New TTT plan: small push-out.

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby jmullan99 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:35 am

Most certainly. But, this is my learner. And a lot I did learn too! First is the wood used. 3/8 ply is not TTT friendly in my opinion. Second, build the walls "on the ground". Much easier to get things squared up. Third, it's a big pain in the a** to build off the trailer then put it on/off. Jacks are a bit pricey and would not clear the tires/fenders without extending them 6-8" away from the actual box. Fourth, any type of sloped/rounded roof would be much better than flat. At this point however I can park it on a slight angle rather than totally level.

I am sure there are a couple other lessons learned, but those are the biggest!

The next unit will definitely be better :D

mikeschn wrote:It looks like too much work... all that setup and what not...

Mike...
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby jmullan99 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:14 am

Well, made much progress. I am taking it out this coming long weekend to test her out. And I will take the opportunity to snap some photos of the camp setup while out.

The push-up portion is now a 5 piece manual assembly (for now). Pictures of that particular area to follow soon.

There are several little items to complete. The next couple of evenings should see that completed. All utility systems are working fine.

I will also grab a pic or two of how I temporarily fasten the box to the trailer. Essentially it is 4 turnbuckles (roughly at each corner). I am estimating that the box is 600 lbs empty. 900 lbs loaded (give or take filling the 30gal fresh water tank). GVW of the utility trailer is 1400 lbs (210 weight of the actual trailer). So I have room to play. I would like some opinions on my choice of fastening before I speed down the highway.

Galley (refer to go on right side):

On demand water heater mounted in camp position (stored for travel):
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:18 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Galley looks great. Can we see the rest of the Trailer?
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jmullan99 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:40 pm

I will grab a few more pics soon. Just got back in from trial run. Posted a couple of those pics. The toilet room is not yet finished (toilet not delivered in time for the trip). That is about the only view not yet photographed.

Now, the greatest joy so far came from the fact that every passer-by looked, and commented favorably. Some were actually jealous. :D Gotta love it. Even my wife (who said "what do we need that for") was impressed that so many were impressed. Funny thing about it is that I'm not satisfied with the rather low quality construction I did (can't wait for #2).

Here is the camp setup. On-board 230AH batteries/1000W inverter kept the little fridge running for 2 days. It helped that I put a case of bottled water (frozen) at the start of the trip, to minimize run time.

Here is the mobile waste water tank. The only on-board tank is 30gal fresh. (I really gotta trim out the wheel well area :thinking:

My toilet will arrive this week and I will install, put out the pop-up portion and share pics. 8)
jmullan99
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs