Coleman Catalytic heater. Dumb question.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Coleman Catalytic heater. Dumb question.

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:24 pm

So I have been pondering this question for a couple of years now, and with the exception of I needed it desprately to work during our February ice storm and week long power outage just to keep my family from freezing to death, but here's the deal...

I have currently 4 old liquid fuel Coleman Catalytic heaters that I have picked up at various times for anywhere from way too much to free...

Oddly enough it is the one I spent way too much on that doesn't work well but I digress...

These were manufactured when gasoline was regular and high test, leaded. And it is a well known fact that tetraethyl lead would poison and clog the catalyst.

I have seen some posts on an ice fishing forum somewhere saying that they use these with unleaded gasoline. Of course there are a LOT of different grades, and I was wondering...

Has anyone here succesfully used these with unleaded gasoline, and if so, what variety, and with what level of success?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Re: Coleman Catalytic heater. Dumb question.

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:40 pm

I think I just answered my own question. And mind you, it is blazingly hot here right now so I don't NEED the catalytic heaters working on cheaper fuel, but...

Looking through expedition portal, Coleman Collectors Forum, and trapperman.com forums it looks like yes, regular unleaded is fine in these heaters, although there is some concern for build up of the additives / detergents for the wick, I understand a good run through of denatured alcohol will cure that, and honestly, the picky unit needs denatured alcohol.

Something to consider.

Each Coleman Catalytic heater would run approximately 24 hours on a tank of white gas. Depending on the model that is 1/2 gallon. Not terrible, but if I am road tripping and want to hot tent it, and no I am not worried about carbon monoxide. I have a battery powered carbon monoxide detector and will be using a tent that has uncloseable vents that far exceed the recommended ventilation, and to top it off, I tend to leave a window slightly gapped when using a heater, if for no other reason than to keep the tent from getting too hot...

Anyway I am rambling. The point being, white gas, is currently available near me as either Coleman fuel at about $13.00 / gal, or Crown Camp Fuel at about $9.00 / gal. Current prices on ethanol free regular unleaded is $2.54, and I will be carrying 5 gallons with me to fuel stove, lanterns, and in this case, heater...

I am going to have to sit on this idea until the late fall just to test it out.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment