Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:04 am

robert johnson wrote:Well TOW members we need to have a Coleman "light up" at our gatherings this summer. Who needs a campfire if there's enough lanterns.

......Bob

With dancing and some great music, I love the idea, Now I have to just get to a TOW gathering

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:10 am

Hey John!!!!........got lantern? :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:27 am

Anybody looking for an iron??? Not mine. Coleman iron
Last edited by Nitetimes on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:28 am

doug hodder wrote:
Danny, once you spend some time with it, you'll figure out what it takes to get it running....
Doug

Doug, it's been decades since I had a gas Coleman lantern but it'll come to me once I play with it.

rainjer wrote: Be very careful buffing the lantern. It is very easy to burn thru the nickel plating. I did it in one spot buffing by hand.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy for the tip. I'll mount the buffing wheel on my variable speed lathe. I can make it crawl if need be. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:10 am

halfdome, Danny wrote: The filler cap is brass. The large outer part of the top is perfect and it's dinged in 3 areas in the center of the top and one chip in the vent holes. Looks like it may have had some touch up paint to the dings. Danny

Danny, it looks like it has a later fuel filler cap without the side vent...a safer cap, my 242's with the nickel founts have a brass cap also. Any touch up paint on the ventilator will probably cook off. I checked temps...and they run nearly 500F on the very top. It may not have had a hit. At times, the porcelainized portions can pop the coating off through heat and cooling cycles at least that's what I've read on the lantern forum. A hit on an edge may not show till it's gone through a heat/cool cycle though. It's still a beauty at nearly 60 years old!

Nice iron Rich! Can you imagine anyone using one of those things? It would be interesting to find out how many homes may have burnt down due to someone leaving the iron "on"....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:41 am

doug hodder wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote: The filler cap is brass. The large outer part of the top is perfect and it's dinged in 3 areas in the center of the top and one chip in the vent holes. Looks like it may have had some touch up paint to the dings. Danny

Danny, it looks like it has a later fuel filler cap without the side vent...a safer cap, my 242's with the nickel founts have a brass cap also. Any touch up paint on the ventilator will probably cook off. I checked temps...and they run nearly 500F on the very top. It may not have had a hit. At times, the porcelainized portions can pop the coating off through heat and cooling cycles at least that's what I've read on the lantern forum. A hit on an edge may not show till it's gone through a heat/cool cycle though. It's still a beauty at nearly 60 years old!

Nice iron Rich! Can you imagine anyone using one of those things? It would be interesting to find out how many homes may have burnt down due to someone leaving the iron "on"....Doug

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few, it might be the only thing that survived. 8)

Then there's this old Salamander that someone has. These things are great in an open building.

A little more than I think I'd pay for these Lantern and catalytic heater Look to be in good shape tho.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:57 am

Rich...never used one like that, but used plenty of the oil field "sally's" filled with diesel....for grins, throw in a cup of gasoline...they really take off, had an old driller (Stan Starner) on a project that used to flop bologna to the stack and scape it off onto Wonder bread for lunch...wonder if he is still alive? Any one else got some pics of their vintage camp gear....I know someone must! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:46 am

doug hodder wrote:Rich...never used one like that, but used plenty of the oil field "sally's" filled with diesel....for grins, throw in a cup of gasoline...they really take off, had an old driller (Stan Starner) on a project that used to flop bologna to the stack and scape it off onto Wonder bread for lunch...wonder if he is still alive? Any one else got some pics of their vintage camp gear....I know someone must! Doug

I coulda guessed you'd know what I was talkin' about when I called it a salamander :lol: I've never used one of those Colemans either (that I know of), don't recall ever seeing one but I could have. Who made it was never as important as whether or not it was making heat!!!! I don't think I'd give 75 bucks for that one anyway. I'd be surprised if the fire pot wasn't either burned or rotted out of it. They had a nasty habit of getting set out in the weather after a job was done until someone got around to coming to pick them up.
I've seen guys cook on them to, never seemed like the best idea to me. :thinking:

I'll have to get some pics of the stove I got off you and my lanterns and see if I can dig out my Oscars. I just saw one of them on Ebay for over 20 bucks, that's more than I paid for mine new!!! :lol:

BTW- The wind chill tonight is 9*. :o Little chilly for this time of year. Must be that global warming acting up again!! 8) :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:35 am

didn't somebody do a scatch of a coleman teardrop? I think it was Jeremy up in Washington, did he ever build it?

John

and Doug, I'll have to go visit my Mom and get an old Coleman Lantern, she must have 1/2 dz down there on the farm

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:52 am

didn't somebody do a scatch of a coleman teardrop? I think it was Jeremy up in Washington, did he ever build it?

Guilty as charged. :oops:

No, I didn't build it. I most likely will not. I was just messing around at work one day.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Mark72 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:25 am

How about posting that for those that haven't seen it!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:33 am

Mark72 wrote:How about posting that for those that haven't seen it!

Mark

Here is the thread:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=23454

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby apratt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:40 am

I have several Coleman products and one of them is the Coleman catalytic heater. I bought it in a garage sale, it was in good shape, I think I paid 50 cents for it. It really worked good. only one problem is that you can't regulate the heat, it gets hot in a small room.
I'll have to see if I can round them all up for a picture, when I feel good, but don't hold your breath. :D
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:06 pm

I finally painted the Handy Chef....(1924 Prentiss Waber), still need to wait till the paint really cures before I bend the tabs back on the top. After looking at Roberts pictures of his, I decided that a more "mellow" color might be in keeping with the look of it rather than the other colors I had considered. It's done in a sage green. Here's the before....

And the after.... Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mark72 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:16 pm

Man did that turn out nice or what! Good job Doug!

Mark :thumbsup:
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment