Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:26 pm

Ohhh wow. I just found this forum. Lamps and more Lamps :twisted:

Check it out especially the folks on this side of the Atlantic.

(Glider that includes you). I found some fellow Swedes and Finns on this Forum.

http://www.be-back-later.com/forums/

All kinds of lamp beauties there.

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Doug look what your info found me. Its not Coleman again but Im a happy camper. right in my own back yard. The photo is of a Finnish Made Lantern.
Homelux 300.

Website in Finland. http://www.elisanet.fi/lightbringer/photos.html

Check it out:

Finnish lanterns aren't that known, infact we didnt know of any for a long time, but there has been at least two manufacturers of lanterns here also. Here is a Homelux 300 lantern that we now have in working condition. The burner and vapourizer parts are identical to Tilley X246. The lantern is as a combination of a Tilley and a Vapalux and was made only about 1000 pcs sometimes in the 50´s. The factory that made these was called "Metalli-Koura

And a Finnish Made Valmet 300b.

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:17 pm

There's a lot of Euro stuff on this site...I'm not a member on this one so don't know what it really has to offer....

Congrats on your finds Heikki!!!! and you were bummed cuz there weren't any lanterns. Doug

:R :lol:

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 pm

doug hodder wrote:There's a lot of Euro stuff on this site...I'm not a member on this one so don't know what it really has to offer....

Congrats on your finds Heikki!!!! and you were bummed cuz there weren't any lanterns. Doug

:R :lol:

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php

The thing is I never even imagined that here in Finland they had made these Lanterns. Or any Lantern for that matter. Im tickled.

Them Finnish Made Lanterns look quite nice too.
:thumbsup:

Learn new things everyday even at this age. Interesting as well. :applause:

Thank You Doug.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:42 pm

Has anyone cleaned the tanks of their lanterns with Neodymium Magnets?

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:46 pm

I have read about a guy that used a washer and a magnet out of a magnet out of a computer hard drive. He said it worked.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Well, I had 7 of them running...but had a leaky packing on one valve, so thought it best not to light it up again....This group is 1937- 1959, boy do they put out the heat when you have that many running! Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby satch » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:32 pm

doug hodder wrote:Well, I had 7 of them running...but had a leaky packing on one valve, so thought it best not to light it up again....This group is 1937- 1959, boy do they put out the heat when you have that many running! Doug

Dude, you could use them for x-mas decorations!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:34 pm

doug hodder wrote:Well, I had 7 of them running...but had a leaky packing on one valve, so thought it best not to light it up again....This group is 1937- 1959, boy do they put out the heat when you have that many running! Doug

How many are there???? I don't see the light green one painted to match the last build???? Holy cow...your going to have to get with Obama and buy some carbon credits if you light up again!!!!

On a technical note...is it "bad" to have a couple lanterns filled and ready to go for when the lights go out? I was thinking about putting a shelf in the house, filling a couple lanterns, and having them available and ready to go. We had snow this week (not uncommon) that shut down the lights for about 4 hours. I've always drained my white gas lanterns for extended storage..and I have no idea why...except it seemed like the right thing to do.

BTW...COOL Doug! :thumbsup: :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Dave....I see no problem in having a couple fueled up and ready as long as they are good functioning lanterns. I leave fuel in mine all the time but do burn it off regularly. The one that I've been taking in the tear has fuel in it all winter. It's not uncommon for me to lose power for up to 2+ days at a time up here with the heavy snows. I've always got at least one fueled and ready to go, same with a stove. The 2 tone one is just off the right in the pic. I found it needs a new valve seat and pump to go with it. The 2 rusty ones I got won't fire up and run correctly. Both tanks had a lot of crud in them. I'm thinking that's a problem. All the others just fired up and ran perfectly. I'll play with those 2 this weekend. Still missing a key check valve on the really old Coleman. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:00 am

I drained all of mine except the one I left in the teardrop last winter. I didn't have any issues with that lantern. I would say as long as you use it and refill it once or twice a year you would be ok. I have also hear of people putting a little sta-bil in the gas if they are going to store them. I have not tried it so I can not say it work. The bigger concern with the steel tank lantern is moisture and rust.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby John Boeckstiegel » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:07 am

I kinda went through the post rapidly. I have 2 of the kerosine old colemans. I found them at flea makets and garage sales here in Florida. They are alittle hard to start but the fuel lasts longer. They are both silver, Maybe I can dig and look for numbers..... Nice topic..... by the way I have 13 lanterns in all.
John Boeckstiegel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:13 am

Hey John, welcome to the forum! We all thrive on pics here, so don't hesitate to put any up, especially if you have 13 lanterns. Funny thing is, if someone has a couple, they usually have a load! Please post some pics for all of us to enjoy....Doug :thumbsup:

PS...Stoves are also good as well as blow torches. I've got one, but can't find it right now. It's perfect for starting charcoal briquettes for the DO!...got some?
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:18 am

I finally have finished my my 1965 Sear-Coleman lantern and it's storage box. I received my decals I ordered yesterday and applied them last night. I also ordered and received the correct replacement decal for my 1955 202 professional.

The 202 and it's cousin the Sears.

Sears & box.

I lined the lower part of the box with felt.

Jeremy
Last edited by rainjer on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby John Boeckstiegel » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:19 am

Doug,
I just went into the closet I have them. What a job it would be to get them out. Maybe I can get a shot of them sitting where they are. Yes I have 4 or 5 stoves and a couple heaters too. I use to live in St Louis so I still have a habit. I have not posted any pics yet but I think with the help of the pic post forum I will be alright.
John
John Boeckstiegel
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment