Camper Boat or Boat Camper?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Camper Boat or Boat Camper?

Postby popper » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:36 pm

I just found out these exist. A thing which has a main intended use as terrestrial camper which also performs a secondary duty as a boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCSMZEk2m_k

My question.. What about using a thing intended for use as a boat for terrestrial camping? Does anybody do this? Why not? Could I not show up to a camp ground with short boat on a my trailer and just camp in it?
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Camper Boat or Boat Camper?

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 pm

I think that depends on the boat. I think a pontoon boat might work? It has flat area to put stuff on?
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby greygoos » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 am

Here is one built by one of our members viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46755
Attachments
carwhale.jpeg
carwhale.jpeg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:55 am

I know sailors with trailerable boats up to 30' that sleep in them while traveling on land.

The original land yachts.

Self-sufficient for liveaboard cruising far from civilisation, in effect designed for off grid boondocking

so they would not be caught dead paying for a powered campsite even if they weren't cheap bastards.

And the feeling is likely mutual 8-)
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby popper » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Carawhale is one of my favorite designs. I would try it if I were more experienced at building. Maybe a little bigger.

The current prices of travel trailers is so outrageous, its got me thinking about this. Really. Buy affordable broken boat with no intention of fixing broken boaty bits. IE broken propulsion system, not broken house part. Use as terrestrial camper. I guess what I should be asking, since I have never camped I have no idea what restrictions you would have at camp spots. Guessing you could not go to all the 'normal' spots that big travel trailers and big RV's go to?
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:01 am

Yes USA RV parks can get very snobby, fussy about what they allow, can even have rules like "no units over five years old" no matter how conventional and pretty.

Of course in areas with lots of spaces available, you just negotiate with lower standard sites.

But each gatekeeper can be unique, so hard to generalize, need to call around and ask.

But personally I prefer boondocking,
not interacting at all with so many people, not to mention plenty of sites cost more per night than I would want to pay for a motel room
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:28 pm

folding boat camper? Mini Camper Cruiser? :thinking:
https://www.boatbible.com/mini-camper-cruiser/
8)
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:25 pm

Nice concept, but I'd want to be able to live out on the water
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby popper » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:10 am

Goofie, would love to try a 6x12 version of that.. a popper topper camper than can cruise a knot or three on flat water. Thank you for sharing the link. Will discuss this one with the foreman tonight. Don't necessarily think a fold down rear area. Maybe a pivoting rising popper be more the way since another 4' would already be back there.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:43 am

greygoos wrote:Here is one built by one of our members viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46755

I wonder if one could 'super size' the plans? make it a little bit (or a lot bit) bigger? (just thinking out loud). :thinking:
https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/13/designs/carawhale/index.htm
:thinking:
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

tiny trailerable houseboat?

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 am

I came across this while searching for 'tiny trailerable houseboat'. Perhaps something one could build and tow and use to sleep in while on trailer or on water? (just thinking out loud).
https://tinyhousetalk.com/micro-houseboat-you-can-build/
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:52 pm

love it!

8.5' is the max not requiring a special permit in most states

Make it to fit in a 20' conex and you could ship it, live on Lake Titicaca or the Norwegian fjords, those crinkly bits are my favourite.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby popper » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Most excellent.. I also love this. I am imagining this design in a smaller foam PMF build light enough to be towed with a 30mpg car.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Re: tiny trailerable houseboat?

Postby Vnose » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:29 am

BigGoofyGuy wrote:I came across this while searching for 'tiny trailerable houseboat'. Perhaps something one could build and tow and use to sleep in while on trailer or on water? (just thinking out loud).
https://tinyhousetalk.com/micro-houseboat-you-can-build/

That is a Phil Bolger design, a sharpie, he has several designs that can make a good camper or liveaboard.
You'll find several here:

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/pla ... bolger.htm

Your comment further up about using a pontoon boat makes life much simpler than building a wood boat, unless you love building wood boats.

I have a Landau pontoon that I'll be rigging for camping. Whereas I would prefer a hard top roof you can walk on, I'm going to settle for a lighter top as weight is a serious factor with pontoons. If someone is serious about a boat camper I'd suggest a tri toon to carry more weight. While you can add a center pontoon, I wouldn't have the center slide out gangplank or ramp which I need for beaching and for my boxer to get aboard.

Earlier this summer I visited a friend at a local lake area campground. His class A was parked next to a guy who hand an 18' Jon Boat modified for camping. He built a wood deck over the seats, foam and ply walls and a flat roof, the whole camper area was 10' long. Honestly, it looked hicky, but it worked for he and his wife.
Vnose
Teardrop Builder

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:43 pm

Build Your Own Pontoon Houseboat?
https://tinyhousefor.us/house-boats/diy-pontoon-house/
if one could put it on a trailer, it is a camper? or could be one?
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs