Upgrade my original project

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Upgrade my original project

Postby bvc2000 » Thu May 05, 2005 8:10 pm

This year i plan on upgrading my starter project (the project posted here in my personal photo album). That is, making it bigger.

I plan on increasing it in length so that the living room area is bigger and an extra speeping area may be added. I also plan on keeping the current fold out room, but with some improvments and reinforcments.

I have ben drawing on paper several different design options, such as increasing its size lengthwise, or adding a foldout room on the oposite side, or adding a slide out (lengthwise).

I havent yet decided which one to do, but i am leaning twards a lengthwise upgrade.

The (camper) unit is bolted down to a flatbed trailer currently and can be removed. It was built with the intent, so that i could remove it for maintenance, or to put it on something else, (another trailer, flat bed truck or stand alone on a cement slab). It takes 4 hydrolic jacks at each corner of the unit, placed under the 2x6's which are bolted to the housing. The unit is then elivated off the trailer bed and the trailer is pulled out from under it.

My questions are, is it possible to add another axle to an existing single axle trailer?

If it is found to not be practical, does anyone know anything about the strength and reliability charicteristics of aluma light trailers or similer products?

Bill :roll:
bvc2000
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs