Interesting Hybrid Trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby swissarmygirl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:57 am

And everybody gets so upset about bears over here!?
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:14 pm

Hmmm, those chocolate flavored tires sounded like a good option :oops:

With bears is all about not sleeping close to where food is cooked or stored. In Yosemite I remember seeing a bear destroy the side of an RV as he climbed in the window to join a family having dinner.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Re: Now you's know why me no go sleep in one-o-these..

Postby brian_bp » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 pm

sitnievasnie wrote:...But afore you trot off all bright eyed an squrril tailed have a gander at what I'm on about first... :shock:

My question: what was on that tire to make it seem like food to a lion? :thinking:

We have a rigid-walled travel trailer instead of a tent trailer (a.k.a. "pop up") because of my wife's concern about bears. The lions here are mountain lions (but we call them cougars), and you never even see them, let alone have your vehicle eaten by them! A bear encounter, on the other hand, is a real possibility.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Bears, lions, and things that go bump in the night...

Postby sitnievasnie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Brian from SA 8)

I doubt if the tyre was purposly baited with EG blood scent.

More'n likley the vehicle drove over traces of blood or picked up the scent of something that the lions prey on that may have been lying in the road afore the vehicle got there..

Oh an buy-the-way, a couple of postins back up the thread (I still ain't got the hang of that quote thingie yet) Schaney (great thread ya got goin!) said "all we've got to contend with here is mosquitoes..." Sadly, in Africa, that wee bugger is responsible for the death of 1 child every 3 minutes of every day (maleria). Fortunately, that's not the case here in Southern Africa.

(Oh Madjack, please-pretty-please can I get sarky about our "health" Minister, .....Dr. Beetroot.....) :oops: :oops:

Have yourself a great day
Warren
Be gentle
sitnievasnie
Teardrop Builder

Difference in camping:

Postby Jim55 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:51 am

That’s the difference between camping in Africa and camping in North America. Here the camp sites are open and animals can wander through. There they (the people) are fenced in with wires. (Those in the game reserves are. Some 4x4 enthusiasts still rough it out in the bush.) :applause:

I remember travelling through Etosha in Namibia. Every time one wants to see the wild on foot, you go into a hide. The entrance is in a parking lot — open area so that one can scan what animals are close by. Then you go through a gate into a barb-mesh tunnel with a gate that you close behind you. This leads for about half a mile to the hide at a water-hole. :oops:

Even with the fences around the camps, animals still get in. One night we were having a barbecue in Northern Natal. While roasting the meat I continually scanned the grass on the other side of the fire pit with my powerful light. Good thing! Suddenly two very large eyes lit up in the light. Needless to say, we took our meat and retreated backwards into the hut, while blinding the leopard or hyena with the light. :?

That night all the other guests in the camp thought that we were crazy, driving, and not walking everywhere!!! :lol:

Jim
Jim55
Teardrop Builder

Postby bgordon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:45 am

Hi,

Travelling in Africa only takes a little planning, and then mostly you'll be ok...
Last edited by bgordon on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Night fright

Postby sitnievasnie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:58 am

Hi Bgordan,

Something like this wee chap? :thinking:

Regards warren
Be gentle
sitnievasnie
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:23 am

swissarmygirl wrote:And everybody gets so upset about bears over here!?

Ya know...bears don't seem so bad now. :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs