how durable is the weekender

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

how durable is the weekender

Postby huntinhick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Hello,

I am looking to build a small hunting/fishing camper, I have a Suzuki grand vitara with the V6 it is rated at 1500 lbs towing and 150 lbs tounge weight so I must go small. I like the look of the weekender and it sounds somewhat easy to build, the cricket sounds nice also. anyway now to my question I will be towing on forest service roads and back roads alot this means potholes and washboards will the weakender hold up to this abuse? also I see that Mike put a table in his mock up, if using the 4x8 solo would that work in it? one last thought you might want to put a disclaimer on this site because this can become a dangerous additction, I tried to have my neighbor talk me out of trying and now he is looking for a trailer frame!!

great site and great post!!

Carl
huntinhick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:30 pm

Warning: Reading the posts at T&TTT can be addicting... you might find yourself building a teardrop, even if that wasn't your original intent!!!

Mike...

P.S. Someone put up a post similar to the above once before... I can't remember if it was here or over at the old place... does anyone remember that?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: how durable is the weekender

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:43 pm

huntinhick wrote:Hello,

I will be towing on forest service roads and back roads alot this means potholes and washboards will the weakender hold up to this abuse? also I see that Mike put a table in his mock up, if using the 4x8 solo would that work in it? Carl

Hey Carl,

Durability... ya you can do that... We know of a couple really durable types... Dave N.
http://td.roughwheelers.com/

and also Larry S.
http://www.outbackteardrop.com/

The common denominator is that they used a rugged trailer to build upon, and they built a durable box to set on top of it...

The weekender can be just as durable. The key is to re-inforce all the joints. For example, if you put 2x2s along all the key joints, and glued and screwed the plywood to the 2x2s, it's probably not going to come apart.

Is 3/4" plywood necessary if you are building an offroad teardrop? Not necessarily. You could use lighter plywood, put in all your 2x2's and then skin the inside to hide the 2x2s.

Carl, it sounds like you are camping mostly alone. That'll make it really easy to build. For one person, you'll have so much room you might feel like you are at the Hilton!

Regarding the table, I would attach it to a wall, and set a bench in front of it, and you're good to go.

What I found building the weekender, is that it goes together so quickly (1 morning for the prototype) that you can try a few different ideas, and if it doesn't work out, there's not much lost time...

Just remember to build robust, and you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd like to close by suggesting that you read Dave's story about washboard roads...
http://td.roughwheelers.com/BajaAdventure2004/

Mike...

P.S. Where will you be camping on forest service roads? Anywhere near Michigan? If so, I need to come over and pick your brain!!! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby huntinhick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:39 pm

Mike,

the "first one I build will be a solo or one that one of my kids kids could maybe climb in also, however I am already looking for a bigger one to build later. I plan on picking up an old 60's suburban and making it the family camping wagon. that should up my towing limit quite abit. however I will still need one that I can just take off with for weekend deer hunts or stuff like that. I checked out the mini grass hopper also, nice.. to many choices. may have to build several ahhh. so it sounds like they will take rather rough roads with the proper build. could I still use the harbor freight trailer if I reenforce it (ie weld it)? I am in washington state so I will not be coming that way for a few years however it is on my list of places to visit. I guess if full size campers can go someplace I can take a tear drop there. I saw the post on heaters today and that is one option I am going to add. I think I am going to have and issue a small tear drop addiction......

Carl
huntinhick
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs