Compact III weight question

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby brian_bp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:38 pm

If the tandem trailer is still functional on one axle, then that axle is sized for the entire trailer weight, and the extra axle is adding zero capacity. On the other hand, if you try to size so that each axle (with its set of wheels and tires) is so light that it can only handle half the trailer weight, then one axle will always be overloaded, because they never share load quite evenly.

I can believe that a minimal axle with 12" wheels and tires (and no brakes) is only about 80 lb... but that's a meaningful fraction of the weight of a small trailer. At the size of a Compact, it's an inadequate axle - each of the tandem axle assemblies would likely be heavier than 80 lb.

Tandems are interesting, but a tandem setup at a weight that a reasonable single axle could easily handle (such as the Compact) doesn't make sense to me.

Small tandem fans might like the Fiber Stream. I think it's too large to be considered a "tiny" travel trailer, but it's hard to find a smaller tandem.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:31 pm

brian_bp wrote:Small tandem fans might like the Fiber Stream. I think it's too large to be considered a "tiny" travel trailer, but it's hard to find a smaller tandem.

I think the Fiber Stream demonstrates well that the main benefit of tandem axles is to allow smaller wheels to be used, which then either require no wheel boxes (internal fenders) or much lower (but longer) wheel boxes.

However as most folk here seem to think a larger diameter wheel/tire is always better, a big-wheel solo axle should be more popular than a small-wheel tandem axle.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby swissarmygirl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:35 pm

planovet wrote:
starleen2 wrote:African or English???

Huh? I... I don't know that. [Auuuuuuuugh....as he is thrown over]

teeheeheehee....
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 pm

angib wrote:The unladen weight estimate was 1,560 lb and the laden estimate was 2,170 lb (with a full 28 gal water tank), so it's nowhere near your Mazda's tow limits..

Andrew

Note: The same cars in Yurrip and Merca come with different towing specs. Seems they don't want us towing anything here with anything less than a gas-guzzling SUV. :roll:

In Yurrip, they go to the other extreme. You might see a tiny Kia towing a 14-foot camper (ooops, I mean caravan) down the road in the summertime. :o

Go figure. :thinking:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby brian_bp » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:34 pm

angib wrote:
brian_bp wrote:Small tandem fans might like the Fiber Stream. I think it's too large to be considered a "tiny" travel trailer, but it's hard to find a smaller tandem.

I think the Fiber Stream demonstrates well that the main benefit of tandem axles is to allow smaller wheels to be used, which then either require no wheel boxes (internal fenders) or much lower (but longer) wheel boxes..

I agree with the logic, but in practice a small trailer will likely need the wheelhousings even with the short tires (the Fiber Stream does), and packaging around a housing almost twice as long could be a bigger problem than the tall housings, especially in short travel trailers with a side door. As always, design is an exercise in compromise.

Specifically for the Fiber Stream: the stock tires are 4.80-12, while my heavier Boler uses a single axle with 205/75R14 tires. The tandem setup's tires are only 6" shorter but the wheelwheel is almost twice as long.

Two axles with short tires works particularly well for flat-deck trailers which need a wide deck and thus can't put the wheels outboard, such as two-across snowmobile trailers. Maybe that's of value to someone trying to build a teardrop with a wide bed and still fit it behind a narrow tug without protruding trailer wheels.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs