I am in the canvas tent club!!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

I am in the canvas tent club!!!

Postby rainjer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:21 pm

I went to a family BBQ today and came home with this. It belonged to my uncle's neighbor's dad. It has been stored for over 30 years. He had a 228E lantern a 425B stove also but my uncle took them.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Re: I am in the canvas tent club!!!

Postby High Desert » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Nice bit of canvas Jeremy! That's from a time when they built 'em to last. Looks like it's in nice shape.

With that branding its also a good reason for a new sub group in the gas appliance collection 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Maureenm » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 am

Nice! that's what we had when I was a kid. My dads best swearing revealed itself when he was trying to put it up. :roll:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:21 am

Nice bag of canvas Jeremy! I have a blue/orange sears 2 man canvas one that I bought new in '67. I stared at the catalog for weeks before I finally got it. So is that your "changing/ portapotty" tent? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby morrisw.conklin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am

Anybody besides myself that loves the good smell of canvas tents? Takes me back to childhood backyard camping!
If That's a Teardrop, Then Cry Me a River
morrisw.conklin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 am

wells c. wrote:Anybody besides myself that loves the good smell of canvas tents? Takes me back to childhood backyard camping!

I remember that canvas smell quite well, disgusting to sleep in.
It would mess with my allergies while camping in Borrego.
Now someone will be pulling out a cotton sleeping bag to complete the memory, achoo, achoo, achoo.
I'm thankful they don't use those materials any more. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Lazybones » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 am

Nice tent Jeremy! :thumbsup: A JC Higgins none the less!
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby logman7777 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Loved my Canvas JC Higgins but HATED to set the bugger up (It was a 10 x 16 cabin give or take a foot). Still have a few BSA tents around just in case I REALLY want to rough it.
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:31 am

That tent will be perfect for when you have guests that want to spend the night. " Step right out here and let me show you my new tent, go on in. " :lol:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby logman7777 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Would is the operative word..That went about the same time my 200A did on eBay to pay my mortgage.. :(
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:19 pm

We finally got some good weather so I set the tent back up and cleaned it. I used a mix of Oxyclean and laundry soap ans a stiff brush. It did not take any of the mold discoloration out but it smells 10x better. I am going to put it in a large garbage can and soak it in Oxyclean over night tonight and set it back up to dry tomorrow. It look like I will be using it for my IRG trip.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby DragonFire » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it at the IRG!

We had a canvas tent when we camped as kids in the very late 60's and 70's. I'm not sure much else existed until the (then) very expensive nylon backpacker tents were invented.

In scouts we had the same...canvas. Everyone did for the longest time. Now you don't see them..but I think they are really cool looking tents. I'm guessing there is a way to seal them so they don't leak much when it rains (I remember my dad talking about sealing the tent and the seams..) but I don't remember what you are supposed to do..or what they did back then.

I'm looking forward to the IRG..I have a scooter rally (camping) the week before. I'm not taking anything nice there so it doesn't walk away. IRG will get all the lanterns..thinking this might be the event where everyone gets out their really cool camping gear..like your vintage tent!
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby logman7777 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:59 am

DragonFire wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing it at the IRG!

We had a canvas tent when we camped as kids in the very late 60's and 70's. I'm not sure much else existed until the (then) very expensive nylon backpacker tents were invented.

In scouts we had the same...canvas. Everyone did for the longest time. Now you don't see them..but I think they are really cool looking tents. I'm guessing there is a way to seal them so they don't leak much when it rains (I remember my dad talking about sealing the tent and the seams..) but I don't remember what you are supposed to do..or what they did back then.

I'm looking forward to the IRG..I have a scooter rally (camping) the week before. I'm not taking anything nice there so it doesn't walk away. IRG will get all the lanterns..thinking this might be the event where everyone gets out their really cool camping gear..like your vintage tent!

They still make seam sealer and it can be found in any camping store. Or if you want to get old school you can use mink oil or beeswax on the seams. Ive even heard some oldtimers using a candle and dripping parrafin onto the seams but wouldnt recommend it.
Green Lantern Corpsmen
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby Campingnewbie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:23 pm

I too have recently "inherited" this exact model of canvas tent! I have been trying to get information about it, but with no luck. I just wanted to know if I had all the hardware for it...and from looking at this one put together, I seem to have everything! I even have the original poles that hold the awning up! Now, if i could just get an estimate on it I can sell it! Any offers?
Campingnewbie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Can you post pictures of you poles? or email them to me? [email protected]. I am not sure if all of my poles are original.

As far as pricing it good luck. Condition is everything. If you eBay it shipping is a killer. If you Craig's List it you get a bunch of tire kicking lowballers... I will off you the same as what I paid for mine.... FREE.... :twisted:

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment