OFFROAD TEAR

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:35 pm

I have a model of the hummer tear. Can you pull dimensions off a model? Or do I need to drop it into paper space and slap some dimensions on it. The later will take longer of course!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:01 am

mike
any help, model, drawings etc would be of tremendous value!!
thanks
jeff
Jeff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:26 am

Okay Jeff,

I don't have time to make drawings right now, but here's a couple models...

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/rugged/rugged.wrl
http://www.mikenchell.com/images/rugged/rugged2.wrl

Each model is 4 megs, so if you are on dialup, allow enough time to download them.

You can measure anything in the model with Model Press Reader

You can download Model Press Reader here... http://www.modelpress.com/download.htm
It's the second program on the page...

Mike...

P.S. For the rest of you, if you just want to view the model, and spin it around in space... you need the Cortona client to view the VRML (wrl) files above, you can download the free MS Internet Explorer addin here...
http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/

P.P.S. This model doesn't have any axle detail. Nor did I develop the galley area. Sorry about that.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:39 pm

thanks mike!!!
Jeff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeff » Sat May 07, 2005 4:42 am

it has been a while, but i am making some slow progress. i have received the axle, and to boot i picked up a utility trailer, in terrible shape-plywood rotten so bad when i towed it home it was wobling in the wind, i thoght i might lose it,and the tongue is bent. i am not sure if i am going to use the frame or not, i spent allday today stripping her down to the frame. the frame was in supprisingly good shape. but the key to this trailer was a clear title here in pa. not so easy to come by especially at a low price. i am a little overwhelmed with the design process, i have seen and thought of so many ideas that i am indecissive. the only thing i am sure of is, i'm not sure! i do plan on incorporating a roof tent into the scheme. i like the looks of the weekender and the hummer.
Jeff
Teardrop Inspector

hummer help

Postby Jeff » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:41 am

i am wondering if anyone can help with actual dimensions for the hummer profile. this is the way i am going to go. i have been watching this site for a couple of months, it's been fun watching some of the design concepts/ideas come to life! winter warior, lil diner, etc... and soon to be the hummer, not sure of the specifics, lots of ideas but at the least i have made my mind up for the actual shape, a very tough decision! my axle is 72" hub face to hub face, so it will be plenty wide. as far as height i am pretty sure i am going with 60" inside height, for a possible sitting/table assembly to fold up or down. my thoughts with length are, i would love to make it 10 long, but i am reluctant due to turning radius of a possible 15' trailer (with the tongue) so i am heading towards a shorter version, but would appreciate input on this. also another question for you guys is, i am using 15" wheels, on a standard trailer wheel does any one know what the largest tire size is that can be mounted on them? i am going to use bfg all terrains, do not know what size to look for. thanks in advance!
Jeff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:30 am

i am working on some finalization on my drawings, when completed will post. i have also picked up the roof tent, i can not believe the enjoyment of this project...and i am barely started.
Jeff
Teardrop Inspector

For Mexican Tear

Postby xe1ufo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:20 pm

Hey Kai:

Did you build and register your tear in Mexico? I am in Queretaro, and am wondering how much hassle I will have.

Are we the only Mexicans on this great list?

Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Re: For Mexican Tear

Postby ralaco » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:40 pm

Are we the only Mexicans on this great list?

No

:D

I'm from Monterrey, Nuevo Leon

:wine:

Raul
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby xe1ufo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 pm

We are going to have to start a Mexican Teardrop section, Raúl and Kai ...

:thumbsup:
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby Wright » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:04 am

bump...

What ever happend to this thread??

like the Idea.. but it seemedto have died out....

Wright
:BE Wright

SEMPER FI
Wright
*teardrop schemer

Postby Flonker » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:09 am

mikeschn wrote:Okay Jeff,

You can measure anything in the model with Model Press Reader

You can download Model Press Reader here... http://www.modelpress.com/download.htm
It's the second program on the page...

Prob is, I use Linux. Yeah, qcad works for me, but I haven't had the time to learn it yet. Know of a java-based vrml plugin anywhere?
Flonker
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs