mini camping trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby McTeardrops » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:20 am

Randy

I've got a sixteen foot long tongue that I bolt to my axle to carry lengths of steel or oak planks. Tows like a dream, as long as I don't have to back up, so I don't think a tongue can be "too long."

I suggest that you extend the tongue back through your frame, and add racks on both ends of the existing box. I made my kayak rack using pairs of floor flanges bolted to the tongue, and threaded 1 1/2" pipe. Height would depend on if you want to open the box with kayaks loaded. Shorter is better. I would size the tongue to reuse the existing coupler. Go with 1/4 inch wall if you want to drill and tap connections. Set the axle back ten percent+ more than halfway, or trial and error with your usual load to set tongue weight.

I don't know if you're carrying short creek boats or long sea tourers, but you CAN order tube in ten meter lengths!
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

mini camping trailer

Postby Randy_Taylor » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:49 pm

thank you all for your imput. I really like Dale's idea of adding to the back. that would help me keep the weight ballanced and make the trailer longer. the Kayak is a 14' ride on Sea kayak.

so does anybody know where i should look for the steel in the long beach Ca. area? or what a 7' peice of 2"x2" 1/4' steel should cost.

oh, anything special about the steel that i need? cold rolled or any thing like that?

again, thanks so much. you guys are great. i have been lurking here for a year now and sometimes i am up to the wee hours reading your posts.

i feel like i am a teardrop builder/designer vicariously through you. :applause:

one day i will go to an event and meet you all and convince the wife.
dreaming of tears, trying to convince the wife.
Randy_Taylor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cracker39 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:45 am

I hope it works for you. I see I am not the only one trying to convince a wife. Even my design seems to small for her. But, I think my completing the model has helped some as she can now see just what it will look like inside.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs