Convertible Cargo trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Convertible Cargo trailer

Postby WoodSmith » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:08 pm

I've been thinking about Tear Drops for a few years, since I saw the Kuffel Creek ad in Fine Woodworking. I recently found this wonderful forum via the TD web ring and have really enjoyed reading and seeing all of the info and projects. I've recently changed jobs (involuntarily) and I am now doing mobile bathtub and countertop refinishing. I currently work out of the back of my pickup with my tools stored in several plastic toolboxes. As things (and cash flow) improve, I'd like to get an enclosed cargo trailer to work out of.

Which brings me to how this relates to T&TTT.

I can't justify building a dedicated TD (storeage, registration, maintenance...) in addition to this fantasy work trailer - but I can justify making the work trailer do double duty. Use it primarily for work, then when I need a break, pull the tools and reconfigure it as a camper.

I see the inside walls inulated and paneled, then a french cleat hung at coutertop height and chest level around the perimeter of the (non door) walls. Cabinets would be designed to hang from the cleat and could be removed for either function. This method would also allow a transverse childrens bunk to be moved from the counter top level up to the higher mount during the day for a shelf or moved from the back of the trailer to a more central location for use as a table.

How big a cargo trailer should I get? I'm thinking 5x8 or 5x10. I know lots of you are building 4x8x4 foot trailers. I have a 5 year old and a bun in the oven, so I think I'll need more room for sleeping. And for working out of, I will want to be able to stand in it so that means 6 foot interior height. However, I will be driving this around the city and parking it 2-5 times a day, so I do want to keep it 'small'.

The biggest obstacle that I see are the doors. Most all the cargo trailers I have looked at have closure mechanisms similar to semi trucks. A pivoting verticle rod with a hook at either end and a handle in the middle. To close you swing the handle around which hooks the top and bottom of the door and pulls it tight. But it only works from the outside. :( Great if I want to lock my daughter in and get some peace and quiet, :twisted: but not exactly ideal. Since this is the only way to lock the door, there is no securing it from the inside, which makes sleeping inside rather more drafty and less secure than I would like.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas?
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Cargo travel trailer

Postby crankshaft » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:58 am

Well Glen,, Welcome to the club

My father passed away late last year and left me a brand new 5 X 10 Wells Cargo trailer. I was looking for a tear drop at the time and I said to myself, "Self" why not try converting this thing into a camper.

The first thing I did was make a floor plan with measurements, Then I cut a window on each side and one in the front. They turned out great. I then insulated and paneled the interial, installed a roof vent, laid down a vynal floor covering , designed a bed, closet and some storage space Put in a dual electrical system, 110 and 12 volt . I also have a spot for a port a potty.

To take care of the door lock you were concerned about. I removed the lock bar and bought a camper door latch that can be opened and locked from either side.

At the rear I fabricated a galley with all the trimmings including stove and water supply. I even put in a auto stereo . I made a awning to cover the galley area and I'm almost ready for a camping trip.On the rear door I left the original lock bar for security .

The only thing I see a problem with is It not a light weight , but I can tow it with my Jeep or pick up any where I want to go.And it tows like it's not even back there.

Sorry I don't have a digital camera so no photos but I'm satisfied with the way it turned out and best of all I can remove every thing in a matter of minuites so I can still haul "Stuff" as needed.

I notice that Home Depot outlets have trailers simular to mine and they come in various sizes.

Good luck with your project.

Crankshaft
crankshaft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:23 am

My son-in-law's Dad did this so he could haul his harley around.

He added a dead bolt to keep the door closed and also uses a lock to keep people from locking him in at night.
Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs