2 Horse Power

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

2 Horse Power

Postby Toplessartist » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:54 pm

Yeah, I'm talking' horse trailer conversion! It was so damned much fun to do because there was no way you could accidentally damage anything during the first phase because it's a solid metal box! Cutting and grinding and welding and more grinding... then the fun part where the internal construction could be as heavy as necessary. Remember this thing was designed to carry two big horses and not warp when full. So, for $800 I took this baby off the local farm from a lady who saw no value in the thing.

I won't go into too much detail on the hollowing out suffice to say that I replaced the heavy duty floor boards, added wall panels (ply) and started in like a carpenter with a time limit.

The front area became a seating for one with storage and a shelf off to one side. Above the seating area I put a 10 gal water tank and ran a line for gravity feed to the sink on the other side and a fill tube that reaches out the front hatch to refill.

Made a fold down bed to extend the seating area and it reached a full 6 ft. Build a wraparound counter top with various levels, and shelving underneath. The inverter was staged under the counter for easy access and the battery lines were hidden as they reached the front compartment under the seating area and hooked to my deep cycle marine battery. The faucet was a hose bib at the end of the gravity fed copper pipe, and the sink was a galvanized tub with a water container catch below.

Had my portable toilet tucked under the counter area, a cooler space, storage bins, and the gas grill. U had mounts for all my kayaking/paddleboarding gear, towel/clothes space, and food storage. The walls were wallpapered with a beautiful textured paper, Italian tiles, and fully carpeted floor.

It was so useable and functional. I highly recommend you consider this option if you are seeking a new rig! It had twin axles so it was stable and pulled like a dream. I mounted hooks and loops and d-rings all over the place so I could haul my kayaks on the outside, or whatever I wanted to load up. I was going to add a solar panel or a roof deck to sit on and watch the World go by where ever I stopped.

Nothing required winterizing as all systems were removable (battery, water tanks, toilet)

Feel free to ask questions.
Attachments
IMG_2776.jpg
IMG_2776.jpg (301.96 KiB) Viewed 952 times
IMG_2773.jpg
IMG_2773.jpg (293.76 KiB) Viewed 952 times
IMG_2790.jpg
IMG_2790.jpg (127.37 KiB) Viewed 952 times
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 2 Horse Power

Postby Toplessartist » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:56 pm

More pics
Attachments
IMG_2786.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg (226.75 KiB) Viewed 950 times
IMG_2783.jpg
IMG_2783.jpg (264.98 KiB) Viewed 950 times
IMG_2774.jpg
IMG_2774.jpg (135.56 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Toplessartist » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:57 pm

Yep, more...
Attachments
IMG_2780.jpg
IMG_2780.jpg (271.52 KiB) Viewed 948 times
IMG_2791.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg (284.54 KiB) Viewed 948 times
IMG_2784.jpg
IMG_2784.jpg (141.43 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:04 pm

This looks like it was a fun build for you! With 2 kayaks, does that mean this trailer will sleep two? The bed is 6' long. How wide is that bed when in place?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Toplessartist » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:36 pm

The bed only sleeps one but there are outside hooks for a hammock or two. I intended it for mostly day trips to the lakes or reservoirs, not so much for multi-night events unless I do that on my own (which I do mostly). The 2 kayak option was so I had a second one for friends who I might meet up with. My wife isn't big on the kayaking aspect so she can hang out and relax w the dog and read or sleep or cook or whatever she would like.
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Toplessartist » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:42 am

Sold this awesome rig to a young lady who was off to lead kayaking trips in Colorado and needed a camper/trailer to use seasonally. This was perfect for her because it, like kayaking, is only good for 3 seasons. I hope she is still enjoying it and personalized it to make it home away from home.
Toplessartist
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs