Trailer for Luthier

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Trailer for Luthier

Postby Rob Dines » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:13 pm

Just found your forum and I do have some questions. I am graduating from a college of Fine Woodworking and I would like to design or copy a design with the following needs.
Standing headroom, a pop top may be needed, I have owned 3 VW Westy Campers
12-14' length..Towed behind a 240 Volvo
Minimal interior as this is to become my workshop for guitars and small chests....Yes I can firt a bandsaw, router table, planer, and woodstoreage in that space...
Light but with some insulation....
This is to be a rolling live/work/travel trailer....
Is this possible????
If someone has some 12 foot teardrop plans out there?????
Thanks...
Rob
Rob Dines
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:24 pm

There are no 12' teardrop plans that I know of. Also, teardrops are not typically tall enough to stand in. And if you could stand in one, in the middle, what happens when you get to the edges where the roof curves down?

I would reconsider. It sounds like you want a fine woodworking shop on wheels. It sounds like you'll have to build a tiny travel trailer, not a teardrop. As an option you might consider an older canned ham!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:01 pm

You might look at Maxitear

http://www.maxitear.com/maxitear/MaxiTear.html

I am 6 foot and could stand in it. It is not a teardrop as we know one but it has no restroom and an inside kitchen.

He built it with help of several teardrop folks but this is not the size mike is dealing with on his site.

There may be forums for trailer builders I know of one for bus convertions but I have lost the site. You might also look at gypsy trailers they are fancy and have ofter 4 wheels like a wagon. We have a Gypsy wagon member but I have not heard from him in a while. Mike may have a conection.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Trailer for Luthier

Postby angib » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:52 am

Rob Dines wrote:If someone has some 12 foot teardrop plans out there?????

The Compact 2 on my web site meets some of your requirements, but not all - though it might be a suitable basis to start from.
Biggest 'miss' is that it ain't teardrop-shaped!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs