A freebie....has a new owner!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

A freebie....has a new owner!

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Picked up a 220E with the Coleman steel carrying case today for free. One of my employees husband was cleaning out an old house and it was in the pile of stuff to go to the dump. The case had about 2 inches of water in it and the frame on the lantern is really rusted. Should clean up however. By the amount of soot on the globe, I'm thinking that someone screwed up on it and decided that it didn't work any more. Doesn't smell like Coleman fuel in it, more like kero. Vent is straight, but has a number of chips on it. If I get it done in time...a raffle gift for the Dam Gathering. Doug

Last edited by doug hodder on Fri May 08, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Looks like she was burnin' a little rich. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Re: A freebie....

Postby Micro469 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:22 pm

doug hodder wrote:Picked up a 220E with the Coleman steel carrying case today for free. One of my employees husband was cleaning out an old house and it was in the pile of stuff to go to the dump. The case had about 2 inches of water in it and the frame on the lantern is really rusted. Should clean up however. By the amount of soot on the globe, I'm thinking that someone screwed up on it and decided that it didn't work any more. Doesn't smell like Coleman fuel in it, more like kero. Vent is straight, but has a number of chips on it. If I get it done in time...a raffle gift for the Dam Gathering. Doug

Looks like your a contender for the messiest workshop........... :lol: 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hotrod » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Micro469 wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Picked up a 220E with the Coleman steel carrying case today for free. One of my employees husband was cleaning out an old house and it was in the pile of stuff to go to the dump. The case had about 2 inches of water in it and the frame on the lantern is really rusted. Should clean up however. By the amount of soot on the globe, I'm thinking that someone screwed up on it and decided that it didn't work any more. Doesn't smell like Coleman fuel in it, more like kero. Vent is straight, but has a number of chips on it. If I get it done in time...a raffle gift for the Dam Gathering. Doug

lololol Im glad I got mine cleaned up. I was haing a hard time walking. good now tho.. :thumbsup:
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby sunny16 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Maybe it was used as a vintage "black light"! Ha, ha! I couldn't resist. :lol:

I will have to watch yard sales around here for vintage Coleman stuff.
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Micro469 wrote:

Whadda ya mean??? That's the living room....don't you see the wood furnace?? 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 pm

Micro469 wrote:Looks like your a contender for the messiest workshop........... :lol: 8)

Why do you think I sponsored it for 3 years?....I've never professed to have a tidy one...scares people away also! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mark72 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:34 pm

That looks kinda like my shop. I a thief ever broke in they would probably say Holy s__t we can't find anything to steal in this mess! :lol:
That lantern is gonna make someone a nice Piece!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby BobR » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Doug...looks like a great project for you. I am sure that it will be a collectors item when you are done. I was looking at the pictures from the glyths gathering and thought I saw one of those new fangled dual fuel stoves in your tear...shame on you :lol:
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:23 am

Yup...all my tears get a new 424 in it. I'll cook whatever I want on them and it's no great loss if I scorch one or mess it up. I also drill the box and mount them. I sort of think of the new ones as disposables. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TLC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:54 am

doug hodder wrote:Yup...all my tears get a new 424 in it. I'll cook whatever I want on them and it's no great loss if I scorch one or mess it up. I also drill the box and mount them. I sort of think of the new ones as disposables. Doug

Doug:
That's what the people back in the 60's used to say about the one's they were buying then. Someone 40 years from now is going to find yours and wonder why someone would drill holes in it. LOL
Tom
PS I will be watching this thread and checking your progress on the lantern. I'm sure you'll do your magic on it.
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:23 pm

TLC wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Yup...all my tears get a new 424 in it. I'll cook whatever I want on them and it's no great loss if I scorch one or mess it up. I also drill the box and mount them. I sort of think of the new ones as disposables. Doug

Doug:
That's what the people back in the 60's used to say about the one's they were buying then. Someone 40 years from now is going to find yours and wonder why someone would drill holes in it. LOL
Tom
PS I will be watching this thread and checking your progress on the lantern. I'm sure you'll do your magic on it.

Nah, it'll still be screwed to the drawer in it's respective trailer. 8) ;)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Got the frame, the fount and some other parts bead blasted this morning. Everything is all painted up and curing, parts are polished. Ready to go back together. The frame had some serious rust on it, pitted up pretty good. It's nearly 40 years old though and I'm giving it away so I'm hoping it has plenty of life left in it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:02 am

My dad has one that looks just like that except it is red with a red case. I suppose if I took it from his garage, it would be free too.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:15 am

asianflava wrote:My dad has one that looks just like that except it is red with a red case. I suppose if I took it from his garage, it would be free too.

I've never seen a red 220. :thinking:

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment