater. It would clamp on and I think it had a bail handle too. We use to use mine in my brothers very drafty 56 Chevy pick up. It would get real hot at times. The things we did when we were younger :roll: . Danny[/quote]

I got a metal container it comes in (no heater) which turns into a pot and pan with the handle you see in the picture. It's great as extra cooking stuff.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Mark72 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:36 pm

I was just looking at some of my dad's old Coleman stuff that is just collecting dust. I discovered one of the lanterns is a 228e with a large "hat rim" and a vent chimney with all the little round holes. This lantern dose not have the Coleman insignia on the bottom like all the others it only has an 8 followed by 56 about an inch apart. However it has a red Coleman logo on the side of the tank that all the others do not. Dose that mean it was produced in Aug. of 1956? It is in very nice condition compared to most I have seen that have not been restored. I may have to strike a deal with him for that one!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby PresTx82 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 pm

That would be the date on the bottom.

Here’s a link to Classic Camp Stoves. They have old vintage stuff and anything you want to know about stoves. I discovered it when I was trying to get my stove operational and they helped me out

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php

Here’s a good link in rebuilding a stove:

http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/tech/re_2lant_b.htm

And of course the Coleman Collector’s Club:

http://www.colemancollectorsclub.com/
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:04 am

Mark72...nice lantern your dad has. Think he'll part with it? You can get new decals for the fount (tank) if needed and other parts are pretty easily available. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Micro469 wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:This is what the heat drum looks like for the single burner Sportsman stove.:D Danny
for sale on ebay

Danny.. Anything in the heat drum, or is it just a piece of pipe with a top??? :thinking:

That's all it is. Very simple but works great if you stay close to it. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:58 pm

Hey guys and gals, check this out. I've got a lady that is a customer and a wonderful generous friend. She was talking to her husband about my trailers, they camped in tears many years ago. She mentioned to him that I am gathering up Coleman lanterns and stoves. He went out to the storage shed and dug this one up, gave it to Pat and told her to give it to me. Her father built the box for it, Sept. 1960 228E with book, wrenches and extra mantles. Shown like I got it right out of the box. I'll have to come up with an extra nice Christmas gift for them this year. An incredibly nice gesture! Doug

Last edited by doug hodder on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dhazard » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:06 pm

Doug if you light all of your White Gas Coleman gear you will be responsible for some very serious Global Warming. :lol:
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby satch » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Man, It's nice to have friends like that!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:04 am

Very cool Doug. Those mantels may be more collectible than the the lantern. They look pretty old.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:20 am

FireLion wrote: After being here for a few more months I discovered cast iron, and got that bug. Now ya'll got me into Coleman (I have a 425E stove and a 295-700T lantern) and white gas stoves and lanterns. Thanks a lot guys for coming up with ways to seperate me from my money! :lol:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

No need to thank us FireLion....that's what we are all here for!!! Hey, it's all good, and look at it this way....it's emergency equipment for when the power goes out! And if you catch any heat on it...."just thinking about taking care of you honey!" ;) Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment