Yard sale find today.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Yard sale find today.

Postby MidTNJasonF » Sat May 30, 2009 8:09 pm

I do not have a Tear or TTT yet but now I have a stove for it. I swear this site is a horrible influence. I have a history with Coleman since I was born in Wichita Kansas and my Father worked for the factory there in the 70's. I was pretty much instantly drawn to finding older Coleman gear when I found this site and the Vintage Camping Equipment section.

I bought a 426D today. While it is certainly bigger than I was originally looking for I could not let it sit on that yard sale table unloved. I could just see it thrown back in the corner of a garage at the end of the sale where it would continue to rust. Besides for $10 how could I go wrong.

It is certainly not in the best of shape so I have a restore ahead of me. I am looking for tips on disassembly and restoration. Also I would be interested in finding a date of manufacture on it if anyone has any tips.

MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Nice find! All it needs is a little love, a bit of paint, and some fresh fuel. :thumbsup: Of course we want to see photos after you have it cleaned up.

Now that you have the stove, all you have to do is build your trailer around it. :)

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

stove

Postby doitright » Sat May 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Looks great to me all it needs is use. I love my stuff to show its age. Hell I do for sure. It is a great find. Keep it up and soon you will have a garage full and watch out do not look at the cast iron section of this site soon you will have a kitchen full of iron.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby hotrod » Sat May 30, 2009 11:02 pm

nice find!! Im going flea marketing weather permitting tommorow...
I would love to find a 3 burner like that...
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Re: stove

Postby MidTNJasonF » Sat May 30, 2009 11:34 pm

doitright wrote: Keep it up and soon you will have a garage full and watch out do not look at the cast iron section of this site soon you will have a kitchen full of iron.

Oh my family already took care of that. I have already had to place my name in the running for all the family treasures. Every time I travel home to visit my parents I try to figure out a way to sneak the Griswold waffle iron into my luggage on departure day without them seeing. Between the cast iron and the old pickling crocks I am going to need more storage in the pantry and kitchen.

The stove has some rust issues and some minor hardware issues. While I could just fix the needed items I have found it is sometimes easier just to take something completely apart and clean or refinish it one assembly at a time.
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby dmb90260 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:13 am

hotrod wrote:nice find!! Im going flea marketing weather permitting tommorow...

Coleman 426D499
Same stove, not ridden as hard, available in Nor Cal but shipping might be an issue. :o
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Sun May 31, 2009 10:03 am

dmb90260 wrote:
hotrod wrote:nice find!! Im going flea marketing weather permitting tommorow...

Coleman 426D499
Same stove, not ridden as hard, available in Nor Cal but shipping might be an issue. :o

thanks! theres gotta be 4000 of these things for sale here someplace, Ill score a flea market or rummage sale one cheap.. no hurry! lolol
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby dmb90260 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:57 am

hotrod wrote:thanks! theres gotta be 4000 of these things for sale here someplace, Ill score a flea market or rummage sale one cheap.. no hurry! lolol

But will they have the provenance I can provide with this one? Back in the 60's when our families were starting, money was tight and he worked full time and college in between, my brother spotted this at one of the drug stores that only offered seasonal camping gear. He watched it all summer and well into the fall as it did not sell and got marked down and down. Finally the price was right and he had the $17 in hand and he got it. It was used for a few years and then stowed in his garage for the next 30 yrs.

It can now be had for about what he paid for it, it needs a good home. :lol:
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Sun May 31, 2009 2:38 pm

dmb90260 wrote:
hotrod wrote:thanks! theres gotta be 4000 of these things for sale here someplace, Ill score a flea market or rummage sale one cheap.. no hurry! lolol

But will they have the provenance I can provide with this one? Back in the 60's when our families were starting, money was tight and he worked full time and college in between, my brother spotted this at one of the drug stores that only offered seasonal camping gear. He watched it all summer and well into the fall as it did not sell and got marked down and down. Finally the price was right and he had the $17 in hand and he got it. It was used for a few years and then stowed in his garage for the next 30 yrs.

It can now be had for about what he paid for it, it needs a good home. :lol:

wow,! how could you part with it? it would tear me up to have to part ways with the family camping gear.. The price is definately right too...
how much to ship it to 56552??
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby doug hodder » Sun May 31, 2009 7:58 pm

Just for grins, look under the hanging tabs on the fuel tank and see if there is a month and year stamped on them. A 426D would be 1965. I can't remember the exact years that they started that practice, but you can find dates there. Nice stove...now give it a good home and that means using it! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PresTx82 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:46 pm

What's the pan looking thing in the second picture under the cooking grate? Never seen something like that!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun May 31, 2009 11:24 pm

I think that's the griddle thing that he has the instructions posted of sitting on the stove grate. :thinking: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PresTx82 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:32 pm

When in doubt read the directions, right? :lol:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 am

PresTx82 wrote:When in doubt read the directions, right? :lol:

Doug is right, that is the griddle that came with it. It is even in the remains of the original box too. That might raise the price 25c. I have a stove in my trailer or I would be using that stove.

Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

um, how much was that

Postby Laredo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:00 pm

price again?

The griddle gives you an option you can't find nowadays except via separate machine. :cry:
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment